PDA

View Full Version : 22 March Ponce Report

seastalker
03-24-2003, 11:20 AM
22 March

Crew Boat 1: Merk, Shooter Dan, Remax Reeler, SeaStalker
Boat 2: Brewer, Dabull Trouble, Webers (need their reports)

seas-1-2
Temp: 67 first 10 feet 75 next 50 feet and 65-68 on bottom
vis: 40 feet
depth: 96-147

Before we get divers in the water Merk pulls up a 12.5lb red snapper. Enough of that... it's time to get wet!

Dive 1: Shooter Dan and SeaStalker drop on sunken barge in 140 feet. Little to no current AJ's and spadefish greet us at 70 feet mangos and small scamps are in the mid water column. We approach the wreck and see gags and huge go's darting in and out of the wreck. I see a 30 lb class grouper hit him a little high and he rips the shaft out when darting in the wreck, next I see 10 lb go that I quickly string up, and then a small red snapper, turn to see another nice gag watching me I quickly reload and send steel between the eyes thinking I've stoned him I pull him off the shaft before stringing him...my mistake as I attempt to run the stringer through the eyes he gets a second wind and I've wasted a fish. Regroup and see another nice gag hit him from 15 feet but the shaft pulls. Damn I'm blowing one of the top dives of the year. Quickly I make a bead on a 30lb gag and sting him up quickly. I see Dan with a huge grouper on his stringer and he's gives me ! a quick yea baby glance and moves to the other side of the wreck. I move on top the wreck and see a 50 plus gag parked near the wheelhouse. Line up the shaft and WTF..I missed from 10 feet on a fish of a life time???? bottom time's up and I'm in a 18 minutes deco. On my way up I take a 25 lb AJ to fill out the stringer. Dan and I deco in 20 feet with virtually no current.

Dive 2: Merk and Remax Reeler drop........ Merk hits the barge with grouper and snapper darting in and out of the wreck. With others pushing the fish he stands in one spot and blasts grouper as they circle the inner section of the barge. These guys were smart.... with each shot they dart between obstruction in and out of the holes trying to pull and mangle his shaft. Not a great dive as he hates leaving chum on the bottom. With limited bottom time it joins the group doing deco for a brief safety stop.

Dive 3 Shooter Dan, SeaStalker and Remax Reeler want a chance of redeeming ourselves. We bring larger lights hoping to dig out the injured gags. The fish have the inside of the wreck so stirred up we can't see in the holes. I turn my attention to the larger go's and quickly string up 3 nine pounders before my 11 minute bottom time elapses. Remax Reeler is busy with fighting a grouper and looses his line shaft. ( good choice rather than entering the cabin with no vis and the 450 plus jewfish watching over the entrance.)

Dive 4 Run over a small break east on SW15. Remax Reeler and Merk make the dive. Merk never hits the ledge as he pulls 5 bugs and a few go's with the biggest being 9 lbs from path rock. He moved about 20 feet on the entire dive. Remax Reeler runs the ledge but has slim pickings but manages a nice reg grouper and a few go's. Not bad for a new ledge.

Dive 5 Shooter Dan and SeaStalker make a few sand dollar dives around hard bottom. manage a few triggers and sheephead. SeaStalker revieves a few tattoes from not not stringing the trigger through the mouth. Honestly wife a trigger did that...

Dive 6 SeaStalker and Shooter Dan hit the mail ledge. I string a 10 pound gag and a few go's one 12.5 lbs.

Dive 7 Merk and SeaStalker do an exploratory dive on a small ledge, mostly patch rock but manage 6 go's and a few triggers each.

Dive 8 Shooter Dan and Remax Reeler hit the a spot in 80 feet we cleaned up on earlier in the week only to find the go's have left the building. Just three days earlier we hit this ledge and there were hundreds of 4-9 lbs go's swimming all over the ledge. Today....nothing.

It was a productive day where each of us set a personal best, Dan's 42 lb Warsaw, SeaStalker's 12.5 go, Merk's 12.5 red snapper & 9lb go, and Remax Reeler's red grouper. Not too many trips when everyone in the boat has something to put in their record book.

