PDA

View Full Version : New guy here

Northwest Diver
12-15-2010, 04:37 PM
Thought I would introduce myself, I have been lurking here for years and decided I should probably say hello. I'm 34, live in Western Washington and have been spearing for the past 5 or 6 years here. I do all my hunting and most photography freediving, but do enjoy blowing some bubbles now and again. Lately I have been really enjoying learning to polespear. I love seeing others posts about the NW and the great diving we have here. Seems like a great group of divers on this forum! I look forward to meeting some of you and hitting the water. Heres a few pics from the past few years of diving with my bros.

ApneaAddict
12-15-2010, 04:51 PM
Now that's how you do a first post! Love the underwater and above water pics. Did you shoot the starry flounder? I've never encountered one while diving, but I hear that they're tasty. Also, what'd that ling in the 3rd photo weigh? Looks beefy.

Welcome to the board.

Northwest Diver
12-15-2010, 05:37 PM
Thanks Apnea! I do occasionally take those starry flounder. They are great eating and some get decent size. As far as the ling goes, we didn't weigh it but I would guess maybe twenty five pounds or so. Maybe somebody with a better eye for size could "weigh" in on that. We typically shoot the smaller ones (10-15 lbs) as they tend to be male and better eating, but that was my brother's first ling and I knew he wouldn't pass it up. It wrapped him up good in his shooting line and gave him a pretty good tussle on the surface after he hit it. Great fun!

North Star
12-15-2010, 06:14 PM
Hello, and thanks for coming in out of the cold! Glad to have you on board. This forum is like family in the PNW, no BS is posted, and everybody is really friendly.

We need reports from guys like you, especially in the winter time when it gets pretty slow around here. Thanks for the photos. I am a switch hitter too on freediving and scuba, as a lot of the guys here. Hope to meet you sometime!

petej
12-15-2010, 08:44 PM
Welcome, those are some nice fish and photos! whereabouts in washington do you live and dive? I live on bainbridge Island and dive around there as well as the neah bay area.

Northwest Diver
12-17-2010, 05:15 PM
Thanks for the welcome guys! I live in Kitsap and dive a lot in the Sound but do almost all my spearing out in the Strait or Neah Bay. I am on Bainbridge a lot for work and have done a fair amount of diving there. I am usually up for a weekend hunt out to the coast once bird season ends in January. I typically throw a surfboard on the truck so if the viz and or swells are not good, I have a backup plan either way. If anybody else here likes to spear in the winter, hit me up. I'll be heading back out once the pup and I get done chasing birds.

steepNdeep
12-17-2010, 09:43 PM
Great fish & pics!! The chocolate ling is cool. Do you see many flounder at NB? I've never spent much time on the sand.

Northwest Diver
12-21-2010, 01:37 PM
I see a few in sandy areas. I don't usually go looking for them just kind of take them when I find them. I usually hunt reef for lings and rockfish and sometimes find them adjacent to big isolated reefs. They definitely like sand.