PDA

View Full Version : Newport 4 15 10

North Star
04-20-2010, 02:54 AM
My son Caleb and I went a little north of Newport Oregon last Thursday and shot some nice fish. My ling was 33" and 11 lbs, Caleb got a 26" and 24" ling and a 11 lb cabezon. The rest of his were kelp greenling and blue rock fish, mine were all blue rock fish. Vis was about 5 to 8 feet, not the greatest but OK. Had quite a wrestling match with the ling but you can see who won that contest.

Devildiver
04-20-2010, 11:45 AM
Looks like you do know where that place is!

Good post, glad to see some other PNW posts. Are you guys scuba or freediving?

-Casey

barbin35
04-20-2010, 01:41 PM
North of Newport you say, how far north and do you need a boat to get there or is it a shore dive?

North Star
04-20-2010, 02:50 PM
Devil Diver - We were on scuba this time - just started doing that after 40 years of freediving, after my sons took a scuba class in college and wanted to try that. Both my sons are accomplished freedivers who have been freediving since they could swim, and killed a ton of fish and abalone that way, but recently they both took the class and conned me into buying a boat to go out further to try to get some clearer water and better fish. I took a scuba class when I was 17 (back in the dark ages - BC's hadn't even been invented yet) dove two or three times, went back to freediving, and never looked back - that is, until the boys took the class last year.

Barbin - Yes, we were on a boat, out in the ocean, north of the north jetty on a rock reef.

winklecl
04-20-2010, 03:34 PM
North Star- Great report! Looks like you all had a good time and a successful day. You must have gotten pretty lucky with the swell to be out in the clear water.
Read about your sharky run-in on the other post. Not something I think that I would enjoy greatly. Glad there weren't any major problems. Was there a pinniped colony close by or may be a whale calf?
Lastly, you say that your family are ab divers as well? Norcal or are you finding them in Or as well?

Looking forward to future posts! :thumps:

Clayton

North Star
04-20-2010, 04:37 PM
North Star- Great report! Looks like you all had a good time and a successful day. You must have gotten pretty lucky with the swell to be out in the clear water.
Read about your sharky run-in on the other post. Not something I think that I would enjoy greatly. Glad there weren't any major problems. Was there a pinniped colony close by or may be a whale calf?
Lastly, you say that your family are ab divers as well? Norcal or are you finding them in Or as well?

Looking forward to future posts! :thumps:

Clayton

Clayton - The 15th was the best day that week for swell, and that usually is connected somewhat with vis. I use a web site called magic seaweed dot com to predict conditions before I go over, as I am a two hour drive from the coast. The web site is a surfer's web site, but they predict wind and swell, and really helps to figure out when to go. I like to go when the swell is less than 6 feet and the wind below 10 kts, and preferably on high tide. That usually produces a workable vis. Vis can change, however, in half hour from good to poor so it is a guessing game.

There were definitely seals present, but not a colony. We saw two from the boat before we went in, and there was a whale present, but I did not see any sign of a calf.

Used to live in California 20 years ago and dove at Fort Bragg, and we still go down once a year for a week to get abs and check the old spots for fish.
I checked into abs in Oregon and talked to a ODFW biologist about it but the population seemd tenuous so I felt it best to leave them alone. So, off to Mendicino Coast again in September.