PDA

View Full Version : Sunday 2/2

100days-a-year
02-03-2003, 05:09 PM
Awoke to the sounds of "Seas 1-2 feet winds decreasing and becoming variable".We ran out about 20 miles to 59 degree water.Me with a new spearfisherman.He drops down on the 1st ledge and gets his 1st legal grouper a 15#red grouper and a minute later I get a 25# gag and a 8# lobster.There are snapper and grouper eveywhere but all real close or not legal.We hook'n line up some nice B-liners and humpback rockbass then add a 10# red snapper.Next dive we add a 6# lobster for me and an 8 1/2# and 5# for him.Hooked a 200#+ stingray on a livie and fight it for about 30min thinking I have a big cob or jack or maybe even a Warsaw or Jewfish.When we get color(vis was 20' or so) we see the wings and moan.Head back in at over 30Kts on flat seas in time to be cleaned up and showered by 5.Hope he doesn't expect this every time.

greyface
02-04-2003, 08:27 AM
Beginer's luck?!:D Thanks for the post. North or South?

blue gun
02-04-2003, 06:04 PM
Thanks for the report. Sounds like fun.

100days-a-year
02-04-2003, 06:36 PM
North and east of HG.100' or so.This was his first grouper,we've been friends and fished a lot starting a long time ago on SeaLove.Last year got him certified and put a gun in his hands.He's gotten big hogs in S.Florida but no grouper til now.I have more fun with other people gettin' nice fish than me.I just need enough to eat.Heard today of a friends boat getting a limit of gags and 8 lobster.I hate show-offs.;)Greyface ,have you done well yet?The fish start getting thicker now till may.

Steel Shootin'
02-04-2003, 06:51 PM
Thanks for the report. That guy must have been pumped-up after doing so well his first trip.

Shooter Dan
02-05-2003, 01:12 PM
Thanks for the story Tony. I've seen a few of thost Southern Brown Rays on past dive. MONSTERS?

It's a kick to see a newbie take a trophy.

greyface
02-05-2003, 08:17 PM
Tony, I'm embarrassed to say, I haven't shot jack crap. I need some new dive buddies!:D The only one with a boat here, hates cold water.:( My Aquasport (Scamp Daddy :D) is only 17', & the yoke (where the steering attaches to the 20 yr. old engine) is so rusted, I'm afraid to take her offshore anymore.

Diverdave76
02-06-2003, 06:17 PM
Hey guys, I get down to Fla several times a year and love to hunt big fish and lobster. I've been lucky and got a number of large AJ's but not much else. What is a "gag"?

Looking forward to spending the last week of Feb on a buddies boat coming out of Riviera Beach Marina. We'll be hunting for 5 straight days, running north looking for big fish. Sure would like to hit something other that an AJ; although sure is fun to hit one of those suckers when it's over 35 or so lbs.

Dave

greyface
02-06-2003, 07:21 PM
Howdy DDave - welcome aboard. A gag is a type of grouper. Or, a prank, if one of the Hermes brothers are around.:D

kitefisherman
02-06-2003, 07:34 PM
Gag:

100days-a-year
02-07-2003, 06:49 PM
Notice the cunning look,the devious eyes.Just waiting to embarass his would be stalker ,warily staying 3 feet beyond your farthest shot.Greyface we regularly take my buddies boat a 17' Proline out o the DD and Bear.He takes 30 gallons of xtra fuel .I have a 80 gallon tank so I'm safe.59 degrees ain't cold ,just gotta wear a lotta rubber.Sunday looks good.

richhermes
02-07-2003, 07:40 PM
"Famous Hermes Gag"

Turning each others' air off at depth. Now that is a knee slapper!!

HAHAHAHA