PDA

View Full Version : Duramax Problem

Prater
03-27-2005, 11:52 PM
2003 Duramax 6.6 3500 Chevrolet

I just finished a 4000 mile round trip and about 3600 miles into it I lost power on the interstate. The check engine light came on and I did a diag through Onstar. They reported a loss of fuel pressure. I drove at about 65mph for another hour until I reached my stop for the night, anything above that and it dropped power. After it sat for about thirty minutes the light went away it it drove fine until about 3900 miles. Then it acted the same way. Both times I was in a rain storm, but visual inspection did not show any water around the electronics. I did fill up with cheaper diesel at a truck stop just before the problem. I just purchased a new fuel filter and will get it on tomorrow. Has anyone experienced a simular problem, or does it sound like my fuel filter is clogged?? The truck has around 70xxx miles. I also noticed smoke coming from the exhaust as I come to a stop now, think maybe a fuel injector is also stuck open??

Thanks in advance for suggestions...

WonderBoy
03-28-2005, 12:09 AM
The solution to your problem is obvious, I'm just sorry you didn't realize it before now.

...FORD...

Prater
03-28-2005, 12:14 AM
I would actually like inteligent help,

Thanks

Rig Magician
03-28-2005, 04:30 AM
Yes F, Fix
O, OR
R, Repair
D, Daily.
Prater,
I would say the fuel filter is clogged. change that and see what happens.

WreckDiver
03-28-2005, 05:22 AM
Prater, I will get you an inteligent answer in a little while. They all have problems (trucks) luck of the draw when you get yours, did the onstar monkeys give you a code to go with that light? if not call them back and get it. Try not to spend much money on it most of that stuff is covered under warranty.

Don B
03-28-2005, 06:05 AM
Prater what year is it? the earlier models had a problem with leaking injectors which allowed the fuel lines to get air locked and a loss of power in that cylinder. mine is a 2001, and suffered this at about 55000 miles. it could also leak diesel into the crank case and thin your oil. Have you noticed your oil pressure dropping off? Or it will leak fuel from the bottom of the engine and be spraed along the bottom of your truck.

If you have this problem GM will take care of it and they will extend your warranty to 200,000 miles as they did with mine. if you have any questions feel free to call. cell 504-453-0305.

Sean, my last truck was a Ford with a powerstroke, I now have a duramax with 160,000 miles, at 200,000, Ill change trucks. It will be another Duramax.:D

WreckDiver
03-28-2005, 08:29 AM
Replace the fuel filter, the code will clear its self in about a month. This is what our GM diesel tech told me.

Prater
03-28-2005, 12:40 PM
Bugged,

the code was P0087

No pooling of fuel under the truck, and the light is now off and the truck is running fine again. It will be this evening before i get a chance to change the filter.

Thanks for the suggestions..

gumshoe
03-28-2005, 01:02 PM
If you unplug the battery for about 10 minutes, the idiot lights will reset about 90% of the time - especially if you've changed the problem part.

Bugged,

the code was P0087

No pooling of fuel under the truck, and the light is now off and the truck is running fine again. It will be this evening before i get a chance to change the filter.

Thanks for the suggestions..

WreckDiver
03-28-2005, 01:04 PM
It has to act up for a certian amount of time sets a code then goes into back up mode where things like RPM are limited, its like a self protection mode.

CHECK YOUR ENGINE OIL NOW, fuel gets in it you could ruin that engine

Change the F filter and if necc, get the pressure tested.

Excerpt from service manual: DTC P0087
Circuit Description

The engine control module (ECM) monitors fuel rail pressure (FRP) using the FRP sensor. If the sensor indicates a pressure less than the commanded rail pressure plus a possible transitional overshoot, the ECM will set DTC P0087 for fuel rail pressure too low.
Conditions for Running the DTC

* DTCs P0192, P0193, or P0641 are not set.
* The ignition is ON.

Conditions for Setting the DTC

The actual FRP is less than 0.0 MPa at 0-400 RPM.

OR

The actual FRP is less than 22.5 MPa at more than 600 RPM.
Action Taken When the DTC Sets

* The control module illuminates the malfunction indicator lamp (MIL) when the diagnostic runs and fails.
* The control module records the operating conditions at the time the diagnostic fails. The control module stores this information in the Freeze Frame/Failure Records.
* The ECM will limit fuel injection.

