PDA

View Full Version : Let's Compare the GoPro Cameras Hero2 to the Hero3 Underwater

SpearMax
12-17-2012, 11:32 PM
I would like to start a thread comparing the Hero 2 to the Hero 3 underwater as a shark scientist friend is considering the purchase of some low cost used Hero 2 cameras. The goal here is to see if the new camera is really all that much better than the older camera.

Here is the Hero 3 chart from GoPro's website: http://gopro.com/product-comparison-hero3-cameras

I searched YouTube and found two relevant videos. If anyone is now shooting on the Hero 3, please post some sample underwater footage. I realize these videos are not apples to apples comparisons, but wanted to get the idea out of what we are looking for.

Here is a Hero 2 sample:

http://youtu.be/J7koehRPuAY

Here is a side-by-side Hero 2 and Hero 3 video, but I think he is not using the flat lens on the Hero2.

So, this may not be a completely valid comparison.

http://youtu.be/GbNTzel5vVg

jfjf
12-18-2012, 12:03 AM
You can't compare a hero 2 with a convex lens with a hero 3? You need a hero 2 in an underwater (flat lens) housing to make a useful comparison.

SpearMax
12-18-2012, 09:29 AM
You can't compare a hero 2 with a convex lens with a hero 3? You need a hero 2 in an underwater (flat lens) housing to make a useful comparison.

I realize that. The videos above are examples to frame the question. Let's see if anyone on Spearboard has or can find either a direct side-by-side comparison or two separate videos of their own creation or someone else's creation to illustrate the image quality differences between Hero 2 and Hero 3. I have a feeling the Hero 3 may not be as superior image-wise as widely assumed.

speargunhunter
12-18-2012, 12:22 PM
I have a feeling the Hero 3 may not be as superior image-wise as widely assumed.

I hope not Tony, i just spent about 700$ on my 2 setup maybe 8 months ago. That would suck.:(

kwtony
12-18-2012, 12:25 PM
While the comparison may not be equal, if you use the the gp3 footage and compare it to personal or other gp2 footage, it IS better. Quite a bit as far as im concerned. We just need more videos....

benthosslayer
12-18-2012, 04:40 PM
The go pro 3rd generation, black edition shoots much higher quality. I forgot the mode name, but it is capable of shooting with very low compression as well as a neutral color for easier editing. I picked one up a few weeks ago and had a bit to mess around with it before I sent it down to Mexico for a security detail. After a few contractors got abducted and beat in Ciuadad Victoria we have the GP black editions mounted in the grill and rear of the truck in hidden locations. If an incident occurs, the video is activated by the remote. Now everyone is joking around if they get abducted......at least there will be a good video of it for posterity.

SpearMax
12-18-2012, 08:18 PM
The go pro 3rd generation, black edition shoots much higher quality. I forgot the mode name, but it is capable of shooting with very low compression as well as a neutral color for easier editing. I picked one up a few weeks ago and had a bit to mess around with it before I sent it down to Mexico for a security detail. After a few contractors got abducted and beat in Ciuadad Victoria we have the GP black editions mounted in the grill and rear of the truck in hidden locations. If an incident occurs, the video is activated by the remote. Now everyone is joking around if they get abducted......at least there will be a good video of it for posterity.

Those fears must be killing their tourist industry.

fuzz
12-18-2012, 09:08 PM
The go pro 3rd generation, black edition shoots much higher quality. I forgot the mode name, but it is capable of shooting with very low compression as well as a neutral color for easier editing.

I believe benthos is talking about protune, which is available on the gp2 as well. It's kind of like shooting raw for digital pictures.

Here are my observations, comparing apples to apples (i.e. 1080x30fps for all 3):
GP2 has marked improvement over GP1 in low light (most of diving)
GP3 has slight improvement over GP2 in low light.
GP3 has lower battery life than older body style.
GP3 has marked improvement over both in audio quality.
GP3 has a lot smaller form factor.

GP3's new modes are cool, but the only feature I really like is the ability to take pics automatically while filming. The new app sounds cool to control/view from iphone/ipad/etc... but I haven't had a chance to play with it yet. :)

If you're getting a bunch for research, the older style GP2's would be the best bang for the buck. If you want the best... then the GP3 black is definitely the best GoPro available.

