PDA

View Full Version : Surf & Turf

kitefisherman
03-02-2003, 11:38 PM
Last time I dove, I was snake bit; no lobsters, no fish. This weekend I thought I’d mix it up a little bit and improve my odds.

Saturday morning I did 2 tanks off Boca. First tank I dropped on the 60 foot reef and worked my way out to the backside (95 feeet) and back. No fish, no lobsters. Everyone else had lobsters. Losing streak continues. Second dive I stayed shallower- where everyone else had been. Started picking up a lobster here and two lobsters there. Shutout avoided. While I was bagging lobster 4 or 5 at the top of the west-facing ledge, I look down the ledge and spot a cobia laying on the sand at the base of the ledge. Quickly finish bagging lobster and approach cobia. He starts to swim off but, in a typical cobia-like manner, turns and meanders back towards me. I raise my gun, aim and pop him an inch behind his right eye. At the same time the gun butt comes back and smacks me on the chin. I had just replaced all three of my year old 9/16" band with new 5/8" bands - no more bent arm one handed shooting for me. The spear passed clear through the cobia’s head and out his throat. The cobia ran for the surface and started circling, all the while puffing blood. I dumped my air, maintained my depth and kept the cobia from getting tangled in the flag line that is attached to my BCD. The cobia tires out, and I grab him, stick him in the brain with my knife and bag him. Not a big fish, about 34" fork, but it’s nice to stick something for a change. Finished the dive with 7 bugs plus the cobia. Things are looking up.

Cleaned my catch, put it on ice, jumped in the car and drove 120 miles NW to meet my friend Don at his hunting camp W of Okeechobee. The plan is to hunt hogs and turkeys Saturday afternoon and Sunday morning and then to take in a little quail hunting late morning. I get there in the nick of time, slip my camo over my baggies, grab a rifle and a shotgun (want to be prepared for both hogs and turkeys) and climb into the stand - all within 15 minutes of getting there. The feeder goes off promptly at 4 PM. I am visited by racoons, sandhill cranes, rabbits and many doves but no hogs or turkeys. I have been in the stand 2 and a half hours. I am tired from the long day and am getting sleepy. It is about 15 minutes before sunset when I hear a minor rustling from the right side and out steps a good sized boar. He walks up to the feeder, looks cautiously around and begins eating. I slowly and quietly pick up my rifle, place the scope’s crosshairs half way between the boar’s eye and ear and slowly squeeze the trigger - nothing. This has to be some cruel joke. Check the safety - yes it is off. Slowly lower the borrowed rifle (Remington 7400 .270 semi auto) and look things over. The operating lever is as far forward as it will seem to go - safety is off. I again raise the gun, aim and squeeze the trigger - nothing. Squeeze even harder - nothing. Shit! Once again I go ever the gun and find that I can force the operating lever forward just a little more, but there is no reassuring click or nothing. I again raise the rifle and sight. The boar is now facing away from me with his head down feeding. As I am staring at his ass, I notice something strange - no balls - hmm. My fiend told me not to shoot any sows and I don’t want to piss him off. Finally the hog turns to the right and think that I see his dick. Figuring that nothing was said about not shooting hermaphrodite pigs, I again take aim at the head. I slowly squeeze the trigger, the gun fires (surprise!) and the pig rolls over on his back with his back leg twitching for about 15 seconds, and then it is still. After everyone arrives, we take a closer look and discover that the pig was apparently previously caught and castrated by hunters with dogs as one of the pig’s ears was clipped and the other was mostly chewed off. We drag the pig out of the woods, onto the jeep (it took 3 of us) and put him up on the scale back at camp. He weighs 190 pounds. I spend the next couple hours skinning, gutting and quartering the boar. We eat cobia, drink beer, stay up late and decide to skip the early morning hunt. We hunted quail this morning and I came home tonight with 13 quail breasts.

Not a lucky number, but things seem to be looking up.

kitefisherman
03-02-2003, 11:39 PM
The Cutters

fernandezh
03-03-2003, 12:30 AM
That story is awesome!! I love your decision process concerning the hog's genitals. Good to know that Humans aren't the only animals who let their dicks them into trouble.

Hector

kitefisherman
03-03-2003, 11:17 AM
This morning someone asked me whether hunting over bait was illegal. As a matter of clarification, according to the 2002-2003 Florida Hunting Regulations: “Wild hogs are considered domestic livestock and are the property of the landowner upon whose land they occur. With the landowner’s permission, there is no closed season, bag limit or size limit for wild hogs” “Resident game, other than wild turkeys, may be hunted in proximity to game feeding stations which have been continuously maintained with feed throughout the year, provided each feeding station shall have been established at least six months prior to taking the game. Wild turkeys may not be taken by the aid of baiting or over any baited area. Taking a wild turkey in the vicinity of a game feeding station is prohibited, unless the hunter is at least 100 yards from the feeding station.”

