PDA

View Full Version : How to load a long speargun?

StillNuHunter
05-30-2010, 06:51 PM
I broke my JBL muzzel trying to place the third sling on my 38nw. So now I must wait for a replacement muzzle to arrive.

I was fixing my JBL because I cannot pull the 20cm sling on my new 1.2m Rabitech. How does one develop this ability? Are there any suggestion on how to set up my gun so that I can use it while I develop the strength to cauk it?

Thanks
Lio

On another note; scubaed on the sand while at Catalina while my daughter was doing her Open Water Cert. I was looking for Halibut. Only saw small ones at 15- 20 feet and a few Bat rays. Viz was ...30 ft.

"Yard-Sale Josh"
05-30-2010, 10:24 PM
YouTube- How to load a speargun
Once you get it into your chest and have both hands on the band dont just use your arms get your beck muscles to help you. Its like doing a rowing motion.

overkillphil
05-30-2010, 10:30 PM
Even though this is out of water (which is a no-no) it's a good demo on how to load a >120cm gun.
YouTube- Gunho how to load a speargun

Fis_Hunter
05-30-2010, 10:37 PM
I find if I attempt to load my long gun with it below my sternam I can't do it. I load mine the same way hold onto the band with one hand push out the gun center the but in the middle of my chest reach up with the other hand grab the band and pull back it works great. I do not have a loading pad on my thin suit I was using in hawaii I stopped and picked up the first sandle I saw and stuffed it down the front of my suit it can hurt a little.

classtimesailer
06-01-2010, 02:07 PM
1. Mark the barrel with a piece of tape where the tab/slot is on your shaft.
2. Remove the shaft.
3. Put on a lighter band/sling (18mm or 16mm)
4. Practice pulling the band back to the mark (WITHOUT the shaft).
5. Put your old band back on and practice some more (WITHOUT the shaft).

Make one big pull. It is much harder to do if you do it slowly.
Jeff

StillNuHunter
06-01-2010, 04:11 PM
Thanks!

I have looked at the videos and tried it. Man! Am I a puny little weak man! :(

I'm going to try with thinner slings just like Classtimesailer suggested. I guess I'll just have to develop the strength and skill a bit at a time. I'll switch to thinner slings and mark the gun in order to practice out of the water.

Thank you,

Lio

Jamil
06-01-2010, 05:03 PM
even if your short you can manage. look carefully at the first video Kyle posted. The objective is to get the band stretched to the level you can hold them with both hands. The trick (if you are right handed) is to

(1) hold the rubber from the wishbone with your left hand,
(2) hold the but of the gun with your right hand, with the gun crossing you (as if you and the gun make an X,
(3) push the gun away from you with your right hand (RH still on but and LH still holding wishbone, this will help get the wishbone closer to you.
(4) while you do that make sure the but of the gun finds its way to land on you chest. The gun will now be in the ready to load position. with one major advantage: you have the wishbone of the band close and in the LF.
(5) now put your RH on the band close to wishbone and pull towards you to cock the gun.

Walla. look at the video carefully and you will get what i mean.

Its best to have a loading pad on yous chest as this method tends to put pressure their.

Hope it helps. Watch the video again and you will get it.

Jamil

StillNuHunter
06-02-2010, 06:32 PM
Thanks for you advise!

Lio

StillNuHunter
06-15-2010, 08:53 PM
I started working out pulling 55 lbs. dumbells. I incorporated some sit ups. I then began using the spear gun in my workout. Step one; Pull the band with left hand while pushing loading butt with right hand. Step two: hip loading the band using both hands (kind of like doing curls, also because my chest was tender from past failled attempts). Been doing this everyother day while there is free time at work. Finally today after my chest has heeled from past attempts I tried it again (I recieved my new skin with a loading pad that I ordered from a Hawaiian store). Success! I was able to pull the 20mm band to a mark on the speargun that I had painted where the first spear clip should be. Chest load! Not hip load (I need much more strength for that). It is a start!

I didn't dry load the gun, I just marked it and removed the spear (I have dry/freeline shot my JBL 38 speargun before and it flies! So I will not do this with this 120 Rob Allen.

Thank you for your advice! Now I just need to get enough guts to go to Laguna on my own and get some target practice.

I just have not figured out how to put on the closed pocket long fins while in the surf and holding all this stuff.

I'm very good and fast while on scuba using open heel fins. I just strap my gun to my bcd.

These tight closed heel fins worry me. So I will have to do some practice runs before I haul the geer in across the surf zone at once. Getting my new Omer float should help by being able to strap my gun to it.

Any further advise is welcomed.

Lio

ofer
06-16-2010, 03:10 PM
the first video is done underhanded and the second is overhanded.

What's the right way? or it's what ever you're comfortable with?

I like overhand

seadogger
06-18-2010, 06:07 PM
If your shaft has shark fins...just add another one about 6 " above the first. It's called a pussy tab for girls or smaller guys. If your shaft has cut outs, then use a grinder and cut another notch about 6" above the first. Works great. Just bring your band down to the first fin or notch and then get your gun a little higher on your chest and bring the band all the way to the back fin or notch.:beer::beer: