PDA

View Full Version : Go Pro Head Strap Vs Gun Mount

pate55
06-24-2012, 10:42 PM
I currently have the head strap and im thinking about getting a gun mount....What do you think Pros, Cons of both? Thank you for your time.

jfjf
06-24-2012, 11:03 PM
They are both fun. The problem with the head mount is that it works poorly at the surface for freedivers, always half in the water and splashing etc. Underwater, it works well, but it is tough to get good clips which are steady enough to make viewing enjoyable. You need to concentrate on slow head motions or even no motion. This may present a limitation to your ability to affectively scan and hunt fish, because this often involves a lot of head motion. I think the head mount works great for showing your buddies what spearfishing looks like. If you want to make a video that is really nice to look at and steady, you need some other platform which provides for stability.

I end up having to use shorter clips, because of excessive head motion. The benefit of the head mount is that it is very little bother.. Just turn it on and film what you want.. Remember to aim it down more than you might first think and to periodically check the camera angle or you may end up with this:

screwy perspective; Spearfishing 6-2-12 - YouTube

I wear the head strap under the hood and it is secure and reasonably comfortable.

The gun mount works very well, provides a very stable platform for the camera and you will always get video of the shot.. but maybe not the ensuing fish wrestling.. depending on how the gun is balasted etc.

The big problem with the gun mount is people like to film their buddy and if the gun is loaded.. well this is not smart at all. I use the MAKO gun mount and it is configured with a quick release knob so you can disconnect the mount, hand hold the camera, film your buddy and then reattach to the gun in maybe 10 seconds...So there is no need to endanger your buddy. They offer a recoil stabilizer, which is necessary to prevent the camera from toggling backwards on the mount when fired (on my guns anway).

There are other handle options available as well. MAKO has a cool, single handle mount(AR -15) that I have been playing with, that is manageable when spearing if you can shoot the gun with one hand..

http://www.makospearguns.com/product-p/mar15h.htm