PDA

View Full Version : Potholes carp spearing

kendo
04-17-2010, 07:12 PM
So I posted a reply to a post in the freshwater section but thought it would be more appropriate in the PNW section. The original thread was about spearing in WA lakes.

Reviving another old thread. Didn't make sense that Washington wouldn't at least have carp legal to spear since I bowfish them there whenever I can. The local WA hunting and fishing magazine always does a story about bowfishing in the spring so why not spearing them. So I took the time to look this up in the fishing regs and found this blurb; "Common Carp, Shad: No min. size, No daily limit, No possession limit. Common Carp may also be taken by Spear or Bow and Arrow." I think where the confusion comes in is under the "Tackle" portion of the freshwater regs the first line reads; "Hook and Line angling only." You can also go for bull frogs but everything else seems off limits.

Only reason I bring this up is that I'll be back in WA in July for a couple of weeks and was going to stop by Potholes reservior on my drive from the westside to Spokane. If anyone would like to meet up to try shooting some carp then they're more than welcome. Potholes is by far the best place I have bow fished Carp and I've seen good vis out there from the surface so it only makes sense that spearing them would work out pretty well. Just be warned that I am still very new to this sport and after spending a year over seas I'm sure I will look like a retarded flouder in the water.

dive0saur
04-18-2010, 12:54 AM
Wow, your totally right, I've never noticed it says that under common carp! Seems as though there is a bit of contradiction in the regs. I wonder why they would put the line under tackle, "Hook and line angling only." While they clearly state that carp can be taken by spear or bow.....

Anyone know of any good lakes to take carp in western Washington!??? And what do they taste like? I've never had carp before.

Good eye Kendo!

seguyette
04-18-2010, 10:08 AM
i'm moving do spokane june 1st. I don't know if I will be available when you are going for carp, but send me a PM and I'll drive over if I can. I am moving from miami so I wanted to find something to shoot with my spears. Thanks for finding this and posting it. Keep in touch

old fat guy
04-21-2010, 05:43 PM
Wow, your totally right, I've never noticed it says that under common carp! Seems as though there is a bit of contradiction in the regs. I wonder why they would put the line under tackle, "Hook and line angling only." While they clearly state that carp can be taken by spear or bow.....

Anyone know of any good lakes to take carp in western Washington!??? And what do they taste like? I've never had carp before.

Good eye Kendo!

Most people do not realize that Carp are not indigenous to the Americas. They were imported from the Germanic areas of Europe as a food source. I have met people directly from Germany that (via an interpreter) told me that in Germany, Carp is a traditional Christmas dinner. I have prepared them as I would any other fish and enjoyed them. My friend Bruce Boyd smokes a few every year and when he brings a package to a Spearfishing meet everybody goes bananas over a few morsels of the smoked filets.

Take care,
Old Fat Guy

North Star
04-21-2010, 05:59 PM
I have speared suckers in fresh water lakes and rivers in west central Oregon, but never any carp. Anybody know about any carp spearing in Oregon?

barbin35
04-22-2010, 12:23 PM
It is legal to spear carp in Oregon, you can find them in just about any lake. I have not speared any but i know of some lakes that i know for sure have carp mostly small dirty lakes near Salem.

North Star
04-23-2010, 12:19 AM
Thanks. Sometimes lakes and rivers have to do for spearfishing when the ocean is blown up. I will look around and see what I can find, unless you have a specific recommendation of a particular lake.

barbin35
04-23-2010, 02:03 PM
I cant seem to find the names but one in particular that I'm thinking about is across from the airport in salem kind of behind the new walmart and lows, there is a park there and a tiny lake the one closer to hwy 22 its so small i don't know if its even deep enough to dive its more like a pond that might only be 6' deep at its deepest but then again ive never been in it. I know it has carp in it. Foster lake and Greenpeter lake near Sweet home OR has carp much bigger lake with clean water. Let me know what you find I would like to try it out my self some day if there is any plases near portland let me know I dont have time to go to the coast anymore and i work every saturday.