Overall catch:
2 gags to 28lbs
1 warsaw to 42 lbs
1 red grouper to 7 lbs
1 rockhide
2 red sanpper to 13 pounds
1 aj to 25 pounds
15 gos all up to 12.5 lbs
6 triggers
a few sheephead
2 lesser aj's

pics to follow.....http://www.momentoffame.com/snapshots/MomentOfFame/l33365.jpg

http://www.momentoffame.com/snapshots/MomentOfFame/l33363.jpg

http://www.momentoffame.com/snapshots/MomentOfFame/l33439.jpg

http://www.momentoffame.com/snapshots/MomentOfFame/l33440.jpg

http://www.momentoffame.com/snapshots/MomentOfFame/l33441.jpg

http://www.momentoffame.com/snapshot.html?id=33445

Divin' fool
03-24-2003, 11:29 AM
Somabeech... great dives. Sounds like your crew may be picking up a few prizes at the tournament. Well done. Thought we saw your vehicle at the ramp in the pm.

Gator97dwb
03-24-2003, 12:31 PM
Nice shooting guys. Sounds like you have found the honey hole out there. Makes me think diving a little deeper might not be that bad. How did Brewer do? Post a picture of that Warsaw if get a chance.

fernandezh
03-24-2003, 12:48 PM
Great job guys,
Post the pictures, we would love to see them.:rolleyes:

Look Out Below
03-24-2003, 01:02 PM
Sweet deal....

I got a chance to see that Warsaw Sunday! True fattie there...

fishsniper85
03-24-2003, 01:03 PM
Seastalker,

fishsniper85
03-24-2003, 01:14 PM
Seastalker,

Great report. I wish we would have had the weather you guys had on Sat. Tailchaser, Thomas, and I went out on Sun., and the storms kicked our asses. It was cold, windy, and rough. No dives were made, but we did manage 2 red grouper (1 bottomed out the 30lb bogga), and a limit of red snapper (with a nice 15lb sow). Tailchaser will post the pics soon. Maybe we can get on the bugs this weekend weather permitting

Mickey

seastalker
03-24-2003, 01:25 PM
Damn Tony's the man when it comes to putting you on the fish....how far out did you run? pics will be up by tonight......

fishsniper85
03-24-2003, 02:17 PM
we were about a mile from your wreck.

Maby you should dust off your powerhead. I would have liked to see you come to the boat with 5 big gags. Mabe after Lobster season, Tony and I can get with you guys and make one of those deep dives.

webers
03-24-2003, 02:54 PM
I'd just like to say to Seastalker, Shooter Dan, Merk, Lee RemaxReeler), Dave and Dave (Dabulltrouble):

I had a great time this Sat. We had glass flat seas, nice skies, and decent vis, after you got past the first 10 to 30 feet of pea soup. I did boned on 3 dives and only caught bait. Acutally, I had a bead on a nice Red, but my spear BOUNCED right off him (Must have been just inches out of range). To bad for that Red. I turned to me in shock and awe that it didn't die, just in time to have Dave plug it with his spear! Now that's what I call covering fire. In the end, I still came out great. Dave and Dave were stand up guys and gave me me a fat ass lobster tail!!! I cooked it up for the wife and she loved it-- so much that she promised never again to give me lip about leaving the house at 1:30 am to drive East. Thanks Dave(s)!

OH yea, I did catch a realy pretty fish. Its green , gives off a lot of light and has an appendage that looks like a bras clip. Found it just laying there in the sand looking up at me. Hmmn? What could it be? SeaStalker-- send me the address where you want it shiped, and I'll mail it to you for your aquarium, along with a nice scale for weighing it.

The rest of the guys slayed them!!! Shooter Dan nailed a huge ass grouper. Rumor puts it above 40lbs. Someone's mango topped 12lb -forget who shot it. Either Lee or Merc also gaought a bis American Red on the old rod and reel. Dave ticlkled out two of his largest lobsters to date, and Merk loaded the boat with them on another dive. As usual, Seastalker filled his stringer on each dive to the bending point;He and Shoter Dan had hot guns !!!!!!!! Thoose fish didn't stand a chance. Amazingly, Seastalker lost several grouper up to 50lbs after they pulled of his shaft or missed.

Great trip.

P.S. I left my case of all of my shafts on Dave's boat. I'm without any till I get it back. Will trade Seastalker for his scale and dive light. . .

Webers

100days-a-year
03-24-2003, 04:54 PM
Nice job fellas,I'm going to be in your 'hood this summer I hope I see as much as ya'll get.

Tail Chaser
03-24-2003, 07:25 PM
Pretty work seastalker!! We started in the same area, but the storms made it tough. We did manage some nice fish the old fashion way, and got to watch fishsniper85's wife chum the water :D

Unable to post the pics due to the digital falling from the t-top to the deck during the ride home.......

