PDA

View Full Version : Lake Crescent Washington

petej
10-21-2010, 10:10 AM
I drove out to Lake Crescent yesterday, it's about 15 or 20 miles west of Port Angeles for anyone who doesn't know. If you live within a days drive I would HIGHLY recomend going out there at least once. It was a nice sunny day and we found a nice secluded spot to pull over and get in. The water looked amazingly clear (It is sort of famous for clear blue water) and when I got in I couldn't believe it. I have never seen water so clear, I guess being from the NW that's not saying much, but still the visibility was probably twice as good as anything I have seen in the saltwater here. I honestly couldn't even accurately make an estimation of how many feet, it just seemed like I could see as far as I wanted to. It was so beautiful it totally blew my mind.

There is not much to look at however, I didn't see any fish or cool plants or anything really except some cool rocky structure. But the visibility makes up for it. For anyone who is reasonably close by and hasn't experienced great vis before, it is something you should try, it was so amazing I just couldn't believe it the second I jumped in with my mask on. I didn't bring my UW camera so I didn't take any pictures unfortunately, but I will be back and next time I'll take some. Anyway it was a ton of fun and there is access all along the road. It is also a little warmer than puget sound and the coast, at least for now..

bowboy
10-21-2010, 12:23 PM
I accompanied my daughters junior high class on a trip from Santa Barbara to Lake Crescent in September. We stayed at Nature's Bridge camp right on the lake. What a beautiful spot! All the kids, on the last day there, jumped in the lake and us adults had to join them to not be outdone. The water was cold, but spectacular. I was thinking how cool it would be dive there someday to experience the 50ft plus of visability that we had from the surface. We checked it from a canoe with a special instrument and it was greater than 50ft. We did alot of hiking around the lake and even ventured to the nearby rain forrest. I can't wait to go back. Thanks for the dive report.

Navanax
10-21-2010, 11:24 PM
Now that is a great reminder. I keep forgetting to check it out. Thanks. And wasn't there some old car from the 30's that a couple drove into the lake that they found at like 80' a couple years back?

North Star
10-22-2010, 03:17 PM
Great vis ALWAYS makes a great day, even if nothing else is happening!

petej
10-23-2010, 04:06 PM
Yeah there are aparently two car wrecks in the lake, although I'm not sure where. I read about them on some dive site, I'm sure if you google it you could find them.

Fishstiq
10-28-2010, 05:59 PM
Now that is a great reminder. I keep forgetting to check it out. Thanks. And wasn't there some old car from the 30's that a couple drove into the lake that they found at like 80' a couple years back?

The car you are referring to is called the Warren car. A young couple were in the car driving late at night and went off the road. They were missing for around 50 years I think, no one knew what happened to them. Dan Warter, a friend of mine, made a great film about it, detailing the history and how the car was found (Dcsfilms.com) It rests on it's side in 170~ feet of water, and requires special permits to dive as it is a protected artifact and a gravesite.

Petej, you are correct, there is also a 2nd car in the lake called the Steele car, but I don't know where. I know it is deeper than the Warren car.

I dove the lake with Samson (Cory) on our way back to Seattle from neah bay, and I have some video I can find if anyone is interested in seeing it who hasn't dove there before. It really is breathtaking to experience the clarity and relative warmth of the lake.

stubbie1111
10-28-2010, 11:04 PM
Fishstiq,
I would be interested in that if you can find it! I live in Silverdale, and thought of diving the lake as well.
Stubbie1111

bbick
10-29-2010, 11:35 AM
How does the water temperature differ compared to the ocean? thanks.

Fishstiq
10-29-2010, 12:52 PM
Fishstiq,
I would be interested in that if you can find it! I live in Silverdale, and thought of diving the lake as well.
Stubbie1111

Here is the video, be sure to turn off the sound as YouTube managed to add a bad echo to the music.

YouTube - Lake Crescent

Bbick, the surface water temps are much warmer, especially the top 40ish feet in the summer months. I don't remember the exact temps, but it's easily wetsuit doable.

North Star
10-29-2010, 03:42 PM
Fishstiq - Thanks for the link to Dcsfilms.com. Facinating story. Glad that the one group of people did escape their car and recover their belongings decades later. Sad for the other couple. Be careful driving around lakes on curvey roads.

stubbie1111
10-29-2010, 09:32 PM
Pretty cool vid....never used the scooters! Looks like a blast. So what would you call that vis.?

North Star
10-29-2010, 11:06 PM
Pretty cool vid....never used the scooters! Looks like a blast. So what would you call that vis.?

Fabulous. I would guess 80 feet or more.

Fishstiq
10-30-2010, 08:48 PM
Fabulous. I would guess 80 feet or more.

Oh yeah, it's incredible every time! I usually dive it once or twice a year on the return trip from neah bay spearfishing trips. It's cool to dive Puget Sound all year, get used to the craptastic vis, then go hop in that lake! It makes a great gear rinse too.

.....and yes, the scooters are a blast! Anyone wanting to try one sometime, just pm me and we'll work something out. Be warned though, they aren't cheap, but they are VERY addicting!

Samson
11-02-2010, 08:49 AM
Here is the video, be sure to turn off the sound as YouTube managed to add a bad echo to the music.

YouTube - Lake Crescent (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nqeHOwvs1e8&feature=youtube_gdata_player)

Bbick, the surface water temps are much warmer, especially the top 40ish feet in the summer months. I don't remember the exact temps, but it's easily wetsuit doable.

Joseph my friend... bout time you found this forum. You can talk about most anything here.. even spearfishing and the MODS dont piss on you or anything!!!:toast:

Lake crescent rocks. Its very much like diving in the tropics as far as the vis goes. The day we were there on the scooters...Im Jaksonbrown in the vid btw,... it had to be 80-100 feet easy. Watching Joe and Matt roll boulders off the underwater cliff and listen to them rumble down the cliff is something awesome to watch and hear.... really cool