North Star
04-23-2010, 06:31 PM
Barbin - I know where the Salem lake is you mentioned. I will check it out. I have dived a lot at both Green Peter lake and Foster lake (Foster is across the street from my house) and speared a lot of suckers and squaw fish in both, but have never seen any carp in either - maybe I haven't been in the right places. Thanks for your help.

barbin35
04-24-2010, 12:41 AM
Let me know how it goes. It would be interesting to hear.

Devildiver
04-24-2010, 11:05 PM
Barbin - I know where the Salem lake is you mentioned. I will check it out. I have dived a lot at both Green Peter lake and Foster lake (Foster is across the street from my house) and speared a lot of suckers and squaw fish in both, but have never seen any carp in either - maybe I haven't been in the right places. Thanks for your help.

Where are you finding the pikeminnow (formerly Squafish)? I've been wanting to get in some lake spearing, but most of the high lakes around Bend don't have shootable fish in them.

I drive through Sweet Home a few dozen times a year, would you be interested in doing some spearing on Foster Lake?

How's the vis? Fish numbers? What's the hunting like?

North Star
04-25-2010, 04:52 AM
Where are you finding the pikeminnow (formerly Squafish)? I've been wanting to get in some lake spearing, but most of the high lakes around Bend don't have shootable fish in them.

I drive through Sweet Home a few dozen times a year, would you be interested in doing some spearing on Foster Lake?

How's the vis? Fish numbers? What's the hunting like?

Devildiver - Pike minnow are in the south fork of the Santiam river and foster lake. We usually do not hunt either till memorial day because that is when they fill the lake, and the river is too high/fast until mid summer to hunt.

Love to have you stop by - I live on Hwy 20 so you drive right by my house. I will PM you with the details.

Vis in the lake is better earlier in the year when the water is colder, after it warms up alge blooms and it gets worse - then we switch to the river where the vis has dramatically improved because of slower river flows. Fish numbers vary based on time and place, but we never get skunked. It is a blast, and tunes up your shooting skills for the ocean.

Devildiver
04-26-2010, 03:56 AM
Devildiver - Pike minnow are in the south fork of the Santiam river and foster lake. We usually do not hunt either till memorial day because that is when they fill the lake, and the river is too high/fast until mid summer to hunt.

Love to have you stop by - I live on Hwy 20 so you drive right by my house. I will PM you with the details.

Vis in the lake is better earlier in the year when the water is colder, after it warms up alge blooms and it gets worse - then we switch to the river where the vis has dramatically improved because of slower river flows. Fish numbers vary based on time and place, but we never get skunked. It is a blast, and tunes up your shooting skills for the ocean.

Sounds great, I'll give you a call or shoot you an email when I find the time to head out that way.

I've got a full schedule this week, but maybe next Monday or the following weekend, depending on your schedule.

-Casey

North Star
04-26-2010, 11:22 PM
Week days work best for me, week ends are pretty impossible

Columbia Spearo
06-10-2010, 11:44 AM
Has anyone hit up Pot Holes yet this year? I bowfished and speared it last year...bowfishing was excellent. While I did manage to spear a few carp, vis was poor. I was up in the sand dunes, though.....vis was probably better near the dam. The visibility is usually great in the Columbia River and the carp are bountiful. I have a couple of boats but no spearo buddies in the area...anyone interested in getting out around here?

seguyette
06-10-2010, 12:07 PM
I'd be down for sure. I just moved from miami to Spokane. Arrived here yesterday and was unpacking all my spearfishing gear. Let me know when you head out. PM sent

kendo
06-10-2010, 12:14 PM
Well I now won't be back up to washington until the end of August. I'm down to try out potholes but I have to warn ya I'm still very new to the sport and my diving will be sketchy. Especially since I've been deployed for the past year. I'll definitely send you a PM and I get closer to getting home. I have a new Mako 90cm, wetsuit, and other goodies waiting for me when I get back. Would be great to get my first fish prior to driving back to Kansas.

cdog
06-17-2010, 12:26 AM
Banks Lake used to be pretty good bowfishing for carp. I grew up in Electric City and on either side of the causeway in the tules it is good.