PDA

View Full Version : looking forward...

beaver
04-26-2010, 02:01 PM
So to stop any speculation regarding my absence:
No not kidnapped by aliens.
Not incarcerated, though it is probably a well used excuse around here for being absent from the board ;)

Yes health as in the Big C, in my case chronic lymphatic leukemia.
It has been a long 8 months of diagnosis, biopsies, bone marrow etc.

I have been denied chemo twice now which is a very good thing, reason being I was too healthy. I have fought this with the support of my wife and 1 year old + a ton of great friends. It seems after this final set of tests I am clear for diving again.

So my wife bought me a Halibut Rig Float and line etc from Mako as a gift for my return to the water so I am going hunting this weekend for my first Hali.

The good folks at Mako offered this for free, but we felt a donation on our behalf from Mako to any of the great causes they support was more appropriate. Thanks to Dano for his great offer and to Tony at Spearboard for being so supportive over the last while.

Just a note to say I am so glad to be back and cant wait to post some pictures of some nice fish.

Missed the good energy of this place
Cheers,

Rob

photo of my son at 9 months on his first free dive, I think he needs a gun soon.

jymz
04-26-2010, 03:44 PM
Good to hear Rob. I can't wait to fish with you one day soon.

My ex's dad is three years recovored stage 4 same as yours. He acredits organic food, burdock root and no meats aside from ones you know. A good attitude helped it as well.

Another great move by Dano, I'm not surprised.

I am heading to Sechelt tonight for some halibut hunting in the morning as well. Good luck on your hunt!

ApneaAddict
04-26-2010, 03:58 PM
Amazing story. Congratulations on your recovery. After all you've been through, I think the sea-gods owe you some serious big fish. We'll be looking forward to those photos! Good luck!

North Star
04-26-2010, 04:22 PM
What? your son is 9 months and you haven't gotten him a gun YET? I was going to call child protective services and turn you in for negligent parenting, but since you have been sick I will let it slide at this point - but better buy him one soon, or the hammer falls. What self respecting spearo has a son with no speargun??:D

Seriously, glad you are better, and hope this goes away permanently.

I understand from the latest research that diving is the best therapy for this disease - so go take your medicine! (couldn't stay serious for more than a sentence!)

Navanax
04-26-2010, 05:55 PM
Congrats on the recovery and welcome back to the water. Let us know how the halibut hunting goes. I'm going to hit the Washington waters weekend of 5/7. Took the rig out for a trial run today and am ready to roll.

Samson
04-27-2010, 11:02 AM
Hey Rob!

Glad to hear your back bro.... We need to hook up this summer! I got the new 29' hydra sport with twin 250's on her.... she can really get us on the fish in a hurry... Im up for some Butt hunting starting the 2nd weekend in May.... drop me a line and lets hook up!

beaver
05-03-2010, 10:31 AM
Good to be back

Was out both days of ling and rock fish opening. Unfortunately it was a tide show + 25 knot winds. Had 2 short jumps each day on slack. First jump landed a 25# ling after that the tide just got too much and all the fish were hole up.

Passed on 5 Puget Sound king crabs. Nice to see so many in one spot.

It was a 10 ft tide over 6 hours, currents up to 7 knots.

Day 2 I jumped into 14 ft of water and there was a 40+ ling sitting on a wreck.
It bolted and I spent the next half hour up down and around the wreck seeing it 3 times with no shot before the tide blew me off.

Itís nice when they get away every now and again.

Next weekend I have a spot in 60ft. to try halibut, and itís a long 3 hours of semi slack tide. I hope the wind gods co-operate.

Thanks for all the kind PM and messages of support.
Sorry to hear our brothers down in Washington St. are suffering such punitive regulations on Ling cod fishing. It is the same over here for most of the Vancouver guys. Basically they have to travel by boat to the island and invest lots of time and money just to get to the open coast. I count myself blessed for being born here.

BTW passed my bone marrow testing with minimal invasion so I am clear to dive all summer.

steepNdeep
05-03-2010, 12:39 PM
That's awesome that you're back at it so quick... I have a feeling a 40lb'er has your name on it this year!! Look forward to your reports... reading your reports were my inspiration for trying to find my first ling... :cool: :beer:

Navanax
05-03-2010, 03:33 PM
Winds Friday look OK so far.

North Star
05-04-2010, 12:07 AM
Rob - Do you have a picture of your ling to share with us? Glad for your test results.

jymz
05-04-2010, 11:18 AM
Rob,

You said it man. It costs way too much to swing out to the island chain where your lings are hidden. I can tell you there are 0 where I hunt. I was thinking of swinning out to Sooke with my camper for a few days. Can I park in your driveway? :)

I promise I won't shoot any of your fish!

Devildiver
05-04-2010, 03:00 PM
Hey Rob, glad to have you back on the board. I'm glad to hear that you're winning the fight with the cancer. I can't wait to see how you guys up north fare with the halibut this season. I'm so busy planning a trip to mexico this summer that I don't think I'm going to make it out in time to shoot some hali this season. I'll just have to live vicariously through you!

-Casey