Hunting hogs on private land over bait is completely legal because the hogs are not considered game. The game feeding station that I hunted was 110 yards from where I was set up, hence my use of a .270. I was set up on a trail that leads to the game station. If a turkey comes within range, I can shoot because I am more than 100 yards from the game feeding station (which has been in operation for several years).

Just wanted to clear that up.

kitefisherman
06-08-2003, 08:50 PM
Yesterday, I decided to avoid the whole freedive slayer fiasco and make another amphibious assault. I did a couple of tanks in 40 feet in the morning and saw a lot of lobsters but nothing worth spearing.

Jumped in the car and hightailed it to my friend’s hunting lease NW of Lake Okeechobee to hunt some wild pigs. Got up in the stand with my shotgun (Remington 11-87 Super Magnum, 28" barrel with a full choke) at 5:30 before the rain resumed. About an hour later and just before the feeder went off, an 80 pound sow trotted right by the feeder and within 10 yards of my stand. Although I had an easy shot, I let her go because my friend and I were splitting the meat, and we wanted a pig in the 120-150 pound range. The feeder went off at 6:40 and nothing much happened. About 8:00 I see 3 pigs round a corner about 100 yards away and headed towards the feeder. They charge right in and aggressively start feeding on the corn about 30 yards from my stand. All three were sows. Two of the pigs were about the same size (I estimated 150 pounds) and the third was about 75% that size. Between the two larger sows, one had large bristly shoulders and seemed proportioned more like a boar. Figuring that we could probably get more meat from the more masculine looking sow, I set the bead of my gun between the sow’s eye and ear and fired 3" of ten year old 00 buckshot. At least 9 of the 15 pellets slammed into her skull and throat, and she immediately fell on her side like a sack of corn and never moved a muscle. The other pigs hauled ass.

My friend called on the radio and asked what happened. I told him that I shot a 120 - 150 pound sow and to come around with the jeep. When he saw the pig, he thought that the sow was a lot closer to the 190 pound boar that I shot in March than 150 pounds. When we tried to wrestle the sow into the dog box on the back of the jeep, we couldn’t do it so I suspected that he was right. Since there was just the 2 of us and we had over a half a mile to go to get back to the trailer, I tied a slipknot around the sow’s ribs and behind its front quarters and cinched it down tight. I tied the other end of the rope to the jeep’s trailer hitch and we “surfed” the sow home over the wet cow pasture at times pushing a nice wake. When the got to the trailer, the sow’s hide was none worse for the ride. We put her up on the scale and low and behold she weighed 245 pounds - the largest they have shot on the lease in the year since they got there and a personal best for me. We gutted, skinned, quartered and iced the pig and got finished about 11:00 after dumping a completely full 40 gallon garbage can of guts, hide, hoofs and head. Needless to say, we slept in this morning before going out to refill the feeders and break camp.

kitefisherman
06-08-2003, 08:53 PM
Note the tight shot pattern on the sow's ear.

slipknot
06-08-2003, 09:06 PM
Nice hog,I have that same model Remington.I use it for deer hunting on the dogs.I put see thru scope mounts on it for machine gun action when their goin' 90 to nothin'.You're not gonna kill em' unless your throwin lead at em'! I know, I know, your not supposed to use rifles on dog hunts, blah, blah, blah.
Just trying to save some future rhetoric.:rolleyes:

kitefisherman
06-08-2003, 09:15 PM
Slipknot: I bought mine for my annual goose/duck trip to Saskatchewan. It has been a great gun. It helps to have all 3 and a half inches when blasting steel at those big birds.

kitefisherman
06-08-2003, 09:41 PM
Tried to switch out earlier photo with no success. Better photo:

greyface
06-09-2003, 06:45 AM
Good shootin', you ol' Boca Redneck, you! Great story.:D

keyspearfisher
06-09-2003, 06:54 AM
do pig guts make good chum?

f94gator
06-09-2003, 07:33 AM
Sounds like some good trips, thanks for the report!
What kind of dogs did you hunt over for the quail?

conspearasea
06-09-2003, 12:32 PM
Nice hog we thought about hunting once. How does hog(not the fish) taste? Kinda sounds like fun

P.S. Watch out for the F agot W usie C ocksuckers

mushkee
06-09-2003, 01:13 PM
conspear...
he didnt have to smuggle in the bugs...
this post is dated from march...

is your shop florida freedivers...cause i went a little while ago and the lady there showed me that same pic under you avatar...nice cobia...

Reefrat
06-09-2003, 02:05 PM
Hey Kite what was the huning lease? I use to hunt the Flying G Ranch with my buddy from Key West,but the owner tried to open a shooting range on it and it fell through. So now he's sold the property to put up sub-divisions and I have to go and pick up my camper the weekend after I get back from my keys trip next week.

If I can remember to bring the pics from work I'll post the ones of the hog & turkeys I got on my last hunt there in April last year.

Oh yea good looking rooters! :)

kitefisherman
06-09-2003, 11:12 PM
keyspearfisher: I have no idea whether pig guts make good chum. We usually dump them away from camp, and the buzzards finish everything but the hide and bones by 10 AM.

conspearasea: My shotgun is a semi-auto 12 gauge that shoots 2 3/4", 3" and 3 1/2" shells. The wild hogs that we hunt eat a lot of corn out of our and the neighboring landowners' feeders. The butcher that I take them to for boning and butchering tells me that they are among the cleanest hogs he has seen. Like freerange chickens, these animals are exercised and have more flavor than hogs that spend their life in a pen. They are also comparatively lean. They are not at all gamey. I usually have the butcher cut out the backstrap and the ribs and make sausage out of the rest (half Italian, half country (breakfast) sausage. I think that it tastes like some of the best pork that I've ever eaten, and that's not because I killed it.

reefrat: We hunt on a 700 acre lease about 12 miles West of the town of Okeechobee. My friend, his brother and their father recently joined one of the brother's friends who has had the lease for a number of years. This new blood has done a lot of maintenance and made many improvements. The leased land also hosts a herd of cattle. There are also turkeys, ducks and a few deer on the property. The quail that we hunt are mainly farm raised although there are a few wild birds mixed in. The game feeders are maintained year round. I am a frequent guest when there is an open spot.

f94gator: We hunt the quail with my friend's black lab Bear. Bear is an 8 year old jack of all trades bird dog. He has an exceptional nose and has hunted and retrieved ducks, geese, quail, doves and pheasant. He is a tireless hunter and a good and well trained companion. Bear also likes to troll offshore. He will sit and vigilantly watch the rod tips for a strike and bark from the moment of the strike until the fish is in the boat. He really enjoys being part of the team. It breaks his heart each fall when he sees us leave after loading up the truck for Canada. He gets excited every time he sees a gun. Tonight some kids in the neighborhood were lighting off firecrackers, and I thought Bear was going to lose it - he wanted to hunt so bad. Bear also isn't afraid to get a little dirty when it comes to chasing down a mallard:

f94gator
06-10-2003, 06:36 AM
That's awesome. Our oldest dog will visibly shake all over if he hears a shotgun - he knows there are birds around!

Tuna
06-10-2003, 01:01 PM
That is one heck of a good looking dog! Too bad you can not teach him to spear fish (or does he already?) Does the dog point quail? If so, would the owner be interested in selling him? Does he also hunt hogs? Thanks

Great stories!!

f94gator
06-10-2003, 07:51 PM
Tuna,
A friend of mine has a litter of GSP male pups he's looking to sell. They come from excellent hunting lines, but they're only like 8-10 weeks old, so you would have to train. PM me if you're interested.

kitefisherman
06-11-2003, 05:40 PM
Tuna: Bear doesn't hunt hogs. Bear was never formally trained, and he didn't start hunting quail until he was about 3. When he hunts quail, he points (paw and tail extended) about 10% of the time; the rest of the time he just flushes them. My friend has him whistle trained to stay close so this this doesn't pose much of a problem since he's always working under our noses. When he gets birdy, Bear's tail starts spinning like a helicopter so we have a pretty good warning that he is close. He hardly ever flushes birds before we're ready. I don't know if you really want to buy an 8 year old dog. If my friend's wife ever found out that he was trying to sell Bear, she would insist that you also take her husband as part of the deal as Bear is her constant companion at home. :D

Tuna
06-11-2003, 09:27 PM
Kite

Sounds like an awesome dog. I have never hunted over a lab that would point. Do you have any pictures of him on point? My hunting partner will not believe it. What gauge gun do you recommend for quail. What type of rifle would you suggest I buy to hunt hogs with and what grain bullet do you normally shoot when using a rifle? Is that a drake or hen mallard in the picture with him?

Thanks

Tuna

kitefisherman
06-11-2003, 10:13 PM
Tuna:

Bear learned to point through natural instint - not through anything that my friend taught him. My friend tells me that Bear usually points when he can smell the bird but can't zero in on him. Unlike some labs, Bear doesn't just charge in without having a pretty good idea where the bird is. My friend thinks that when Bear points that he is actually freezing up and listening for the bird to move and give his position away. I don't currently have a picture of Bear on point, but my friend's father does. If I can get ahold of it, I will post it.

My friend and his family usually shoot a 20 gauge O/U, double barrels (SxS) or Browning Gold Hunters (semi-auto) for quail. I can't shoot as well as them so I usually just shoot my 12 gauge Remington 11-86 Super Magnum (semi-auto) with an improved cylider choke (2 3/4" shells) although some people would consider 12 gauge overkill. It's a great multipurpose gun.

For hogs, we either shoot a bow, a .270, or a 12 gauge shotgun (full choke) with 3" or 3 1/2" shells of 00 buckshot. You have a lot of options although it sucks if you wound and lose a pig while tracking the blood trail so I usually use a rifle or a shotgun. Considering the distance between the stand and the feeder, a 30-06, a 30-30 or any number of other high powered rifles would probably do just as well if they were shot accurately. My normal kill spot is half way between the ear and eye. Hope this helps.

The bird in Bear's mouth is a drake Florida mallard (mottled duck). I looks similar to the hen mallards that we shoot in Canada.

Although Bear is 8 years old, he is still in good shape:

f94gator
06-12-2003, 06:37 AM
That dog looks great - and 8 years old, that's nothing. He's got plenty of good hunting years left in him. A friend has a 12 year old GSP that he still has trouble keeping up with!

kitefisherman
06-12-2003, 06:11 PM
Here's a picture of Bear on point. It's not the best one they have - but it's the best digital one that my friend had readily available. Most of the time we are carrying guns and not cameras when we are hunting so a lot of photo ops are lost

Tuna
06-12-2003, 06:44 PM
That is all the proof I need. A picture is worth a thousand words! No wonder your friend will not sell. If he ever needs someone to hunt with, I would love to hunt over that dog.

Mako
06-13-2003, 12:32 PM
Ah we get to post some hog pics.

Heres my first hog! 150lb Sow.

http://www.storefixtures-online.com/x-JimsPictures-x/hunt1.jpg

Tuna
01-13-2004, 07:51 AM
Kike,

Anymore surf and TURF reports.

kitefisherman
01-13-2004, 09:37 AM
Tuna:

First, it's Kite and nor Kike. I am a Catholic - not a Jewish - tax lawyer. :D I know that it was typo - I'm just giving you a hard time. No offense to any of our Jewish friends.

As for the hogs, they were absent from the feeders. Our theory is that there were so many acorns around that they didn't need or want the corn. The hogs, however, have returned along with a few turkeys. My friend and his father hunted them this weekend, but the wind was wrong and the hogs hauled ass upon scenting the hunters and before they were within range.

My friend is dying to get one with his new crossbow. He is going to try either today or tomorrow afternoon. If he goes tomorrow, I may join him - I have too much work to do today. I'll update the thread if we kill something. We are just getting around to focusing on the hogs again; there have been too many other seasonal things (ducks, grouper, cobia, hogfish and sailfish) happening right now. We can hunt the hogs all year long as his camp is on private land.

zds3488
01-13-2004, 10:30 AM
I think I am the only jewish member...am I not?

kitefisherman
01-13-2004, 10:39 AM
Zack - you are the only one that I'm aware of, but I suspect that there are more given the number of members. Don't your people like being under the water or do they still have a bad taste in their mouth from the whole Red Sea thing with the Pharoah? :D

Funny thing is that often people think that I am Jewish because I'm a lawyer. The assumption is made by both Jews and gentiles alike. They usually look a bit disappointed when I tell them that I'm not. :rolleyes:

Vandolin
01-13-2004, 12:01 PM
Unless Zach is Egyptian, that Red Sea event wouldnt bother him a bit. ;)
Nice hunting Kite.

loose_cannon
01-13-2004, 03:42 PM
Nice kills there, Kite. I need to get down there one of these weekends and hook up with you and Don. It's too damn cold in the water up here for me.

I like the 11-87 super mag and shoot the same thing. If someone ever asks you why you need a 12 guage that shoots 3.5" shells, tell them it's because they don't make one that will shoot 4.0" shells yet...

