PDA

View Full Version : No bugs on my reef

HungryMan
01-31-2011, 01:28 PM
I have made a few dives on a reef near my house and have yet to come across any nice bugs, it doesn't look like there's any decent ledges to hold bugs.. Can I kayak out some large pipes or drop a file cabinet or some Kind of structure somewhere out there to hold bugs??

Itchy Trigger
01-31-2011, 01:48 PM
Not legally I dont think.

FredT
01-31-2011, 01:52 PM
Dropping new structure now is right seriously frowned upon. I don't know the current rules for re-arranging any structure you find there into a more bug friendly place though. It's amazing how well a couple dozen concrete blocks can be used by bugs if properly arranged... Check the wildlife laws concerning habitat improvement for your county by READING them, not necessarily by just asking the handy warden.

Back in the dark ages there were hundreds of lobbie condos between Government Cut and WPB, generally placed out of visibility from the reef lines. Some have been "cleaned up", others destroyed by storms with the debris still in place but scattered..

Kayaking out is legal, but it depends on the lifeguard status of the beach you want to launch from if actually LAUNCHING the beast is legal from that point. Be aware that 1/4 mile down the beach from the lifeguard stand it may be legal if a lifeguard tells you not to launch it where he is set up. If you are diving off a life guarded beach either get out before they show up in the morning, or ask. Dawn patrols are quite productive anyway.

ALataZak
01-31-2011, 03:08 PM
Pretty sure it's illegal... That's just word of mouth though. I could be wrong

Johnoly
01-31-2011, 04:14 PM
....Can I kayak out some large pipes or drop a file cabinet.....

Can we get a picture of the file cabinet on top of the kayak?? Extra points if it's a 4 drawer & the top drawer is stuck in the open position !! :thumps:

J&JC
01-31-2011, 04:33 PM
definetly not legal
unfortunate though

seadogger
01-31-2011, 04:40 PM
Can we get a picture of the file cabinet on top of the kayak?? Extra points if it's a 4 drawer & the top drawer is stuck in the open position !! :thumps: X2 :lol::D:lol:

Moondogie
01-31-2011, 05:10 PM
Illegal and immoral. The ocean is not your trashcan.

shcubasteve
01-31-2011, 07:16 PM
Can we get a picture of the file cabinet on top of the kayak?? Extra points if it's a 4 drawer & the top drawer is stuck in the open position !! :thumps:

LMAO!:toast:

Hungryman, where on the east cost of Florida do you live? Maybe someone'll point you in the right direction to better reef.

HungryMan
02-01-2011, 07:20 AM
Ha ya. I'm from pbc, in the Boca raton area

FredT
02-01-2011, 08:51 AM
Not much productive bottom near shore Boca. The one good reef I know of got buried inthe beach replenishment in the late '70s. The Deerfield ledge is good, if you are the first one to hit it. Not much for the bugs to hide in so the legals go fast there. Highland Beach had a decent beach rock ledge, but you have to reach it from offshore due to the parking, stopping and beach access rules in that town. A 'yak from Red Reef park north would work. I haven't been on it in 30 years so beach replenishment may have killed that one too.

The Boca outfall armor can be good too if it's scoured a bit. Pretty much straight off 20th street starting in about 30' of water.

hammerhead786
02-01-2011, 02:02 PM
Try second reef right in front of the inlet about 1/2 hour before high tide. That should hold well. If not move outside to third reef due east of the inlet and drift the reef out there with your kayak. Both are easy, enjoyable paddles. I usually limit out on 3rd in one tank in that area. Second reef in that area is hit and miss. I've seen it loaded and I've seen in empty, more often the latter of the two. It gets dive boat pressure and it's not a large reef.

HungryMan
02-01-2011, 07:01 PM
How far off the beach do you think the 3rd reef is at the inlet and aprox how deep do you think it is? I mostly freedive but just got a 70' hookah rig for the kayak..

FredT
02-01-2011, 07:24 PM
The third reef is a bit less than a mile off shore. 65' to sand, ~50' to the top of the inside slope or ledge. That reef extends both north and south from the inlet with very few breaks. If you can launch from Highland Beach the distance and depths are the same, but the bugs and fish are less picked over. Most of the "small" boaters won't run that far from an inlet.

Get a copy of "Diving Locations" from Force E or other dive shop and look for Finks Grouper Hole. Be aware of the taxman up there though... It used to be a feeding site. There is also a LIDAR chart available from Fill Express that will give you many good sites on the "shallower" reefs well away from inlets.

pirate_diver
02-01-2011, 09:20 PM
Illegal and immoral. The ocean is not your trashcan.

Well said! Very illegal and carries quite a hefty fine! Remember that group of commercial lobstermen that got busted a year or so back in the Keys? They were using casitas (official term FWC uses to describe man made objects put into the water to attract lobster). They got jail time, fines, and boats seized...granted they were doing it commercially, taking shorts, ringing lobster at sea etc., but still.

HungryMan
02-02-2011, 11:31 AM
cool, thanks a bunch for the heads up guys:thumps: