PDA

View Full Version : Trip Report Cubero Hunting

Dykoke1
01-29-2011, 07:45 AM
Friday set out at 10 am. to kill a large cubero with Headhunter 561 and two other fellow divers. Brisk north breeze a sloppy sea greeted us on our adventure. By 1 pm the seas subsided. We were greeted with a pod of playful dolphins. Rob was hinder greatly as he is forced ride the scooter. The water was only 15ft viz. and the cuberos could here him approaching. He slipped up on one very large fish 75#+ but with only a second to spare, the fish exploded in a puff of slit before he could get a bead on a head shot.

Anthony was a little luckier. He shot one through the face. The fish ran out all his line on the reel and wrecked up. The line parted. We returned back to the wreck in three hours and after a extensive penetration into the structure we found the wounded fish. Anthony shot him through the face again. The fish parted the gear with the greatest of ease and silted the wreck. We returned for a third dive later and Anthony shot the fish through face again. The snapper was still in the game and fought all the was to the surface. When I put my hands on the fish I was amazed at the creatures brut strength. The Cubero was a impressive combatant as it did its best to bite the crap out of me.

It was nice of Anthony to kill suck a big fish with IPPY'S personal Koah finally putting that gun to good use.

Video link

Dykoke Anthonet's Cubero

YouTube - Dykoke Anthonet's Cubero

SpearMax
01-29-2011, 08:26 AM
Friday set out at 10 am. to kill a large cubero with Headhunter 561 and two other fellow divers. Brisk north breeze a sloppy sea greeted us on our adventure. By 1 pm the seas subsided. We were greeted with a pod of playful dolphins. Rob was hinder greatly as he is forced ride the scooter. The water was only 15ft viz. and the cuberos could here him approaching. He slipped up on one very large fish 75#+ but with only a second to spare, the fish exploded in a puff of slit before he could get a bead on a head shot.

Anthony was a little luckier. He shot one through the face. The fish ran out all his line on the reel and wrecked up. The line parted. We returned back to the wreck in three hours and after a extensive penetration into the structure we found the wounded fish. Anthony shot him through the face again. The fish parted the gear with the greatest of ease and silted the wreck. We returned for a third dive later and Anthony shot the fish through face again. The snapper was still in the game and fought all the was to the surface. When I put my hands on the fish I was amazed at the creatures brut strength. The Cubero was a impressive combatant as it did its best to bite the crap out of me.

It was nice of Anthony to kill suck a big fish with IPPY'S personal Koah finally putting that gun to good use.

Video link

Dykoke Anthonet's Cubero

YouTube - Dykoke Anthonet's Cubero (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BicfW0J7Qq8)

Nice Fish Anthony! :toast:

http://www.spearboard.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=144072&stc=1&d=1296311175

IslandFever
01-29-2011, 08:41 AM
Awesome fish!!!

Congrats on the personal best Anthony :toast:

Bulit7
01-29-2011, 08:42 AM
Three dives! Thats hardcore!!

Itchy Trigger
01-29-2011, 09:24 AM
i'm not sure how you "kill suck" or who Anthonet is but that is one nice fishy! LOL

greekdiver
01-29-2011, 11:29 AM
that fish got killed sucked good :)

Nice cubera! Congrats

reef roamer
01-29-2011, 11:58 AM
3 bent shafts, cha ching, cha ching. way to set the bar ant.:toast:

headhunter561
01-29-2011, 03:24 PM
What an awesome day on the water! There were some giants on those dives. Congrats Anthony on having the balls to penetrate the wreck in chocolate milk vis and doing what it takes to get a beast like that in the boat. That takes some serious skill!

primalpete
01-29-2011, 04:11 PM
nice slob

Dykoke1
01-29-2011, 05:56 PM
i'm not sure how you "kill suck" or who Anthonet is but that is one nice fishy! LOL

To kill suck: to kill 9000 psi of air in the quest of disposing of a great fish. ;
to plunder the ibis while gulping nitorox in vast quantities.

Dykoke1
01-29-2011, 06:10 PM
It cost the same to suck 110 cft as it does to suck down 80. One must only be able to walk it into the water and through them self over board. That is a younger man sport, as I can not lift the loads of all that compression and steel.

I have only swam the the man a few times but he is a serious hunter with the eyes of a tiger. Anton is able to read the structure and place himself perfectly with in the structure to pull off a quick shot. All three shot were reflex with no time to think about what would happen. I was glad not to be on the receiving end of John's Koah, as one could not see for sh** in the water.

There were lots of large Eagle Rays to dodge in the 15 ft viz with their barbed tails. I saw a dozen or so while we we playing around.

Itchy Trigger
01-29-2011, 07:13 PM
To kill suck: to kill 9000 psi of air in the quest of disposing of a great fish. ;
to plunder the ibis while gulping nitorox in vast quantities.

NOW I understand! :thumps: :toast:

Captrandy
01-29-2011, 08:37 PM
Great job on the PB cube. Penetrating 3 times and kill suck sounds kinda weird, but i guess that's how Anthonet do it!! :D

Johnoly
01-29-2011, 08:53 PM
I saw the picture of the teeth on that thing, and it looked like the neck spike collar on a mean bull dog. They were huge!

Congrats Anthony, that is a beast!!

phattestdude
01-29-2011, 09:37 PM
Nice fish. Sounds like fun.

seadogger
01-29-2011, 09:43 PM
Nice fish Glyph !!!!!:toast:

GrouperTrooper
01-30-2011, 07:40 PM
i hope u saved the head or jaws to dry it out and make a skeleton mount

MajorDave
01-31-2011, 04:19 AM
Great fish... Congrats

shcubasteve
01-31-2011, 07:45 AM
thats a big fish! COngrats on the battle.... In the video, was that the gulf pride at 1:10??

ameliahunter
01-31-2011, 09:07 AM
Great fish and story:thumps:

NSB DIVER
01-31-2011, 07:18 PM
Awesome fish Anthony!! You giving lessons yet?:toast:

Hat-Nasty
02-07-2011, 11:36 AM
Nice fish Ant. Mike knows where to find those big CuberOs.