Conditions for Clearing the MIL/DTC
• The control module turns OFF the malfunction indicator lamp (MIL) after 3 consecutive ignition cycles that the diagnostic runs and does not fail.
• A current DTC, Last Test Failed, clears when the diagnostic runs and passes.
• A history DTC clears after 40 consecutive warm-up cycles, if no failures are reported by this or any other emission related diagnostic.
• Clear the MIL and the DTC with a scan tool.
Diagnostic Aids

A restricted fuel supply line may cause DTCs P0087

spearo69
03-28-2005, 02:22 PM
I found this on another forum, seems to be a recall:
Service Engine Soon (SES) Light, P0087, P0093, P1093, Low Power, No Start, Hard Start, Fuel in Crankcase (replace All Injectors - New Strategy for High Fuel Return Rates) #04-06-04-007A - (04/07/2004)
Service Engine Soon (SES) Light, P0087, P0093, P1093, Low Power, No Start, Hard Start, Fuel in Crankcase (Replace All Injectors -- New Strategy for High Fuel Return Rates)
2001-2004 Chevrolet Silverado

2003-2004 Chevrolet Kodiak C4500/C5500 Series

2001-2004 GMC Sierra

2003-2004 GMC Topkick C4500/C5500 Series

with 6.6L Duramax™ Diesel Engine (VIN 1 -- RPO LB7)

This bulletin is being revised to clarify the Warranty Parts Center Information. Please discard Corporate Bulletin Number 04-06-04-007 (Section 06 - Engine).

Important
Before the technician begins diagnostics and repair, be sure to follow the guidelines in Corporate Service Bulletin 03-06-04-036 to avoid fuel system contamination.

Important:
'GM of Canada' dealers are required to contact the GM Technical Assistance Centre (TAC) to review the completed diagnostic worksheet and obtain a case number prior to injector replacement.

Condition
Some owners may comment on the Service Engine Soon light becoming illuminated. Upon investigation, the technician will find DTCs P0087, P0093 or P1093. Additional customer comments may include a lack of power, a fuel smell on the oil dipstick, fuel in the engine oil, fuel coming out of the crankcase breather, the engine cranks but does not run, or a hard start condition. This condition will not cause an engine misfire. Do not apply this bulletin to any diagnostic other than what is identified in the chart below.

Cause
The fuel injectors have internal conditions that may cause them to return an excessive quantity of fuel to the tank, as well as leak fuel into the crankcase. Due to the return flow and/or leakage, the fuel injection pump may not be able to build up adequate fuel rail pressure.

Correction

Important
Before the technician begins diagnostics and repair, be sure to follow the guidelines in Corporate Service Bulletin 03-06-04-036 to avoid fuel system contamination.

Follow current diagnostics for the condition the vehicle is experiencing, then reference the table below. If the diagnostics lead to Fuel System Diagnosis - High Pressure Side, follow the diagnostic until the Fuel Injector Return Flow is measured at each cylinder bank return connection (bank to bank).

Prater
03-28-2005, 04:58 PM
Ok,

I can not smell any fuel in the oil. I will be taking it to the dealer just to make sure though later this week.

thanks for the help.

Prater
03-28-2005, 11:04 PM
I am stupid or something...I can not get the darn filter spun off the truck. One thing is I can not get a good grip or any tool on it with the space available. Do you have to bleed of the pressure or something? I gave up after an hour and a half. I just de-winterized my boat to keep me in a good mood...

spearo69
03-29-2005, 09:27 AM
On my truck i sometimes need to remove the gas cap. Try it out and let me know.

WreckDiver
03-29-2005, 09:58 AM
Fuel Filter Replacement

If you want to change the fuel filter yourself, here's how to do it:

Caution: Diesel fuel is flammable. It could start a fire if something ignites it, and you could be burned. Do not let it get on hot engine parts, and keep matches or other ignition sources away.

First, drain any water from the filter following the procedure for draining water listed previously.

Your vehicle's engine should be off until the end of this procedure.

The fuel filter is located in the engine compartment on the passenger's side of the vehicle, or on the driver's side frame rail in front of the fuel tank.

1. Apply the parking brake.

Object Number: 811823 Size: A3
Click here for detailed picture of above image.
2. Unplug the water sensor wire connected to the fuel filter and unscrew the filter element.
3. Remove the filter element. If there is any dirt on the filter sealing surface, clean it off. Remove and reuse the water sensor float switch located on the bottom of the fuel filter.
4. Install the new filter element.
5. Reinstall and tighten the filter container and reconnect the water sensor wire to the filter.
6. Use the fuel filter priming procedure earlier in this section to prime the fuel filter.
7. Tighten the air bleed valve by turning it clockwise until hand tight.
8. Start your engine and let it idle for five minutes. Check your fuel filter and air bleed valve for leaks.
9. Reset the fuel filter monitor. See

Prater
03-29-2005, 12:09 PM
Bugged,

thanks I followed that outline from my manual. Last owner must have really torqued it on there...I will have to wait a couple of days before i can get back to it.

Prater
03-30-2005, 05:20 PM
I dropped it off this morning at the dealer. They were sure it was the injectors, but it will be tomorrow before I know anything...

Md Spear
03-31-2005, 03:45 PM
Prater...... for that fuel filter use a big truck oil filter wrench. Its the next size up from the large auto filter wrench,get the articulating kind , it slips on fuel filter , and you can do work from top, leaning on fender. 10 minutes of work.

Prater
03-31-2005, 08:43 PM
I just let the dealer take care of it. They are replacing all the injectors and changing the oil also. I will get me a filter wrench to fit it for next time.

scottb33
03-31-2005, 09:18 PM
Bugged,

Hey is that a guy in your avatar? I had to look twice, please tell me it's a woman?