PDA

View Full Version : Ponce Report 24 Apr 2011

MajorDave
04-24-2011, 05:12 PM
Since the weather man had been somewhat wrong most of the week while I was teaching scuba classes, thought I would try to get my newest student, Summer, out and have her start practicing some spearing before grouper season opened. Clearnhouse and Chiung joined in to fill the boat.

Even with the swells the seas were just fine to make it out to Site 4. Entered the water and could see the top of the wreck, but after the top of the wreck the thermo was milk. 0-60 fsw was about 72-74*. Below the thermo was 63*. Could see a couple of cobia swimming around 30 fsw but never came close enough. Clearnhouse and Chiung didn't have much luck on their dive either, so decided to head to Site 3 for the second dive.

Site 3 was a little better. Dropped in but didn't realize the buoy had spooled off 300 ft of line until too late and had a little swim to get to the wreck. Vis in 80 fsw was about 20 ft, 64* under the thermo. Above the thermo was 40-50 ft vis. Summer got a little target practice and hopes to be ready to give Laura and Jen a run for their crowns at the tourneys this year... :gun:

Shoud have stayed at Site 3 for another dive, but decided to move closer to the inlet for the last dive just in case the weather kicked up. What a mistake. Site 5 had 15 ft vis a few days ago, but the thermo and swells killed it. Like milk, 3 ft vis below the thermo, 68*, so could be the swells making it the usual Site 5 vis.

Thanks guys for coming. Hopefully the vis will clear before next Sunday :thumps:

Lurker Mike
04-24-2011, 07:07 PM
thanks for the report dave. going to be a little more challenging to hunt next week if the conditions don't improve.

NSB DIVER
04-24-2011, 07:49 PM
Glad you guys and gals made it out today !! Thanks for the report !! We canceled
our trip due to the reports and good surf. Wish I was diving.

Chiung
04-24-2011, 08:29 PM
Thanks for the ride - happy to help with gas. Looks like you have a future killer in the making:cool:

Gradyman
04-24-2011, 10:20 PM
Good report Dave...good to hear Chris is still getting wet!

I'll be back in regular action after the first week of May...straight "A"'s in my prerequ's for Sergical Technician program...now I just need to get accepted into the program!!

scubapat
04-25-2011, 07:09 PM
mother nature is gona make us work for our dives this year. guess we will just have to be patient. looks like Frank will be all ready to go soon , hope to see you on the boat again its been way to long.

clearnhouse
04-25-2011, 07:47 PM
try blacked out on all dives... hey this IS ponce... oh well...at least we tried.. whahhh

seadogger
04-26-2011, 02:56 PM
try blacked out on all dives... hey this IS ponce... oh well...at least we tried.. whahhh

Save one for me Chris this Sunday....I have class all day Sat / Sunday :(

Guess I'll hopefully get out sometime next week. Right now I have the flu. :beer: