PDA

View Full Version : Canal Diving

Nikki
03-07-2003, 05:33 PM
A friend's daughter threw her retainer into the canal behind his house - in about 6 feet of water. What do you think my chances are in finding said retainer if I do get past my dislike of cold water and actually look for it? Canals about 30 or 40 years old. Visability about a foot or two.

freshwatertim
03-07-2003, 06:41 PM
I guess I shouldn't say but I would guess slim to none. I went in looking for a pair of eye glasses in a pond here in Iowa. The vet droped me in within a 10 yd circle and after 30 min, a bailed. Vis. was zero though.

PaulR
03-07-2003, 07:12 PM
You are going to stir up so much silt, vis will be 0.000001" :p

It would be touch and feel type of thing. Honestly, I don't think you will find it.

richhermes
03-07-2003, 07:54 PM
Get a metal detector. That would be your only chance.

Ever see "Men of Honor"?? Pretend you're Carl Brashear and spend eight hours under water. You may find it then!!

201proguide
03-07-2003, 08:03 PM
honestly, i highly doubt that you will find it, since you werent there when the mouth piece was lost. with tides moving in and out, it is most likely to be covered up or moved from its origional spot.

a little story about finding stuff in canals... a couple years back i was wakeboarding in my canal. we were switching the bindings from wakeboard to wakeboard, and i accidently lost the screw in the water. both me and a buddy instanly jumped out and started searching. in about 20 minutes, we found the screw! man was i lucky.

another time wakeboarding, we lost a watch, and it was eailsy recovered, becuase of the experience gained by us with the above experience. in my opinion, your only chance is jumping in right after you loose whatever it may be. otherwise, you can pretty much kiss what ever it is goodbye...

swathdiver
03-10-2003, 03:13 PM
Hire a golf ball diver to find it. They're used to working in cold stanky water with no vos.

subdude
03-10-2003, 03:59 PM
Originally posted by Tropicaldiver
A friend's daughter threw her retainer into the canal...

Shouldn't the question be "How long it will it take the young lady to find it?"

Sorry, couldn't resist.

subdude

f94gator
03-10-2003, 04:36 PM
I agree. No friggin' way anyone's going to find that retainer.

joens
03-10-2003, 05:23 PM
I do a lot of diving at one of our local marinas .the owner keeps a list of everything people lose and when I show up I look for it .it is from limited to zero visibility .little current .and 20 -40 feet deep. usually I have very good details of where it dropped . heavier things like knives ,anchors ,cell phones etc usually go straight down and I can usually find them quickly .items that are lighter have a tendency to go anywhere and I sometimes only find those things by accident a month later looking for something else clear on the other side of the marina . bottom line if the canal has no current there is still a poor chance of finding it as I think the retainer would fit in the lighter catagory. if there is any current at all I wouldnt expect to find it and wouldnt bother to get wet unless there is some entertainment value in the search.
Joens

Nikki
03-10-2003, 06:16 PM
Thanks to everyone for their advice on the problem. So far, my friend's been sending in his son to snorkel and look in the area a couple of times and has not met with success. Myself, thinking it's not worth it since seems like finding a needle in a haystack based on the info you all have supplied. Maybe if he had called and we had looked the next morning (she threw it in around twilight), but didn't even let me know until 2 days later and had already "walked" around looking for it! :eek: Subdude - You're right on :D but she's not a good swimmer :( . You had better believe that dad won't let THAT happen again!

Diver Dan
03-10-2003, 07:45 PM
Hey TD,Being a search and recovery diver for almost twenty years I can damn near guarantee you won't find it. It will sink in the muck. It won't move much, but it really isn't worth the effort. We once threw some brass hose couplings in a bag off the Elks club in Mad Beach in the intercoastal for training and never did find them. Sunk in the muck! A metal detector is the only way. Dan

Nikki
03-11-2003, 05:44 AM
Didn't think that there would be much of a chance, seeing how I know of some guys that lost a Rolex in the river and spent about 2 days with an underwater metal detector and still didn't find it! One guy dropped his Rolex in for "calibration" in front of his face and almost lost his watch too! Just wanted to make sure that I was on track with this. The fact that it's a light object certainly wouldn't make location any easier - didn't think about that that!

Charlestondivin
03-11-2003, 07:06 AM
If there is any metal in the retainer try dragging a magnet. If you have an old computer hard drive pull it open and use the magnets out of it. They are freakishly strong.

MarkD
03-12-2003, 11:50 AM
Interesting discussion. My neighbor wants me to dive a local lake where his son dropped his wallet. He knows where it was dropped. :) I told him I would give it a shot, being that there is $600 in the wallet. From the sounds of this discussion it will just be an opportunity to wet my equipment. Now if I can only get him to guarantee that he will keep the gators away ......