PDA

View Full Version : ling season in washington

shaggie
04-19-2010, 11:00 PM
When is the lincod season in Washington this year. I heard there was talk of changing the rules for spearing this year.

Navanax
04-21-2010, 12:12 AM
It varies from area to area. You can current regs at:
http://wdfw.wa.gov/fishing/
For spearing inside Puget Sound (like Area 9) int he 2009 book, it is 5/21 - 6/15, one fish. That's the last three weeks of the 6 week rod and reel season.
While no size limit for divers (min or max), I think most divers try to honor the rod and reel slot limit 26-36" (used to be 40" max).
I haven't looked for updates online yet.
Ken

Samson
04-21-2010, 10:53 AM
Sorry boys....

The WDFG has screwed us again. They rejected a proposed longer season on ling cod and have imposed minimum and maximum size limits. We can now only shoot lings withing a 12" slot.....26"-36". I even called the Fish and wildlife office and spoke to the regional "fish" guy. He was also a diver and flat out stated that it was a "rediculously stupid law". He also stated that there will be a zero leniency policy on the slot size. I told him that there were going to be alot of dead ling cod left floating in the ocean this season.

He agreed.

Navanax
04-22-2010, 11:22 PM
kinda makes our earlier discussion of shooting big fish moot.

Let's see, "hold still there lingcod so I can measure you even though all I can see is your head back in that crack". Seems like we'd get couple of inches of grace on the high end so we don't waste fish. Was it Palsson you talked to? He's a good guy.

Samson
04-23-2010, 02:19 PM
Yes I believe it was.... I was really wondering what would happen if I actually got a ticket and went to court to fight it. I really have a hard time believing that a Judge would go on record as telling you that you should waste a fish and leave it to rot than to keep it and risk getting a ticket.

Kirby
04-23-2010, 03:21 PM
Yes I believe it was.... I was really wondering what would happen if I actually got a ticket and went to court to fight it. I really have a hard time believing that a Judge would go on record as telling you that you should waste a fish and leave it to rot than to keep it and risk getting a ticket.

He would tell you that you broke the law and make you pay the fine. If the laws were flexible someone could go out, shoot a salmon, and take it home. If they got caught all they'd have to say is they thought it was a perch and didn't want it to go to waste after they shot it and realized it was a salmon.

While I agree that tossing back a big fish with a hole in it would suck, the purpose (and enforcement) of these laws is to keep poaching down. And of course don't take the shot if you don't know the size...