SpearMax
12-18-2012, 09:12 PM
Makes sense - Thanks Fuzz!

I gave the scientists some cost comparisons to factor in the accessories which adds up even if they go with the cheaper Hero2 used cameras. For example, they will probably want to get the additional Battery BacPac at $39.99 which will double the recording time to 4+ hours.

Here is my summary of costs per camera:

Used Hero 2 camera $150 plus new flat lens housing $40 plus Battery Bacpac $40 plus 32GB Card $80 = $310 total each.

New Hero 3 silver edition camera $300 plus Battery Bacpac $40 plus 32GB Card $80 = $420 total each.

Just add $100 more for the Hero 3 black edition for a total of $520 each.

benthosslayer
12-18-2012, 11:26 PM
One other bonus of the 3rd generation is the ability to use it while on the charger. Not sure if the 2nd gen is capable of that.

SpearMax
12-18-2012, 11:32 PM
One other bonus of the 3rd generation is the ability to use it while on the charger. Not sure if the 2nd gen is capable of that.

Hmmm - that is interesting. So, if you can run it on continuous power, how many minutes of footage can you record on a 64GB card at say 1080p 30fps? Has anyone seen a recording capacity chart?

rexgear
12-19-2012, 01:31 PM
i ran the GoPro3 Black at 960p with 100fps non stopped and the 16gb card got full after an hour and like 20 minutes or so, i still got battery left with the BacPac

btw here are two screen shot of a Hero2 1080p at at 30fps and the Hero3 Black at 960p with 100fps, they are only screen shot, but the clip it self seems much better on the Hero3 Black. In the Hero3 Black you are able to see much more details than in previous GoPros, these images are unedited screenshots from clips filmed the same day.

Hero3 Black:
http://i1022.photobucket.com/albums/af344/rexgear/Image1_zps6c0b7a68.jpg Btw this subject is Jeremy Foell

Hero2:
http://i1022.photobucket.com/albums/af344/rexgear/bullshark_zpsdf70cefc.jpg
This shot was taken from Aj's Gopro mounted in his head.

Bill McIntyre
12-19-2012, 02:17 PM
Let me know what you guys decide. I can't get past that first video.

fuzz
12-19-2012, 02:23 PM
btw here are two screen shot of a Hero2 1080p at at 30fps and the Hero3 Black at 960p with 100fps, they are only screen shot, but the clip it self seems much better on the Hero3 Black. In the Hero3 Black you are able to see much more details than in previous GoPros, these images are unedited screenshots from clips.

Appreciate your input, but really need an apples to apples comparison of the same subject/lighting/distance/etc. These are two completely different scenarios and compositions.

kwtony
12-19-2012, 02:30 PM

Im surprised they could make all the children leave from the kiddie pool so they could film those hooke- i mean ladies...

rexgear
12-19-2012, 02:37 PM
Appreciate your input, but really need an apples to apples comparison of the same subject/lighting/distance/etc. These are two completely different scenarios and compositions.

No problem, i agree with the composition been different, but both clips were shot the same day with same amount of light, ill try to post some videos of a side by side comparison. =)

rhyne
12-19-2012, 02:46 PM
I'm with Bill... it was tough to get past that first video :)
in regards to saving a lil coin... I picked up 2 - 32GB cards from Best Buy for my new GP3 Black ... $17/ea.
Don't buy those things from GoPro.

In regards to quality, i can't offer much there other than I think it ultimately just depends on what your intention is... do you need the quality for professional level videography or are ya just making some fun lil flicks? the GP2 is pretty dang good.

aue-mike
12-19-2012, 09:14 PM
Here is a cave diving video in MX with a GoPro 3 black. They are using video lights, the water is clear, and the white limestone helps too, but you can still get an idea of its low-light performance, or rather the level of noise you get (or don't get) compared to other GoPros. Pretty nice...

http://vimeo.com/54943507

Cheers,
Mike

SpearMax
12-19-2012, 10:19 PM

LOL :rofl:

I was wondering when this testosterone crowd would pick up on that "planted-for-reaction" first video :scratch:

