PDA

View Full Version : Manatee Death ! :(

amandanewell
02-16-2011, 09:40 AM
http://www.sun-sentinel.com/news/palm-beach/fl-manatee-death-20110215,0,5077387.story

so sad !!! :(:(:(:(:(

overhead
02-16-2011, 02:25 PM
dinner

Skip_168
02-16-2011, 02:46 PM
I hear they taste like chicken... who eats these things anyway?

Bulit7
02-16-2011, 04:58 PM
Wow!!! No luv for the sea cows... :(

Spear CR
02-16-2011, 11:37 PM
Wow!!! No luv for the sea cows... :(

There is room for all of God's creatures......

On the plate. :thumps:

Bulit7
02-17-2011, 06:31 AM
I'll stick with ribeye!

SpearMax
02-17-2011, 07:31 AM
http://www.sun-sentinel.com/news/palm-beach/fl-manatee-death-20110215,0,5077387.story

so sad !!! :(:(:(:(:(

It is sad! :(

They released the one manatee that survived near my residence in North Palm Beach. In the Erman River I live on, I see many of these fascinating creatures constantly coming up for air. The one in the video is drowning.

Lunchmeat
02-17-2011, 08:22 AM
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3052/2764028595_ebfc83e8ec.jpg?v=0

seadogger
02-17-2011, 11:03 AM
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3052/2764028595_ebfc83e8ec.jpg?v=0

You need help Bro !!! hahahahahahaha

chawk25
02-17-2011, 11:49 AM
I hear they taste like chicken... who eats these things anyway?

Diifferent islanders eat them. I know some old cubans that have harpooned them and then ate them. They said that the manatees were delicious. Some of the meat looks and taste like beef and some leaner and lighter colored like pork.

HungryMan
02-17-2011, 04:39 PM
Diifferent islanders eat them. I know some old cubans that have harpooned them and then ate them. They said that the manatees were delicious. Some of the meat looks and taste like beef and some leaner and lighter colored like pork.

What did they say rats taste like??

mjphawk
02-17-2011, 04:56 PM
Hope you all have the idle settings tuned on your boats because if there are many more articles this this they will turn the waterways into what they are in Central Florida. No sense in having more than a kicker on your yatch if you plan on cruising the ICW.

Animals suffering is sad no doubt. I don't hate the animals because they are just doing what they know how to do (although an animal that can swim up to 15mph yet can't cross the road certainly isn't getting any invitations to a mensa conference). I do have an issue with enviro's who take "protection" to the extreme. Amazing how there always seems to be a "manatee zone" in front of all of the major restaurants and mansions in Central Florida. Good news if you have a house on the water and want your own personal no wake zone though; "yes counselman, I saw a manatee in front of my house almost get hit by a boat...."

Interesting stat sheet
http://research.myfwc.com/engine/download_redirection_process.asp?file=2010_Cumulat ive_Category_Summary03Jan_2011.pdf&objid=14855&dltype=article

Motor Vessles = 11% - 20% of manatee mortality in 2010
Note: Max calculated by attributing all "unrecovered" deaths to motor vessels).
Note 2: Substantially all unrecovered deaths in uninhabited areas of Everglades SW Florida

Slingingsteel
02-17-2011, 05:09 PM
That is sad. They should've tried to help it :mad:

seadogger
02-17-2011, 08:48 PM
Manatee's are a federally protected species but it's my understanding they are not native to florida. Any info on this ??

rtdean
02-18-2011, 05:37 AM
Hope you all have the idle settings tuned on your boats because if there are many more articles this this they will turn the waterways into what they are in Central Florida. No sense in having more than a kicker on your yatch if you plan on cruising the ICW.

Animals suffering is sad no doubt. I don't hate the animals because they are just doing what they know how to do (although an animal that can swim up to 15mph yet can't cross the road certainly isn't getting any invitations to a mensa conference). I do have an issue with enviro's who take "protection" to the extreme. Amazing how there always seems to be a "manatee zone" in front of all of the major restaurants and mansions in Central Florida. Good news if you have a house on the water and want your own personal no wake zone though; "yes counselman, I saw a manatee in front of my house almost get hit by a boat...."

Interesting stat sheet
http://research.myfwc.com/engine/download_redirection_process.asp?file=2010_Cumulat ive_Category_Summary03Jan_2011.pdf&objid=14855&dltype=article

Motor Vessles = 11% - 20% of manatee mortality in 2010
Note: Max calculated by attributing all "unrecovered" deaths to motor vessels).
Note 2: Substantially all unrecovered deaths in uninhabited areas of Everglades SW Florida

Very well said!

Dang! Here comes more freakin' manatee zones!

In case anybody really cares. . .one thing I've noticed is that manatees seem to always panic and head toward deep water. . .even if it is into the path of an oncoming boat. Definitely not Mensa material! :D

Rick

topshot
02-19-2011, 06:03 AM
Where do I get a set of those manatee proof props the marine patrol, sheriff, coast guard, customs, FWC, and other first responders are using at high speed in the manatee zones all the time?

fishkillerjim
02-19-2011, 11:42 AM
Where do I get a set of those manatee proof props the marine patrol, sheriff, coast guard, customs, FWC, and other first responders are using at high speed in the manatee zones all the time?

:lol: good stuff!

chawk25
02-19-2011, 12:00 PM

Great point. We have manatee zones around tampa bay that are no entry for the winter months and the first thing fwc or police will do if they see you in there is gun it full throttle right threw the no entry zones where the manatees are. I know because its happenned to friends as well as to myself. We pushpole or kayak in there and here they come full speed at you to write a no internal combustion ticket. You see the boat jumping manatees and wonder where these guys come from.

chawk25
02-19-2011, 12:02 PM
What did they say rats taste like??

Don't know because I've never asked about rats. Maybe you know?

overhead
02-19-2011, 10:35 PM
large, herbivorous, slow mammal = tastes good