PDA

View Full Version : GWS visits Maui

thecrab87
03-11-2005, 02:23 PM
I saw a picture taken at a very popular Maui tourist snorkel/scuba spot. It was taken by a lady tourist while on scuba. It clearly shows the front half of a HUGE great white. The diver was slightly below, so the picture is taken at an upwards angle and the surface is visible beyond the shark. What an awesome fish!

Will try to get a copy and scan it.

bryansnarked
03-11-2005, 04:10 PM
:eek:

Dave Ness
03-11-2005, 04:20 PM
what spot in Maui??

Stodelle
03-11-2005, 04:27 PM
Molokini. A half sunken crater off the coast of Maui. This is like the 3rd or 4th sighting in Hawaii of GWS in the past year. Almost as rare as the Orcas we had here about a year ago as well.

thecrab87
03-11-2005, 05:57 PM
[QUOTE=Stodelle]Molokini. A half sunken crater off the coast of Maui.QUOTE]

And, might I add, visited by scads of coconut oil smelling, neon colored equipment wearing tourists that flail about randomly. The Hawaii expression for people with no tan i.e. very white is "Shark Bait," which seems very appropriate in this context.

[QUOTE=Stodelle]This is like the 3rd or 4th sighting in Hawaii of GWS in the past year.QUOTE]

I particularly like the one that did the ballastic missle act on a mahi at an Oahu buoy, launching out of the water, then proceeding to chew on the fisherman's prop. Just a wonderful visual when you're drifting by the buoy dropping your chum. Aaaaaaaaaaah!

Every time someone asks me how I think that fish that I speared felt while I was hunting it down, I say, "About the same way I feel when a shark tries to take a bite out of me and I have to fend it off. I don't see you getting into the food chain for that hamburger you're grubbing on."

bakayaro666
03-11-2005, 10:36 PM
I tell you what, if I ever saw one of those buggas, I wouldn't be worried about taking a freakin' picture! But from what I hear, scary shit like that always looks better through a lense. Ha ha.

I know its wishful thinking to say that I hope it stays in Molokini, but it didn't eat anybody yet....

Baka!

mike haromy
03-13-2005, 12:12 AM
http://www.oar.noaa.gov/spotlite/
here's the link to a few pics

calispearo
03-13-2005, 06:17 PM
You guys can have em... we don't want em.... j/k

LSUBigL
03-13-2005, 09:29 PM
Oh man, if my wife sees this, I'll never get her in the water...Admin please delete this thread!!!

Peter R.
03-13-2005, 09:49 PM
Watch out, the one in Fig. 5 looks pissed off! That scar looks like some misguided spearo tried to stone him. :eek:
;)

Peter Roche
Tustin, CA

thecrab87
03-14-2005, 01:18 PM
http://www.oar.noaa.gov/spotlite/
here's the link to a few pics

Mike-

Thanks for that link! Cool stuff, would actually love to see one in the water. Every time I've seen a big shark, I've come away from the encounter with such awe at their physical presence. They really are amazing animals.

I know of four other encounters not in the article, so they're out there.