Kudos to you Bill! :toast: :D :D :D

fuzz
12-19-2012, 10:21 PM
LOL :rofl:

I was wondering when this testosterone crowd would pick up on that "planted-for-reaction" first video :scratch:

Kudos to you Bill! :toast: :D :D :D

The oldest guy on Spearboard is the first to comment on boobs? :confused:

Man, what's wrong with us... :lol:

SpearMax
12-19-2012, 10:32 PM
Here is a cave diving video in MX with a GoPro 3 black. They are using video lights, the water is clear, and the white limestone helps too, but you can still get an idea of its low-light performance, or rather the level of noise you get (or don't get) compared to other GoPros. Pretty nice...

http://vimeo.com/54943507

Cheers,
Mike

Nice Example Mike!

I think this frame from that video illustrates the dynamic range of the camera. The blowout of the foreground subject closest to the bright video light shows the camera's overexposure limitations while the low-light sensitivity shown in the space in front of the diver is pretty good for such a small and cheap POV camera. The Hero 3 Black edition is definitely better in low light than the Hero 2 from all that I have read. But, if most of the user's filming will not be in low light, is the higher price justified? - that is each person's value proposition to be considered.

http://www.cambridgeincolour.com/tutorials/dynamic-range.htm

http://www.spearboard.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=182878&stc=1&d=1355974073

SpearMax
12-19-2012, 10:34 PM
The oldest guy on Spearboard is the first to comment on boobs? :confused:

Man, what's wrong with us... :lol:

OK - I will comment on the nice booties to get even with Bill. :D :D :D

rexgear
12-20-2012, 10:45 AM
OK - I will comment on the nice booties to get even with Bill. :D :D :D

lmao! LOL

Knoah15
12-20-2012, 08:17 PM
GoPro Hero 3 Black vs GoPro Hero 2 Underwater Comparison - Shallow Water Tests - YouTube directcomparison when diving cali waters

LunkerBuster
12-20-2012, 08:46 PM
Two looked better there

SpearMax
12-21-2012, 02:07 AM
Two looked better there

I agree with you. The black may be a bit less grainy, but the exposure was darker.

A better comparison would be to run 1080p at 30fps for both cameras.

Look at the YouTube comments on that video like this:

You're welcome. Hero3 black has the best low-light IMO. Hero2 and Hero3 silver is about the same low-light performance that is not bad at all.

SpearMax
12-23-2012, 02:36 PM
How is the "underwater" sound of the Hero3?

http://youtu.be/Uay26ZkbyXY

Money $hot
12-23-2012, 08:38 PM
I'm in on whatever is for sale in the first vide

Bill McIntyre
12-23-2012, 08:40 PM
I was hoping to rent.

spearq8
12-26-2012, 01:58 AM
I got busted by the wife watching the first video, spilled coffee all over my keyboard trying to change screens quickly before she came to check what I was so fixated on!

Anyway, I just received the Go Pro 3 black a few days ago, and while I haven't tested it underwater, the first thing I noticed is that it has much better low light capability than the original Hero and Hero 2. I think that is critical for underwater use, especially when you go below 15 feet. I really want to try out the high fps to see if I can get some underwater video of a speargun shooting to see if I can learn more of what is happening with bands recoiling and what happens to the shaft as it exits. Still need some more time playing around with the features, but one feature that is still missing is Image Stabilization. I have one Hero 1 and 2 x Hero 2's and now this Hero 3 ... most likely in a couple of month Go Pro will come up with a new camera with better low light performance and Image Stabilization and I will have to buy a Hero 4! I guess they know how to get people to keep buying these things!

jfjf
12-26-2012, 06:52 AM
How is the "underwater" sound of the Hero3?

http://youtu.be/Uay26ZkbyXY

I shot some video with the Hero 3 last week. My buddy shot his large Wong gun from at least 60 feet away. I was surprised how loud the shot sounded from that distance.

However, voices still seem to be pretty low volume when they are 8 feet away from the camera.

ahoullis
12-26-2012, 07:56 AM
i got a hero 3 for christmas, do oyu think i should use 1080, or 720p for spearfishing?

