PDA

View Full Version : Dive Report Olympic Penninsula 6/12/10

tedsterosa1.2
06-14-2010, 11:29 AM
Went camping this weekend with the missus at Mora Campground near La Push. Decided to bring the diving gear along just in case the weather permited. It did and it was a beautiful weekend. We didn't get rained on once. Anyway, Saturday it was sunny, calm, and warm. We went to 3rd beach a little before low tide. It was about as calm as a lake. As soon as we went in vis' was close 2 ft. I could barely see the tip of my spear. As I dove down it just got worse. Tried pokin' around on the bottom a bit, but it just wasn't worth it. No vis=no fish. :(

mepps1
06-14-2010, 09:38 PM
Fishing by braille is never much fun.

steepNdeep
06-14-2010, 10:53 PM
At least you had the sun! If it's rainin' and sh!t vis... you better have a woman with you... :D

North Star
06-15-2010, 12:21 AM
It's called diving by faith, not by sight! :D

LittleGoat
06-15-2010, 03:26 PM
That part of the state is a rain-forest for a reason. Sunny says are few and far between sometimes. Did you at least have fun in the water?

Navanax
06-15-2010, 10:52 PM
How many random shots in 2' vis do you think you'd have to take before you connected with a fish?

mepps1
06-23-2010, 11:07 AM
How many random shots in 2' vis do you think you'd have to take before you connected with a fish?

Well, if you dive with buddies, you're bound to come up with something that way.:D:eek:

Samson
06-23-2010, 11:37 AM
Were you diving 3rd beach reef? From shore? Boat? We dove it last weekend and it was amazing once you got below 60' or so... at least 50 foot of vis...

tedsterosa1.2
06-27-2010, 10:56 PM
yea we were at third beach but did not get out that far. sorry for the delay in reply. how far out is the reef? We had a blast either way. It was great.

Went out yesterday in the Sound between Seattle and Edmonds. Vis was about 15-18ft. Bottom was sandy and eel grass. Saw a few juvenile surfperch, crab, and rock sole. I decided only to get one rock sole. I also saw a HUGE fried egg jellyfish. It was a little unnerving but I feel lucky to have seen it. The deepest I went was about 35-40ft. It drops off pretty steep at one point, but I stuck to where it was more shallow and where I saw more fish. That was about 20 ft. deep on average. Overall it was a GREAT day.

I tried to fillet it, but that did not yield much meat. It pretty much fell apart on the fry-pan so next time I think I'll just grill it up. It was pretty tasty, but there was not much meat that survived. I'll post some pics later on this week.

Samson
06-28-2010, 02:07 PM
yea we were at third beach but did not get out that far. sorry for the delay in reply. how far out is the reef? We had a blast either way. It was great.

Went out yesterday in the Sound between Seattle and Edmonds. Vis was about 15-18ft. Bottom was sandy and eel grass. Saw a few juvenile surfperch, crab, and rock sole. I decided only to get one rock sole. I also saw a HUGE fried egg jellyfish. It was a little unnerving but I feel lucky to have seen it. The deepest I went was about 35-40ft. It drops off pretty steep at one point, but I stuck to where it was more shallow and where I saw more fish. That was about 20 ft. deep on average. Overall it was a GREAT day.

I tried to fillet it, but that did not yield much meat. It pretty much fell apart on the fry-pan so next time I think I'll just grill it up. It was pretty tasty, but there was not much meat that survived. I'll post some pics later on this week.

Yea.. the reef is in about 60fsw about 200yards offshore. Amazing structure, but it would be darn hard to get to it from shore, and then you would be drifting at a pretty good clip N or S depending upon the tide...

tedsterosa1.2
06-28-2010, 05:43 PM
hmmm I'd like to check that out another time. What time of the year is best visibility and water on the coast? In norcal it was around end of summer, fall. Do you kayak out, charter a boat, or have your own boat?

Samson
06-29-2010, 02:00 PM
hmmm I'd like to check that out another time. What time of the year is best visibility and water on the coast? In norcal it was around end of summer, fall. Do you kayak out, charter a boat, or have your own boat?

Visibility at Neah bay is great most of the year. Visibility is best in the winter, but the weather is alot more unpredictible. Even when the conditions are poor it is still usually 30-50' of vis.

We tow our own boat out there, but there are a couple charters avail. There are several good sites, including 3rd beach that you could run a kayak out to and then do a drift dive.