PDA

View Full Version : First dive off the boat

fishhunter24
07-18-2010, 07:07 PM
Took the boat diving out of brookings. The plan was to hit a certain cove where we had a good chance of pulling an 11+" ab but the swell was bigger than expected so we decided to head south in hopes of finding a more protected area. When we jumped in we only had about 3ft of vis but dove around looking for abs anyway. I dove to the bottom in about 8ft of water and as I was coming around a rock on the other side of some kelp I saw the eye and snout of a ling. I immediatley could tell that it was legal but since the rest of its body was hidden behind the rock I couldn't tell how big it really was. The vis was so bad that when I went to shoot it I had to get far enough away that I couldn't see the fish anymore. I let the shaft fly where the ling should have been and immediatley felt it come off the bottom. I quickly brought it in to make sure the shaft didn't get caught in the rocks and have the fish tear off. Little did I know it was going to be my new PB.

it went 37 inches and 22 lbs.

So then we went back north a little ways hoping to find some abs. We anchored in a cove where we had seen some before and right away we noticed the vis was about 8ft perfect. So we jumped in and on my second dive I saw some abs so I marked it with my gun. Went and got my gauge and ab iron. After making sure it was legal I went to pry it off the rock it was on and the whole rock moved the ab didn't budge. So I had to go back up for air but when I dove back down there was about a 25 in ling seeing what all the noise was. Well since my gun was marking the abs I froze not knowing if I should grab the gun or go after the abs. So after I couldn't make up my mind and I was low on air I had to surface again and made up my mind to get the ab since I might have hurt it in my first attempt. Third dive and got my first ab of the year on board at 10.25 inches.

It was good times and a great first dive off the boat I am know looking forward to many more.

Navanax
07-18-2010, 09:58 PM
Tell me what kind of boat so I can buy one. Nice way to start!

fishhunter24
07-18-2010, 10:14 PM
Its a 22ft homebuilt catamaran sorry but its one of a kind

Kirby
07-18-2010, 10:15 PM
Very nice catch fishhuter. We need more of these PNW threads.

Next year before the California ab and ling season opens, you should make your way down to Eureka and sign up for the Bucksport Sporting Goods freedive spearfishing and abalone contest. That lingcod would be taking 2nd place and win a $400 pair of fins. Best of all the contest is free to enter.

Again, great catch!

North Star
07-19-2010, 01:14 PM
Fishhunter - Impressive!! Great Ling, great Ab, and a great day! Excellent report! Thanks!

Devildiver
07-19-2010, 06:02 PM
Great report man, congrats on the PB. I like my small mid handles for hunting here; it almost eliminates the issue of having to moove out of visibility range to shoot.

overkillphil
07-19-2010, 08:08 PM
Congrats!! What a nice looking Ling!