SpearMax
12-26-2012, 08:17 AM
i got a hero 3 for christmas, do oyu think i should use 1080, or 720p for spearfishing?

Some of my external research on Hero3 underwater shooting says with the camera's higher speed capabilities, you might want to try 1080p at 60 frames per second.

Then in post production you can slow it down and otherwise edit the footage.

Let us know how that works out if you try it.

ahoullis
12-26-2012, 08:29 AM
will do,thanks SpearMax, cant wait to get out and use it

kwtony
12-26-2012, 10:19 AM
Tip #42 GoPro - Hero 2 vs Hero 3 Morning Sun testing with ProTune / WB settings - YouTube <---------- surface

here is a video that actually compares the two cameras properly unlike the stuff thats been posted so far...

Tip #57 GoPro - Hero 3 vs Hero 2 with Dive Housing - Under water comparison - YouTube <-----underwater

DaveG99
12-26-2012, 10:35 AM
I think we need more testing using the same style as the first video.

ahoullis
12-26-2012, 06:39 PM
can anyone explain why when i play a video i recorded on my computer with windows 7 it works fine, but then i play it on my computer with windows vista the video is like slow motion and skips like 10 seconds at a time ??

SpearMax
12-26-2012, 06:45 PM
can anyone explain why when i play a video i recorded on my computer with windows 7 it works fine, but then i play it on my computer with windows vista the video is like slow motion and skips like 10 seconds at a time ??

Windows 7 is a better operating system than windows Vista.

Compare the machines "System" onder "Control Panel"

Faster processor, more RAM and faster drive RPMs can make a big difference in video performance, especially if your video file is large. Try saving it as mp4 format.

SDDiver5
12-27-2012, 12:45 PM
When I had my go pro 2 I used to edit footage on the computer. I got a gopro 3 white edition for x mas. Is it possible to edit footage on an ipad anybody know?

D

KeysKid
12-27-2012, 02:21 PM
SDDiver, one of my friends edits his spearfishing videos on his ipad. I'm not sure how he does it, but its possible. I'm sure editing on a computer would come out a lot better though.

Will OA
12-28-2012, 03:04 AM
When I had my go pro 2 I used to edit footage on the computer. I got a gopro 3 white edition for x mas. Is it possible to edit footage on an ipad anybody know?

D

There is an imovie app on the ipad. so you probably can use that.

Will

Will OA
12-28-2012, 03:10 AM
I just bought the hero 3 black edition with the wifi remote included.

Now i'm wondering has anyone tried using the Wifi remote underwater at around 60 feet?

Thanks,
Will

isotopez
12-28-2012, 01:15 PM
No way that remote signal is going through water

Regarding 1080 vs 720. Most of you guys shooting for fun won't notice a whole lot of difference in quality unless viewing on a monitor with minimum 1920x1080 resolution. File size on 1080 is much bigger, takes more processing power to edit and export.

I shoot 1080 with my big cameras to be able to crop different suits if need be and not lose quality, but that's for landscape and other shots.

Will OA
12-28-2012, 01:23 PM
Actually the remote is waterproof but limited to 10 feet. So i'm assuming it works if the camera is not too far...

Just wondering if someone had tried going deeper than 10 feet with it.

SpearMax
12-28-2012, 09:00 PM
I found a very good comparison/specs page here:

http://gopro.com/cameras/hd-hero3-black-edition#description

Be sure to click on all three of those tabs on that page.

SpearMax
12-28-2012, 09:36 PM
Here is what some special effects professionals think of the Hero 3:

http://www.fxphd.com/blog/cineform_protune_gopro_hero3/

SpearMax
01-02-2013, 10:26 PM
Watch this fellow's video as a good example of the Hero3 with 60 frames per second and some filters slowed to 30 frames per second in post production.

Here is his description:

Published on Jan 2, 2013

A quick test showing 2 +10 macro (close up) filters stacked.

Shot in 1080p60 narrow mode with PT on and Cam Raw WB. This mode is only selectable via the app atm so I set it before going in the water.

The Filters used were a +10 vivitar macro on top of a +10 macro from Ace filters with a SRP Blurfix3 SO filter adapter.

http://youtu.be/k3szrVbipO8