PDA

View Full Version : Memorial weekend Newport

North Star
06-02-2010, 02:20 AM
Calvin, Caleb and I went out onto the south reef Saturday to a new spot we had not dived previously, and got some nice fish. Vis was about 15 feet - great for the area. No special stories - just a good time with the boys. Caleb shot a 33" ling and a 30" 18lb cabezon - best we have gotten yet in a cab.

You can see our secret weapon in the background of my picture - a Zodi hot water heater/shower - sure is nice to warm up and clean off the salt water after a day of diving.

Calvin limited out on lings and rockfish and shot a couple of surf perch for good measure - his lings were about 30"

My 29" ling committed suicide by swimming about 3" in front of my spear - I accommodated his death wish. He is in a happier place now - in my freezer!

128734 128735

128736 128737

no excuses
06-02-2010, 07:24 AM
nice fish, looks like it was a good weekend for fishing, well unless you were a fish lol.

North Star
06-02-2010, 08:21 AM
nice fish, looks like it was a good weekend for fishing, well unless you were a fish lol.

Yeah but look - these fish got a moment of fame getting their picture on Spearboard - wasn't that worth giving their life for? All those fish we left behind were all depressed about missing their chance to be on the big stage and be famous!:D

On this dive I saw the largest school of black rock fish I have ever seen in my life - must have been a thousand fish in it, all about 13" long.