PDA

View Full Version : Any Gatherers out there?

steepNdeep
05-11-2010, 11:51 PM
How many of you hunters, gather in the PNW??? Reading about the big abs invertebrates in Cali'... what ,if any, do you gather here? Any pics?

I've never tried, but I just read that pinto & flat abalone range into Canada...

Apparently they just closed limpet (& all unclassified invert's) in Washington.

North Star
05-12-2010, 01:12 AM
Well, we get scallops. Sorry I do not have any pictures. They are about 4" across and look like rocks with a thin white line across the edge that tells you that it is not a rock but that they are a little open and are feeding. Kind of tough to see and find as they are so well camouflaged.

fishhunter24
05-12-2010, 09:48 AM
Lone Ranch Beach has some good abs. North end of the beach.

Navanax
05-13-2010, 12:25 AM
and abs in Washington and BC are closed, probably forever.

no excuses
05-13-2010, 07:22 AM
I will also gather clams and crab while diving, usually in different spots and am just going for a gathering dive.

steepNdeep
05-14-2010, 12:04 PM
Thanks guys!

and abs in Washington and BC are closed, probably forever.

Bummer about the abs up north. Underwater hunters have to unite and fight for our rights, while we still have some... Greenwashing & MPA's are clawing their way up and down the coast...

Scallops will definitely make the menu next ling trip! I might have to entice the wife into a 'family' trip out to ~N. Cal' this summer... :thumps:

Samik
05-17-2010, 10:54 AM
I seem to find BC scallops are best in the worst possible spots. usually deep (50-80'), on a wall, with a good downdraft. they sure are yummy though. keep your eyes peeled in the kelp beds for Box Crab & Rock Scallops.

cruising shallow beaches for sole usually results a few butter clams. I just stuff them under the flap on my wetsuit top and keep hunting.