We've got a ton of those wild pigs on our lease so if you ever want to get out of town, give me a PM. Our landowner's instrutions to us are "kill every one you see"...

kitefisherman
01-14-2004, 09:31 AM
Loose Cannon:

Don went out by himself yesterday and shot this 175# boar with his new crossbow. He said that his stand was surrounded by 11 shootable pigs - 5 of which were over 150#. The biiggest pig was a 225# boar, but he didn't want to have to deal with hauling such a big pig out of the brush and dressing it by himself.

Come down and hunt and dive with us sometime. We can hunt pigs year round, and Don has access to his Dad's 27' Dusky CC. Stuart has some big gags and lobsters.

kitefisherman
06-01-2004, 11:51 AM
Diligaf and I dove Saturday morning. We both limited out on hogfish on one tank. It was a beautiful day so I headed out to my friend Don's hunting lease to shoot some land based hogs.

Don's lease is expiring in June, and his family is not planning on renewing it since the owner is clearing the scrub to plant sod and so that the cattle are easier to find and round up. Accordingly, our objective was to take as much pork off the land as possible. No bows and arrows, no crossbows - just a .270 and my 12 gauge super magnum.

Early on, a coyote came trotting by. The last time that this happened, I let the coyote go by only to be lectured by everyone that I should have shot it. The coyotes on the land molest the pigs, quail, turkeys and other game and are apparently considered varmints. Moreover, coyotes are very wily and hard to shoot and considered a prize kill. Don and his family have seen a few coyotes on the lease the last few years but have never killed one. I must be a coyote magnet because I saw one on each of the last two hunts. Anyway, armed with my new mandate and 3 1/2 inches of 00 buckshot, Saturday's coyote didn't trot away.

About a half hour later, I heard the report of Don's .270 three times in quick succession. Several pigs had come in. Don dropped the largest (107#) with a head shot and managed to hit a second (100#) in the ass before it could disappear in the scrub. Don's shot took out the back legs, and he was able to get a second shot in the shoulder and out the chest before the pig could crawl away. Good shooting! Having enough work to do cleaning the pigs, we called it a day while there was still light.

Here's a shot of the smaller pig hanging with Don holding the bigger pig.

kitefisherman
06-01-2004, 11:56 AM
My Coyote (unposed). My full choke kept the buckshot concentrated in a tight pattern even at 35 yards. Note how close the shotshell wad landed next to the coyote which was spun around and instantly killed.

kitefisherman
06-01-2004, 01:20 PM
It's been a long time since I updated this thread. Here's a gobbler that I shot in Spring turkey season. It weighed 15 pounds and had a 10" beard and 1 1/4" and 1" spurs.

Dive Ranger
06-01-2004, 03:47 PM
Kite,

Nice bird. I've tried to explain how exciting a good Spring turkey hunt is to non-sportsmen and there's absolutely no comprehension. Eyes glaze over and the whole bit. They probably have visions of me carrying blunderbuss, wearing knickers, a big hat, long socks, and high heeled shoes with big-A buckles on the front of them trying to shoot the centerpiece for our table we'll share with the native savages while giving thanks.

BTW, in Alabama, where I grew up hunting, we'd occasionally have a coyote stalk us while trying to call up a gobbler. It seems that it's like ringing a dinner bell.

Nice shooting. Looks like fun.

Taylor

Brad B
06-01-2004, 04:24 PM
This last season I did poorly on the turkeys,only got to hunt one week-end at my place. But the highlight of the trip was a VERY large bobcat that was definitely looking for that over sexed turkey hen.(ME)

Tuna
06-02-2004, 06:36 PM
Dive Ranger has got it right. That is one heck of a bird. Where did you get him. Birds like that are hard to come by.

kitefisherman
06-02-2004, 11:00 PM
Tuna: My turkey was taken off Don's hunting lease NW of Lake Okeechobee. It was one of two gobblers of approximately the same size that came in at the same time. I could have taken a shot a the second bird as it ran off, but there is a 1 bird per day bag limit during Spring turkey season.

Several nice birds have come off that lease the last few years. It's a shame that the lease is over as the landowner is clearing the land.

Here's a picture of a 20 pound gobbler Don shot on Christmas Eve 2002. It had a beard of 12 1/4" with 1 1/2"spurs. This bird earned him a certificate from the FWC wild turkey registry for having taken the 21st largest Osceola turkey on record in Florida and the largest in Highlands County. http://www.wildflorida.org/turkey/registry/Registry_List.asp