Gator97dwb nice codia on Sat.

Shooter Dan
03-24-2003, 10:22 PM
What a weekend and I'll be putting up fish for two days. The Warsaw went 42.5 and was a short, fat pig. I didn't see a mention of the whale we saw that day. I was ready to drop over with my line gun to look for cobia, but the top 20' was all brown water anyway. Seastalker was down and we held our ground on the marker to keep another boat away. The whale went at least 30'. I saw it break water about 5 times from about 600 yards away. It was really glassy that day which made it look closer.

We all had personal best for the day!

At least NOAA got the forcast correct for 1/2 of the weekend. Thanks guys, I guess that all that we could ask for.

I've still got to take in my film, but I'll have the pictures soon.

I got half of the slab from Burt Lancaster today and he'll be working on my gyotaku (fish rub) for the next few weeks.

Steel Shootin'
03-25-2003, 07:47 AM
That's what I'm talking about! Good stuff. You guys really have some quality fish there.

Merk
03-25-2003, 08:03 AM
That's right, forgot all about the whale.

Dan - what was the name of the huge turtle we saw..... was it a leather back or something like that?

RemaxReeler
03-25-2003, 08:32 PM
Turtle, turtle, turtle, and no one would move the boat so we could throw a jig at it, it could have been the monster cobia of the year! It's hard for me to give up the rod & reel. As the neophtye on the boat, I had alot to learn... Brewer thanks for the weight, I still owe you 2 #'s... Seastalker, thanks for driving, running the boat, and loaning me the shaft... DiverDan - we'll what can I say but I'm very glad you were in the right place at the right time .... Merc thanks for always lending a helping hand when getting ready and your gifted filleting skills... Dabull thanks for the help cleaning up da fishes... and Weber it was great meeting ya. As always, I know if I had done a few simple things differently, I could've brought a few more fish to the boat. I'm getting more comfortable with the mechanics and getting better at tracking and nailing the fish. I hope I can return the favors and entertain some of you guys on the retro-fitted RemaxReeler as the weather improves.

Shooter Dan
03-25-2003, 10:13 PM
Originally posted by Merk
That's right, forgot all about the whale.

Dan - what was the name of the huge turtle we saw..... was it a leather back or something like that?

It was a leatherback
http://www.orf.org/turtles_leatherback.html

Tail Chaser
03-26-2003, 06:05 AM
That is a nice warsaw....Man I have got to do the deep dives out thier. What percent nitrox were you on? What size tanks, and how long was the bottom time? Very nice!!:p

seastalker
03-26-2003, 07:40 AM
27-28 mix.....usually an 80 will work unless it's stacked with fish. Dan and I both used 120's, Dan also carried a scrub bottle for his deco......have to be careful your deco time adds up fast once you have maxed bottom time...both drops I had 18 and 20 minute deco. If the current would have been bad I would have not pushed the deco time so high.........

Merk
03-26-2003, 07:46 AM
I was using a 26 mix and got about 12-15 minutes of bottom time without going into deco...... total time in the water was 25 min.

I think Dan does better with bottom time since he uses a richer mix pony at 30 feet to facilitate with the off gassing...... man, I need to get me one of those. :D

dabulltrouble
03-26-2003, 08:29 AM
who took the picture of the 2 nice bugs i got.i,m gonna need that pic for my colection.also i have a pony bottle brand new and an extra reg and a bracket that you could use if you wanted to merk

seastalker
03-26-2003, 12:41 PM
dabull trouble not another imprint on your pillow case again.....:D

I have a few pics I need to get you....to include that mack daddy stringer of goes

Merk
03-26-2003, 04:43 PM
I think I gave a couple of pictures to SeaStalker that would look really nice on your pillow case.

I didn't realize you had a pony bottle. I'm thinking of getting one for when I get back to the boat. Sure helps get rid of headaches after fighting the current on the west coast. I don't get headaches very often but when I do taking the pony for a ride pretty much clears them up.

Tail Chaser
03-26-2003, 08:58 PM
Thanks for the info...
Seastalker I'll get my tanks filled to the right mix. I want to hit some spots to the south of that area if your interested..

Deep Relief
03-27-2003, 05:06 PM
Hey Sea Stalker,
It was great meeting you guys at the Sea Dogs dock. I didn't really think many of the spearboard members went out of Ponce. Weare going out Sat. on a friends boat (1st & Ten) Mine is in the shop..(new powerhead&starter..yuk) We'll have to do some slingin this year....Later...Mark