PDA

View Full Version : Newport, Or March 28th

Dave Ness
03-20-2005, 10:44 PM
Hey guys,

Turns out I'm visiting my parents in Oregon next week, and I might be able to sneak out for a few hours on Monday the 28th out of Newport (early morning). Anybody care to join me and show me a spot or two??

Dave Ness

ApneaVu
03-26-2005, 01:08 PM
I have to work but I can tell you where to go. First thing is to watch the tide (http://hmsc.oregonstate.edu/weather/tides/tides.html). High tide is at 203 pm so be in the water by 1 is the lastest. This will give you a couple of hours of calm diving. After that it could be fun.
THe jetty is on the south size of the Newport bridge on the ocean side. Just find the harbor and head out toward sea along the road. You will pass a dive shop/foodmart. Park on the grassy spot next to some old sheds.
In the water:
Watch the boat traffic. THere are 5 jetties (fingers) and the boat fishers go there too. You go to the one that vacant. It was not a problem the last two time. I would try the jetty that is visible from the surface. You will see some rocks sticking out of the water maybe 20 yrds out. Bring a flash light for the dive to look in holes. Expect good size rockfish and lings. THere are two kinds of rock fish that is illoegal to spear: yellow eyes and red I beleive. Check the regulation (as always). Good luck, And give us a report after your dive.

Dave Ness
04-01-2005, 04:54 PM
thanks for the info, I appreciate it.

Unfortunately, I didn't get a chance to get out due to the nasty weather that I brought up from Southern California.

Maybe next time

Dave Ness