PDA

View Full Version : Tear off help

Moondogie
02-20-2011, 08:31 AM
I was test running a Mako 120 ETR yesterday and it was much easier and nicer to load than my RA, but more difficult to maneuver for a shot underwater. I also had two traumatic tear offs, which I am still struggling to explain. One was a cuda - hit perfect at close range. One tug and it came right off. Next was a HUGE cobia. Again close range and what I thought was a perfect shot. One good pull, no thrashing even, and he came off. I'm still trying to figure out what the hell happened. My only guesses right now are being a little off on the aim, and the way the shaft is attached forward from the butt of the spear. Both shots, my shaft went completely through the fish, I'm thinking when it pulled back, the spear didn't come through the fish, thus the flopper never saw any action. Instead the spear sank, created a great lever, and the dynema sliced right through. I know it's petty to blame it on the gun, but my RA never had that problem, and after two fish in a row, I just have bad feelings towards the ETR now.

I'm looking for suggestions on how to avoid tear off. I have the float, reel, bungie, etc. I'm thinking that I need to adjust my aiming point. On my sheep and triggers I always go for a stone shot. However, this doesn't leave much margin for error on a cobia and could result in tear off. Should I aim for for the smack middle of the fish? Where is the best spot to increase my chances of holding on?

Any help is greatly appreciated. I still can't close my eyes without seeing that fish swim away :bang:

PropMan
02-20-2011, 09:07 AM
I was test running a Mako 120 ETR yesterday and it was much easier and nicer to load than my RA, but more difficult to maneuver for a shot underwater. I also had two traumatic tear offs, which I am still struggling to explain. One was a cuda - hit perfect at close range. One tug and it came right off. Next was a HUGE cobia. Again close range and what I thought was a perfect shot. One good pull, no thrashing even, and he came off. I'm still trying to figure out what the hell happened. My only guesses right now are being a little off on the aim, and the way the shaft is attached forward from the butt of the spear. Both shots, my shaft went completely through the fish, I'm thinking when it pulled back, the spear didn't come through the fish, thus the flopper never saw any action. Instead the spear sank, created a great lever, and the dynema sliced right through. I know it's petty to blame it on the gun, but my RA never had that problem, and after two fish in a row, I just have bad feelings towards the ETR now.

I'm looking for suggestions on how to avoid tear off. I have the float, reel, bungie, etc. I'm thinking that I need to adjust my aiming point. On my sheep and triggers I always go for a stone shot. However, this doesn't leave much margin for error on a cobia and could result in tear off. Should I aim for for the smack middle of the fish? Where is the best spot to increase my chances of holding on?

Any help is greatly appreciated. I still can't close my eyes without seeing that fish swim away :bang:

Make sure that your flopper deploys(not too tight) and I like aiming for just under the dorsal fin for holding power and behind the eye for stoning,good luck.

jfjf
02-20-2011, 09:40 AM
If I hadn't looked at the flooper myself, I would say that is it almost surely the flopper was too tight, didn't open and the shaft just pulled out. However the flopper looked fine to me.

Cobia are notorious for ripping off, even when they seemingly have been shot solidly. They can go crazy and have soft skin and very soft bellies. Even a normally good shot right behind the gill plate can sometimes not hold because (I guess) the head is hard and the body is soft, they have incredible leverage and they can very quickly open up a hole in their bodies at that location. Especially if the shot is just slightly below the spine area. I've landed several cobia that very quickly tore a huge hole there and i was lucky that they didn't pull off.

I've seen cobia lost that seemingly have had excellent shots by some very good hunters. Often, unless the shot looks absolutely perfect, we will deliver a second shot into our buddy's fish, especially when freediving.

If you are gentle with the fish after the shot, often you can gently pull the fish up and have a buddy place a second shot vertically down through the top of the (very hard) head from close range and this essentially eliminates the potential for a lost fish.

I think some people recommend targeting a very solid body shot on cobia rather than an initial head or behind the gill shot. A very solid shot near the spine about 1/3 back from the head seems like a better percentage shot in my experience. Cobia must have a pea brain, because they are very hard to stone or kill.

They typically will act stoned or very docile after the initial shot for several seconds. When they begin to feel the tension from the shaft line, they go crazy, That is why it is so desirable to handle them as gently as possible, work them up slowly and then get a second shot into the head BEFORE they go crazy.

