PDA

View Full Version : Jax Boat Ramps?

Distraction
03-11-2003, 08:25 AM
Visited Jax this past weekend with wife and baby in tow. Considering moving from Virginia...LOVED it down there (even though it rained all weekend). Found some great houses, now will start looking for a job! :)

I have three questions about boat ramps:

1. I noticed the ramp downtown by the brewery and the Friendship Fountain. It looked great, but I noticed there were no trailers in the parking lot on Sunday, and noticed there was no one fishing on the river that I could see. Is it the wrong time of year to fish in the St. Johns? Is it safe to leave your vehicle parked at that boat ramp?

2. I noticed on the map that there were several boat ramps along the coast. Are there really ramps right into the ocean? How does that work (with the breakers and all)?

3. Which ramps do you guys prefer to use? I hope I'm not stirring up a controversial "my-ramp-is-better-than-your-ramp" topic. :) Just would like to know what you guys prefer to use for both your ocean diving excursions, as well as "in-the-river" fishing excursions.

Jacksonville rocks!

PS - I work at Capital One Financial in Richmond, VA. Anyone who works in the banking industry, drop me a line and let me know about jobs in that line of work. :) Thanks!

Matt
mattsanner@yahoo.com

fernandezh
03-11-2003, 09:08 AM
Originally posted by Distraction

1. I noticed the ramp downtown by the brewery and the Friendship Fountain. It looked great, but I noticed there were no trailers in the parking lot on Sunday, and noticed there was no one fishing on the river that I could see. Is it the wrong time of year to fish in the St. Johns? Is it safe to leave your vehicle parked at that boat ramp?

The reason there weren't any trailers was because of the Pirhana in the water. You are pretty lucky you didn't get eaten. :D

Seriously,
Welcome to Florida, I am sure you are going to love it as there is a lot to do. I've traveled all over and have yet to find anywhere else that can compare to it. I hope you and your family enjoy it and have a smooth transition.

Hector

100days-a-year
03-11-2003, 05:03 PM
Many Jax fishermen and divers are pussies.Most fish are closer to the inlet now.It was raining and T-boomin'.Mayport has closest access to the Atlantic at 1.5 NM away.Also has room to launch up to 10 boats at a time if everyone isn't an idiot.Realistically 6 at a time.The other ramps are further or less improved.Lo pay ,but Citi is adding 700 jobs soon .