PDA

View Full Version : Ling and sturgeon 5/22 report

Navanax
05-22-2010, 08:19 PM
Still kicking myself for not going for halibut in the straight as the winds mellowed from the 5 AM report. I just need to get me a big 'ol boat like Samson.

So I decide to hunt lings on the East side of Whidbey island. Saw lots of dinks, one over the slot (36") and couple probably legal. I had one in a cave that looked legal but too close to call so I was teasing it out with the tip of my pole spear to get a better look. They don't like that. Off it went...

But what was incredibly cool was on my safety stop at 15 feet. I get buzzed by a sturgeon. I kid you not. Sliding along just like a white sea bass. At least 5', maybe 6' long. If only I had my halibut gun and float line. Could've made a nice 12' shot broadside. So they have a slot as well, fork length 38" to 54" and have to be a white sturgeon not green. But looks like from the regs you can spear them. And open year round.... makes you think.... It was probably over the slot but where there is one.....

North Star
05-23-2010, 01:39 AM
Sounds like a good time and a great memory of the sturgeon. Impressive to see a fish that big.

Bummer about the oversized ling, but good on ya for passing him up. Always feels better when you do the right thing. Seeing the beauty under the water is reward enough - fish are just the icing on the cake, but you still got the cake.

Navanax
05-23-2010, 12:18 PM
Yeah the big lings are very cool. Funny how they seem to know they are safe. The little ones just hang out. The legals scoot off. Shhe just hung out in a rock pile. I was able to measure her off against my 26 and 36" marks on the pole spear and she was at least 4" over.

steepNdeep
05-23-2010, 01:43 PM
Wow, that sturgeon sounds pretty cool!! I didn't know they were in salt water... I've seen 5 - 6 footers jumping in the Columbia, but never underwater... Spearin' one would be the tow of your life! Good on ya for the restraint to measure the big ling... were you on scuba?

Navanax
05-23-2010, 09:57 PM
Yep. Deep spot (60-80')

kradschutze
07-20-2010, 09:09 PM
Um,,,Not an expert on WA regs, but have been sturgeon fishing OR waters all my life. Sturgeon is single barbless hook only! BIG no-no to spear sturgeon. Pretty sure WA is same. I do not recommend it, WDFW would probably have a cow, I know ODFW would.

Navanax
07-20-2010, 10:50 PM
Thanks for the reminder. I read the regs in more detail after the post and should've updated. You can't spear sturgeon in WA. I missed it the first time through the regs.

No one spear one. It would just bounce off anyway.

North Star
07-21-2010, 12:25 AM
Bounce off? Do they wear plate armor?

steepNdeep
07-21-2010, 01:36 PM
Bounce off? Do they wear plate armor?

Actually - yeah. Cliff Claven says: "Actually No'm,,, They are a pre-historic fish with an evolutionary history over 350 million years old! The body is covered with large armour-like scutes (bony plates) rather than scales like other fishes."

http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/wld/fishhabitats/sturgeon/images/extra_lateral_scutes_sm.gif

My son & I were out rainbow fishing 2 nights ago and a stugeon jumped 10 ft. in front of the canoe! It was cool and I can clearly see the scutes in my memory... :cool:

North Star
07-21-2010, 02:31 PM
Whoa! Sounds like we better break out the depth charges if we want to harvest these bad boys! Nuclear tipped torpedos perhaps? Plate armor CAN be defeated - just got to get serious about it!:D

Navanax
07-22-2010, 11:27 PM
I figure that WDFW made spearing them illegal because WDFW is wise and knew it would be ineffective, thus saving us great frustration and damaged gear. They must want us to use heavier artillery as North Star suggests. Could you shoot one when it's in the air?

North Star
07-22-2010, 11:56 PM
I could do it with my 30.06, but would have a hard time attaching the shooting line to the bullet. Lets see, would that be called free shafting?

Samik
07-30-2010, 12:42 PM
freediving in the Ottawa river I've had 6' sturgeon push me off "their" sandbar. not a fish to screw with.