EDIT: I re-read your post and noticed that you said the shaft went completely through the cobia. With the ETR, the shaft is connected on a shark fin tab on the top of the shaft maybe 8-10 inches from the rear of the shaft. If the shaft went completely through the fish, then (because of the way the shaft is attached) the shaft itself should have acted like a giant flopper.

Thus the lost fish would have nothing to do with the flopper itself if the fish was shot in this manner. It sounds like the shot might have been below the spine and with the soft belly of a cobia, the shooting line can cut through the body when they thrash like crazy.

None of that helps with the disappointment of losing a very nice cobia..

scubajobert
02-20-2011, 09:41 AM
like prop man said sounds like the flopper stuck lost a couple of fish do to that if you shake the shaft really hard the flopper should stick in the out position so when your fighting a fish it stays open .i think they call it tuning your flopper.check for scales in the flopper some times that will do it .

Bulit7
02-20-2011, 08:33 PM
It happens! It was a fish that was gonna die anyway...:D

Them suckers fight hard and a gill or abdomen shot , even a above spinal shot will pull out.

Only garantee is a head shot behind the eye... Just sayin.

Let em tire out and grab em???

FL Spear Fish
02-20-2011, 08:52 PM

Wow this happened to me today with my brand new mako oceanic pro i had a 25+ pound cudda rip rite off :confused:

seadogger
02-20-2011, 09:05 PM
.223 PH....done deal !!

pernicia
02-21-2011, 04:12 AM
obviously the flopper didn't open....if the shaft went thru the fish as you described, the most reasonable explanation is that the flopper did not deploy.
maybe is too tight, or is tooo streamlined with the shaft...what I do with some floppers is bend the tip of the flopper a bit upward so it helps it open once the fish slides on the shaft.

jfjf
02-21-2011, 08:50 AM
obviously the flopper didn't open....if the shaft went thru the fish as you described, the most reasonable explanation is that the flopper did not deploy.
maybe is too tight, or is tooo streamlined with the shaft...what I do with some floppers is bend the tip of the flopper a bit upward so it helps it open once the fish slides on the shaft.

If the shaft is not attached to the end of the shaft (but more in the middle by way of the hole in the shark fin tab), then if the shaft goes completely through the fish and the fish is on the shooting line, then 99 of 100 times, the shaft should toggle and act as a flopper itself. The tip has nothing to do with it.

PropMan
02-21-2011, 10:33 AM
.223 PH....done deal !!

Thats too easy, where is the sport in it.
But ya , powerhead ,game over.

Bill McIntyre
02-21-2011, 10:41 AM
If the shaft went clear through the fish and the dyneema shooting line cut through the flesh, then type of tip doesn't matter. But otherwise, slip tips sure solve the problem of floppers not opening and shafts acting as levers to tear through the fish. It seems that you guys on the East Coast don't like them, but they are very popular out here.

Also, mono shooting line might not cut out as much as dyneema. It slides better rather than sawing.

greekdiver
02-21-2011, 12:34 PM
bad shot or poor flopper tuning. I have yet to lose a Cobia in Florida. They are just so easy to spear.

You do not need a sliptip or a powerhead and it doesn't matter if you use wire, dyneema, or mono. Your shot will hold if properly placed. Cobia only really fight when you start pulling them close to you.

Moondogie
02-21-2011, 02:25 PM
bad shot or poor flopper tuning. I have yet to lose a Cobia in Florida. They are just so easy to spear.

You do not need a sliptip or a powerhead and it doesn't matter if you use wire, dyneema, or mono. Your shot will hold if properly placed. Cobia only really fight when you start pulling them close to you.

Where do you recommend putting the shot on a cobia?

TheMackDaddy
02-21-2011, 02:33 PM
Cobia must have a pea brain, because they are very hard to stone or kill.

and because they usually swim up to your spear tip and wait for you to shoot them in the face

greekdiver
02-21-2011, 03:06 PM
and because they usually swim up to your spear tip and wait for you to shoot them in the face

yep.

greekdiver
02-21-2011, 03:18 PM
Where do you recommend putting the shot on a cobia?

I shoot mine in the head or close to it. I don't like to ruin meat and it's not a real tough shot. I try to shoot all my fish near the head or behind the head if i'm close.

YouTube - Spearfishing with buddies - Grouper, Cobia, Muttons, Permit

50 sec mark ; 3:16 mark

YouTube - Freediving Spearfishing - 19lb Mutton, Amberjack, Cobia, King Mackerel

24 sec mark ; 8:12 mark