PDA

View Full Version : brookings, or

ljsargent
08-17-2010, 01:26 AM
just got back from harris beach state park in brookings. numerous rock formations, kelp gardens, calm seas, decent vis and lots of fish. magnificent!

sticknrelease
08-17-2010, 12:00 PM
any pics?

North Star
08-17-2010, 12:56 PM
I see you are from Toledo - that is just east of Newport, right? Do you have any vis info on the ocean at Newport?

fishhunter24
08-18-2010, 07:43 AM
Did you dive the south beach? Were you spearfishing or just diving?

ljsargent
08-19-2010, 09:08 PM
Sorry, didn't take any. I'll try to take pics on future dives.
Lewis

ljsargent
08-19-2010, 09:21 PM
I"ve tried to get in the water once a week for the past 9 months. I fish the fingers inside the jetty, southside of the south jetty and Yaquina Head and the vis is usually 3 - 6 ft at best. I think I've probably had 10 - 12 ft maybe twice. I don't know if my timing is just bad or that's just the way it is here. Anyway, you deal with it.
Lewis

ljsargent
08-19-2010, 09:21 PM
The northside of bird island, swam out from the beach. Freedive spearfishing.
Lewis

fishhunter24
08-20-2010, 07:57 AM
I haven't dove the north side of bird island but on the south side there is a pretty nice reef in about 20-25 feet. Also the south cove where you walk down from the upper parking lot can be pretty fishy just past the rock at the end of the peninsula. I have also found abalone in that area as well.

ljsargent
08-20-2010, 12:06 PM
I haven't dove the north side of bird island but on the south side there is a pretty nice reef in about 20-25 feet. Also the south cove where you walk down from the upper parking lot can be pretty fishy just past the rock at the end of the peninsula. I have also found abalone in that area as well.

Nice. I picked up an ab card on the way just in case but couldn't find an 8" gauge once I got there. Didn't see any abs though. I used to live in Brookings, moved about 8 yrs ago. Came back to do some camping at Loeb. It was nice to be able to get in the water while I was there.

fishhunter24
08-20-2010, 12:57 PM
Tell me about it I had to order my ab gauge from freedivshop.com because there just isn't that much freedive/spearfishing type shops in the area. If you come back down this way Lone Ranch has some good diving if you head north around the point I have seen a lot of Abs here as well.

ljsargent
08-21-2010, 07:42 PM
Tell me about it I had to order my ab gauge from freedivshop.com because there just isn't that much freedive/spearfishing type shops in the area. If you come back down this way Lone Ranch has some good diving if you head north around the point I have seen a lot of Abs here as well.
Sweet, thanks for the info.

winklecl
08-26-2010, 08:25 PM
Nice. I picked up an ab card on the way just in case but couldn't find an 8" gauge once I got there. Didn't see any abs though. I used to live in Brookings, moved about 8 yrs ago. Came back to do some camping at Loeb. It was nice to be able to get in the water while I was there.

In a pinch you can use some heavy gauge galvanized wire, like the stuff used to make tomato cages (I use this as an example because it's what I had around :p). All you need is a pair of pliers (or visegrips if you got a pair handy) and a tape measure. Takes about 5 min to make one. And make several to carry with you in case one bends while in the rocks. Hey, it's a fixed caliper gauge just like the pros make (well, not as pretty anyway)!