PDA

View Full Version : Turkey season?

ryddragyn
03-02-2012, 03:13 PM
Is anybody in SoCal going bowhunting for turkey when the season starts in late March? I understand it can be a bit of a zoo on opening day with people competing for places to set up their blinds. If anybody is open to letting a land hunting novice show up just to quietly watch and learn, I'd greatly appreciate it. I've done lots of traditional archery, but no hunting. I can help with gas money and other misc expenses. Just let me know...

CaptainLeo
03-02-2012, 03:23 PM
Stay off my spots! I'm not sure if I'm going opening day or not. Will probably until mid week.

olcay demirlek
03-02-2012, 04:52 PM
hello ı m from turkey. in here land hunting closed. what do you want to learn from here ı can help you :)

CaptainLeo
03-02-2012, 05:32 PM
Hi Olcay, I think Ryan is talking about the bird turkey, not the country. Unless I have no clue what I'm talking about. Our turkey season opens at eh end of the month and it gets pretty crazy.

ryddragyn
03-02-2012, 06:13 PM
Holy crap Leo, my name is Alex. You know me! I guess I really need to change my screen name.

So can I watch you hunt turkeys, or is that about as awkward as asking to watch you pork your wife? :P

CaptainLeo
03-02-2012, 06:32 PM
The funny thing is, when I was typing I was think to myself why does Ryan not sound right? If you really want to go an watch, I don't care. Have you done the hunter safety course and gotten your license yet? If not, you need to get that done so you can shoot some turkeys, too.

miguelitro
03-02-2012, 09:38 PM
much like sb tells newcomers to go out without a gun you should do the same. buy maps start hiking, looking for tracks/scratches and then good luck when the season opens up. SD has great opps for hunting.
Mike

JDC 92
03-03-2012, 12:26 AM
caint help on the west coast but if you wanna come over here i've got the big birds on lock with plenty of private land to hunt over several different counties...been a hot winter but hopefully they wont go into their breeding season too early otherwise im effed in the a haha. had enough action last year to watch one walk just because he was facing away at 5 yards and couldnt see his beard...plus i had a personal issue with a certain bird that kept hangin up in the swamp, in the end that bird lost just took a few days

sportin the mako gear into the turkey holes

edit: all birds over 9 inch beard and over 20lbs.

Calif_Diver
03-03-2012, 12:34 AM
Ive been practicing my calls all week and applied for hunts,waiting for new decoys to arrive ,and ill be shocked if i get a turkey .

olcay demirlek
03-03-2012, 03:53 AM
caint help on the west coast but if you wanna come over here i've got the big birds on lock with plenty of private land to hunt over several different counties...been a hot winter but hopefully they wont go into their breeding season too early otherwise im effed in the a haha. had enough action last year to watch one walk just because he was facing away at 5 yards and couldnt see his beard...plus i had a personal issue with a certain bird that kept hangin up in the swamp, in the end that bird lost just took a few days

sportin the mako gear into the turkey holes

edit: all birds over 9 inch beard and over 20lbs.

woooww super :D congratulations :)

JDC 92
03-03-2012, 12:12 PM
thanks, what i lack in dive skills i make up for with turkeys haha

M4LFUNCT10N
03-04-2012, 05:18 PM
I've been wanting to get into turkey hunting. Might try my hand at it this year. My uncle sees them regularly on the property he helps maintain and the public land adjacent to it in North County.

ryddragyn
03-05-2012, 02:46 AM
I've been wanting to get into turkey hunting. Might try my hand at it this year. My uncle sees them regularly on the property he helps maintain and the public land adjacent to it in North County.

Good luck. When are you planning on going?

I went on a hike in San Diego today. Found some tracks.

http://img72.imageshack.us/img72/9779/photo2a.png

M4LFUNCT10N
03-05-2012, 09:16 PM
Won't be opening weekend... Too many other things going on right now. Honestly I need to plan a bit more. Im big into deer and pig... Turkey has just been something I've been toying with.

IB Boyd
03-17-2012, 11:58 AM
I think archery season extends 2 weeks past firearm season? Saw some HUGE flocks earlier this year......in William Heise park:mad:. I think half the battle is to get access to private land. The local mountains are thick with them. I didn't manage to get out last year.

CaptainLeo
03-17-2012, 02:04 PM
I saw plenty on public land during deer season. I even missed a 40 yard shot on one, watched the broadhead graze its back and cut some of the feathers. I know where I'll be heading for the season, unless that special someone on here gets the keys to his uncle's property up on Palomar.

gatorbrown2
03-17-2012, 03:11 PM
First requirement for turkey hunting ..... Hunt where there are turkeys.... That means scouting. And early morning listening ... Then get a gun ! That is if you are planning to eat one anytime soon. As a Cajun we eat everything but the gobble.. After you kill a few and don't feel totally inadequate then get a bow and a blind and try it.. Bring food as you will be getting the bird but not eating it.. Watch videos .. Get a slate/glass call .. Practice.. Call softly early and not often .. If you have a bird roosted.. Be patient... It ain't easy...

JDC 92
03-17-2012, 04:08 PM
just watched 5 long beards walk across the backyard... holla atcha boy! :D