PDA

View Full Version : Introduction

cfreediver
03-01-2011, 08:31 PM
First post to spearboard. I belong to Longfins of Broward County. I also write a column on freediving/spearfishing in a local publication called Miami Sports Magazine. The heading of my column is ONE BREATH. My articles include local clubs,stores, competitions,interviews (Martin Stepanek) in April Issue,Pepin Fereras and local adventures in our sport. My hopes are to promote our sport to local readers and dispel myths about who we are? If you have any good stories or valuable information you think our readers may be interested in email me here or at www.cafreediver@aol.com. PS I spearfish from my kayak in the Hollywood beach area and am having alot of trouble with authorities. John U Lloyd park does not allow kayaks or spearguns. Dania Beach doesn't allow either. Hollywood beach doesn't allow any kayaks or guns until Azalea st, but then there is no parking. It seems absurd when you consider lifeguards drive :atv's,jeeps,trucks, and launch surfboards and surfers are allowed. And also those loud propeller hang gliders. Talk about dangerous! Is it my imagination or are we being singled out? Has anyone had similiar experiences?

SpearMax
03-01-2011, 09:02 PM
First post to spearboard. I belong to Longfins of Broward County. I also write a column on freediving/spearfishing in a local publication called Miami Sports Magazine. The heading of my column is ONE BREATH. My articles include local clubs,stores, competitions,interviews (Martin Stepanek) in April Issue,Pepin Fereras and local adventures in our sport. My hopes are to promote our sport to local readers and dispel myths about who we are? If you have any good stories or valuable information you think our readers may be interested in email me here or at www.cafreediver@aol.com. PS I spearfish from my kayak in the Hollywood beach area and am having alot of trouble with authorities. John U Lloyd park does not allow kayaks or spearguns. Dania Beach doesn't allow either. Hollywood beach doesn't allow any kayaks or guns until Azalea st, but then there is no parking. It seems absurd when you consider lifeguards drive :atv's,jeeps,trucks, and launch surfboards and surfers are allowed. And also those loud propeller hang gliders. Talk about dangerous! Is it my imagination or are we being singled out? Has anyone had similiar experiences?

Welcome! :)

Proulxr07
03-01-2011, 09:53 PM
welcome to the board

Go Diego Go
03-05-2011, 12:44 PM
That's too bad about the launching of the kayaks. My buddy and I use to be the only ones in that area spearfishing from them. We had hollow, real white water kayaks, before the rudders and all that new stuff. We hunted the grounds from just north of Commerial to south of Dania pier. Back then you were allowed 24 bugs per boat. Sometimes in the winter we would hit our limit, shoot a bunch of hogs, snappers and some groupers and have no more room in the kayak to sit. Made for a long swim back, even with an east wind.

cfreediver
03-06-2011, 01:49 PM
Yeah things have changed drastically. It seems there is more and more rules and regulations and less personal freedom. I know some control is good because of the ego maniacs that over indulge and would rape our natural resources. It seems obvious to me that if you harvest in excess eventually the supply will run out. So I encourage all to use discretion.

Bulit7
03-06-2011, 03:18 PM
Welcome.
That is exactly why I sold my Cobra kayak...

Go Diego Go
03-07-2011, 08:54 PM
You actually started this thread to promote our sport?? You refer to a guy, who offered a story that was within the law 30 years ago, as an ego maniac. In 30 years from now it may be one lobster per person. So you hit your limit of 6 today, what will that make you then? Would you still consider yourself "the righteous one"? Or should we wait and ask the opinion of some twerp that's not even in diapers today?

cfreediver
03-07-2011, 09:03 PM
No. I was not refering to him as an ego maniac for being within the limits. I was referring to others I have seen who surpass the limits by catching their limits taking their catch to their friends who are waiting at the docks, they dump their harvest then go back out and catch their limit again. And to those who shoot a fish regardless of the size limit to be able to fill their coolers.

Moondogie
03-08-2011, 08:12 AM
Ethics is doing what's right, when no one is looking, even if doing the wrong thing is legal.

cfreediver
03-08-2011, 10:29 AM
Good point moondogie. If the limit size was extended to 30 per day on say lobster or grouper would we use discretion and common sense and realize this would exploit our resources. Or would the average person try to max out because its legal. What forces our decision? Does an outside entity decide when enough is practical or too much or do we decide?