PDA

View Full Version : 3/22 Ponce Mango Tango

Divin' fool
03-24-2003, 09:33 AM
Finally slipped out between the bad weather days to go shooting with UWHunter (Dave), Steve and Harry on Sat. As we headed out the inlet we could'nt believe how nice the seas were.... easy rollers and light W wind..... damn NOAA was finally right. We all decided that we should head South to some areas that had not been hit in a while.
On the first dive we rolled in to find snot up top and maybe 7 foot vis at 80fsw, temp was 74 on top and 65 on the bottom. Snapper were everywhere. Huge Mangos were moving in and out of the cracks and lots of other snapper. Very few Grouper were seen. Steve snatched a 10+# lobster, but the bugs were scarce.
Second dive... ditto on the fat Mangos. I did'nt see any bugs, but Dave saw at least a dozen... unfortunatley he forgot his lobster gear top.
Long story short, the boat ended up with a limit of Mangos and assorted other bottom dwellers. Only one more weekend of lobster grabbing left. Going to try it again before the 1st of April.

Merk
03-24-2003, 09:49 AM
Nice report. Yha, I hear you about flat seas on Saturday. I didn't see you at the boat ramp when we got in around 6:45 pm. You probably were gone before we arrived. We got in a little late since we had to stop by the SeaDog to weigh a couple of fish.

Anyway, we went deeper on Saturday had good results but the bugs were hard to come by. A report should be coming soon as Seastalker is getting the photos ready for posting.

btw..... was that you at the ramp on Wednesday evening?

Merk

Divin' fool
03-24-2003, 12:10 PM
We got to the ramp at 6:15 and it scared us.... only 15 or 20 trailers. Did we read the weather report right?:confused:
Guess people were afraid of the weather. NOAA has been so F-ed up lately.
I don't think I can remember a nicer day on the top. We were doing 30+ knots coming back to the inlet. Thought I saw Mark's truck and trailer at the ramp. How are you guys standing in the tournament?

Merk
03-24-2003, 12:36 PM
NOAA.... what a joke! SeaStalker was the only one of us that entered. As of Friday there weren't any fish weighed in so it's hard to tell how many people signed up. He weighed in a gag, AJ and sheephead Saturday.

I guess the tournament ends this Saturday so there's still time.

Did you enter?

Divin' fool
03-24-2003, 12:41 PM
No... we decided the weather was going to be so screwed up, we did'nt know if we were even going to get to go. Sounds like Seastalker is going to get some more stuff... I think he's got ALL the cool toys and chit already anyway:D

Merk
03-24-2003, 12:44 PM
yha but that's where I come in....:D