PDA

View Full Version : Seeking halibut advice off Port Angeles

Navanax
03-15-2010, 11:12 PM
Maybe its a crazy idea, but I'm thinking of setting up in 80-90' of water on top of Hein or Eastern bank this May with a live boat and spearing a halibut. Anyone ever do this? I've got the gun and reel, toying with clipping it off to a line to a buoy on the surface.

Devildiver
03-16-2010, 10:45 PM
I haven't, but I'm aiming for that this year. I am going to avoid the reel though, and just use a float line setup instead. If you get out before me, I'd love to hear how it goes.

dive0saur
03-17-2010, 02:19 AM
Never done it myself but I hear you may be in for a ride. Don't shoot anything too big or it will drag you all over at that depth and needless to say that can cause issues. The one person I've spoke to that has done this was on double 100's and used all his gas taking this fish down at 80ft, He didn't have a float line but I bet thats what he would have done instead. Good luck, make sure to post your story.

Navanax
03-17-2010, 11:05 PM
The float line seems to be the key as well as picking the fish. I rod and reel this area and most of the fish are 40-60 with some dink 20's. I figure if I can handle a 20 on a pole spear a gun on a 60 is a piece o' cake :-)

I'll post either with a fish, smile, and blood on the deck or a skunk.

Samson
03-23-2010, 03:04 PM
That sounds like fun! Want some company? I have a 29' Hydra sport we can use if needed.
You would have to be very cautious about the currents as they can be wicked out there, but im game!

I have posted this same idea on the local dive forum.

Navanax
03-24-2010, 08:26 PM
Samson, let's talk - PM sent