PDA

View Full Version : Trip Report Costa Rica 2/13-2/20

Muay Thai
02-23-2011, 10:19 AM
Back from Costa. Slim pickings on fish but still had a great time! Went with my cousin from MA and a good friend of his. Spent everyday either on a boat or a horse. Not sure if it was La Nina, the full moon or maybe the combo of both but fish in the bluewater were pretty damn scarce! Spent 12 hrs one day driving around, out of sight of land, looking and only saw 2 yellowfins (didn't get a shot). Lot of other cool stuff going on though! Swam with a mother humpback whale and her baby one day (until she decided she was sick of me and chased me back to the boat!). Also, got to dive with mantas and dolphins. Here's some pics from the trip. Rocks and islands are what we hunted inshore. Bugs were a couple unwanted guests that showed up in our room! Shot 4 different species of snappers, a couple decent roosters, some big Spanish mackerel and a couple different kinds of jacks/trevallys.

Scott

jfjf
02-23-2011, 12:33 PM
Nice pics!
That toilet beetle is GIANT!

Did you really take that picture or was it stolen from the sales brochure?

Muay Thai
02-23-2011, 12:50 PM
That roach was for real! Went to use bathroom 1st day in Costa and saw that thing swimming around bottom of bowl. Holy crap, talk about being startled!!!! Turns out my roomates found it in room 2 days prior to my arrival and flushed it. I flushed it again and a day later it was back up. So, decided at that point, the determined - not so little bug - had earned its life back and fished it out of the toilet and let it go outside.

Scott

dparache
02-23-2011, 12:51 PM
what size mako did u use?

kitespearo
02-23-2011, 02:01 PM
what size mako did u use?

To shoot the roach????:gun:

sacha58
02-23-2011, 02:07 PM
Roaches worth of grilling :-))

nyspear
02-23-2011, 02:12 PM
Where in CR did you go?

Muay Thai
02-23-2011, 02:54 PM
Was using a 130, which was way too big for the inshore stuff. 10-15ft vis and a crazy surge/swell made it challenging to say the least! Those crappy conditions cost me a nice snook and big pargo but to the Mako's credit, still managed to stone just about everything else! Was down on the Osa penisula near Corcovado & the Panimanian border. It was sweet - no roads, electricity or phones. Everything comes and goes by boat. Tunas in my avatar are from the same place 2 years ago.

BTW, still have 2 RAs left for sale - 70cm w/ Cressi reel & 120cm with custom mounted OMER Pelagic reel. Also, still have brand new shafts for sale for 120 & 130 cm guns at $25 a piece.

Scott

Soaking wet
02-23-2011, 05:04 PM
Scott, You had a nice time ,That's what counts.
Eddie

Bulit7
02-23-2011, 05:23 PM
Sounds like fun !! Did you go down there solo or with family?

Lurker Mike
02-23-2011, 06:19 PM
Did you check out any surf spots? Povones?

YURY
02-25-2011, 10:42 AM
Nice Scott!

seadogger
02-26-2011, 03:41 PM
That roach was for real! Went to use bathroom 1st day in Costa and saw that thing swimming around bottom of bowl. Holy crap, talk about being startled!!!! Turns out my roomates found it in room 2 days prior to my arrival and flushed it. I flushed it again and a day later it was back up. So, decided at that point, the determined - not so little bug - had earned its life back and fished it out of the toilet and let it go outside.

ScottThat was good toilet karma !!!!