PDA

View Full Version : Where to Spear Fish in Belize - Caye Caulker?

Alloy
05-10-2010, 11:31 PM
Down here now... anyone have experience with this place?

Here's a report so far. We hit the water once, The panga was $150 for a half day. But the seas were rough, so we stayed inside the reef. The depth was 10 to 20 feet and mostly fished out. I told the panga to take us to deep water, he said ok drove to another spot that was 15 feet deep. He then said the deep spot was at an island ...N something (I forgot the name) and it's 50 feet deep and has big fish.

For fish we saw some small Jacks, snapper, and a few large barracuda. I did see one grouper early on, but passed because at the time it seemed small. We ended up taking a few snapper, and a jack for dinner.

Anyone else spear here? Would love to hear your stories!

DISKSKO
05-11-2010, 09:47 AM
I have a partner listed on my website, but not been there yet.

However, I hear that since this year it is supposedly illegal to spearfish. ???

Alloy
05-11-2010, 12:00 PM
Yep I read it was illegal once I got down here. Although being here is another story, no one really seems to mind. Actually yesterday on our first stop the the ranger came and told the panga we were on a reserve? It wasn't a big deal, but the panga was pissed the ranger told us to move. So with that said, if you're white and you spear fish, no one seems to care.

I'll check out your website.... we're probably going to Ambergris today... so will give you an update over there.