PDA

View Full Version : GoPro 3 or GoPro 3 Black?

stevemc1
01-21-2013, 06:17 PM
My local dive shop has them all, and I do want to get the 3, I dont need the remote control, dont know if I would use the 1440 either. Maybe some day resolution will permit that. Plus I know the 3 black has a 12 MB still picture and the 3 has an 11. I know the black is better, but would I even be able to work with it? would I need a special computer to process 1440 and high speed/slow mo? I am sure I would need to have a fast processor, and a huge ram, plus a good editing program. What is the minimum computer I would need-ideal computer. I have a great computer guy who can build me anything, so that is not a problem. Like I said the black is better, but I want to know can I work with it with just a regular normal several year old PC computer or laptop. I have 2 PCs, a Dell and an IBM, IBM is newer, dont remember what is in them, and a Sony Viao Laptop, which I dont think it has the guts the others have. They are all barebones to keep them very fast. Not a lot of crap programs. I can go to systems of each and find out what I have. Any feedback? I am thinking the 3 black, but I want to know can I use a regular computer and get the res, and not have it chug to a halt.

rhyne
01-21-2013, 06:21 PM
search feature should reveal a few good threads related to your question... from there you'll need a more specific review of your hardware. The Black has a fair amount of features not offered in the other models... in this case i decided to go for the Black. Having room to grow seemed like a better option than potentially reaching a block.

stevemc1
01-21-2013, 06:31 PM
I agree the 3 black is the ultimate, but I do want to be able to use it to its fullest. I guess I worded my question a little wrong. I have done some reading and hear about people having problems with the 3 black giving choppy replays on a computer in 1440. I guess that is like a gaming computer versus one not made for it. I feel I will get the 3 black, but might have to upgrade a computer. Any other feed back is great. I will call my computer guy to see what he can do on my frames. Any help with what I would need speed of processor, RAM, and anything else. meanwhile I will see. what I have in all 3, most likely just the IBM. Although the Dell might be easier/cheaper to hot rod.

jfjf
01-21-2013, 06:44 PM
I think the real cost is going to be the PC upgrade and software upgrade rather than the measly $100 for the Black...

jkvshooter
01-21-2013, 06:52 PM
I think the real cost is going to be the PC upgrade and software upgrade rather than the measly $100 for the Black...

Haha
Right on point! My $400 go pro cost me $1300 for a new macbook plus Final Cut Pro and some other editing software. It is pretty cool, though. You can watch live feed from your iPhone, which has really helped in angling while mounting. I am new to the whole editing thing, but going through old footage sure gets me motivated to go on another adventure. I guess for a $100 extra bucks why wouldn't you get the black?

Stay well,
jkvshooter

rhyne
01-21-2013, 07:03 PM
and you can always adjust your settings to shoot in lower resolution if it helps your ability to work with your PC power limitations.

jkvshooter... how do you view live feed from your iphone? That's awesome! i take it I should just go search for the gopro app, huh? haha

stevemc1
01-21-2013, 08:25 PM
Oh, I know the black is the bomb, I want it and will get it, I was just wanting to know if I could work it on my computer. I guess I will see!

jkvshooter
01-22-2013, 01:26 AM
and you can always adjust your settings to shoot in lower resolution if it helps your ability to work with your PC power limitations.

jkvshooter... how do you view live feed from your iphone? That's awesome! i take it I should just go search for the gopro app, huh? haha

The Gopro app does it all for you. Unfortunately it's only a "preview" and won't show actual recorded footage. It's like looking through the camera when it's not recording. Pretty cool spy shit. hahaaa

I haven't tried to see how deep the remote (or iPhone) signal will work, but I'll try it in the pool tomorrow.

Oceanborn829
01-22-2013, 06:00 AM
I just wanted to point out one thing that no one has touched on yet. Even if you don't plan on using 1440, the black can shoot 1080 at 60fps, where the silver can only shoot 1080 at 30fps. That really makes a difference, especially when it comes to slo-mo and post production.

stevemc1
01-22-2013, 08:00 AM
Yes I have been convinced to get the black, and bring up my other technology to work with it. Thanks all. 3 Black it is! Now I need to get a PC built up. I was told at the dive shop that there are apps for the iphone, that let you use it as a remote, for 1 camera only, the remote that comes with the black can start and stop a whole bunch of them, and to view what it sees.

xpuddlepirate
01-22-2013, 11:48 AM
I used the black on my last dive and my PC definitely can't handle it. I had to download VLC just see see the vids and even then it was choppy. I went for 720 with the highest fps setting. No way in hell I'm spending more money on a new PC just for a camera. I may be posting a Gopro for sale soon if the only way to be able to view the vids from it is to upgrade my computer. I don't know if the verdict is out yet wether the vid quality is that much better.

rhyne
01-22-2013, 12:05 PM
Good choice Steve. I'm in pretty much the same boat on the computer side of things... but am due for a technology upgrade anyway. looking forward to seeing what kind of footage comes out of editing after that's all said and done though :)

wrasselin... ain't nothing wrong with setting the camera to 720P and enjoying the hell out of it... there's no rule against not using all of the gopro's capabilities. It's still supposed to have better quality in low lighting and some other features not found in the other models... & ya already have it. If you're having issues with PC horsepower even when shooting at 720P then other camera options will probably give ya the same issues.