PDA

View Full Version : Killer crabs!

Navanax
12-04-2010, 09:49 PM
Seems awful quiet on the board when the crab diving is off the hook in Puget Sound.

I know they ain't lobsters but I was able rustle up 5 of these bad boys in less than an hour in less than 25' of water today (bottom vis and 48 degree H2O). And they are in great shape and quite aggressive. You'll see from the picture that you can't turn your back on them for a moment. I was washing my gear and a 6.5" crab grabbed my dive knife and went after the 7" one. Holy cow what a crab.

Seriously, if you have a wet suit and can hold your breath you should be swimming the outsides of the eel grass beds in areas 9 and 10 right about now. I have not seen another diver in weeks.

Ken

petej
12-04-2010, 09:55 PM
Those are some good lookin crabs.

I've been crabbing a lot, just not posting reports. But I thought the same thing, NOBODY, is out there, no divers and I haven't seen any pots either. I got a spot in area 10 that I can grab a limit in 30 minutes, but I usually just take a couple. I'm getting some good sized ones too, lots in the 7" range. crabbing is a lot of fun, and the viz has been good lately.

Navanax
12-04-2010, 10:21 PM
I'm glad someone else is out there. Not sure what else we'll post about until halibut season.

steepNdeep
12-05-2010, 01:11 AM
Nice avi! lol Thanks... Crab drippin' in lemon garlic butter... mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm!!

petej
12-06-2010, 04:50 PM
got these guys this morning

Navanax
12-06-2010, 11:59 PM
Either huge crabs or tiny bathtub. Very deep?

petej
12-07-2010, 11:52 AM
haha I wish that was my bathtub, but it's just my sink... they were pretty average sized crabs. I got them very shallow though, 10-15'

North Star
12-07-2010, 06:06 PM
We now have scientific proof that crabs are advanced tool users! He looks like a sophisticated Mafia hit man to me - knives are quieter than guns!

Good report and photo, Ken!

no excuses
12-09-2010, 09:49 PM
nice crab, be carefull or they might use that knife on you :lol:

rwc
01-09-2011, 05:21 PM
A buddy and I went off the N. end of BI on the last day of the season and got enough for dinner pretty quickly.

Navanax
01-09-2011, 09:48 PM
Yep. It stayed strong all the way through 1/2. I got plenty N of Edmonds last day.

North Star
01-10-2011, 05:35 PM
Glad you got some more crabs, Ken. Don't forget, you are what you eat. Don't start getting all crabby on us!:D

Navanax
01-12-2011, 09:47 PM
Only crabby attributes I have attained is to basically hide in the sand and then scuttle sideways furiously when disturbed. I prefer back stabbing over the direct frontal assault of a crab.

Getting mentally ready for halibut mode. Lay ON the sand and shoot off in random directions when disturbed

I'm betting Petej has the longest winter crab record card this year

North Star
01-13-2011, 03:14 AM
I read in another thread where Petej has moved to Santa Barbara to go to school. We are anticipating great things out of you Pete, and expect you will be shipping us all White Sea Bass meat on a regular basis. Show those boys in the south how us Pacific Northwest Boys do it! You got to uphold our reputation down there!:D

kitespearo
01-13-2011, 03:02 PM
That is hilarious looks like the crab is about to shank someone

petej
01-13-2011, 07:34 PM
I read in another thread where Petej has moved to Santa Barbara to go to school. We are anticipating great things out of you Pete, and expect you will be shipping us all White Sea Bass meat on a regular basis. Show those boys in the south how us Pacific Northwest Boys do it! You got to uphold our reputation down there!:D

Ha thanks guys, I'm working on it. I've been down here 6 days and been diving twice, probably going out again tomorow and the next day also :). Not exactly slaying them quite yet though...Haven't found a single lobster or any fish that I wanted to shoot, but I think it's pretty slow down here in the winter. I did find an ocotpus, but just played with it for a while and let it go. I'm hoping to dive with some people who can show me a thing or two about the area, but so far I am really liking it. The vis is like washington, it can be good and it can be bad, so far it's been about 10' which is fine by me. and the water is so much warmer, i'ts amazing to actually be warm enough while diving, and not be held back by the cold. And believe me if I shoot a seabass you will definitely be hearing about it!

North Star
01-14-2011, 03:41 AM
Good report, Pete, keep 'em coming. Glad you are getting out. The Oregon coast is a mess this time of year and keeps me landlocked.

thekind253
03-11-2011, 11:57 AM
Is crab grabbing season over?

Navanax
03-12-2011, 12:27 AM
Yep. I'm thinkin' a copy of the regs will get you started. New license season starts 4/1.

try this spot:
http://wdfw.wa.gov/fishing/regulations/

dive safe