PDA

View Full Version : Processing / cutting out the clips I want from a ton of diving videos

lordyaussie
11-14-2013, 06:16 PM
What’s the best way to process lots of large video files into heaps of small clips with exactly the same high quality. Cleaning out my hard drive and starting on the 200gb of gopro footage.
Its a ton of videos each consisting of a whole lot of nothing and a few little bits I want to save.

The gopro Cineform is a good program but the manual task of writing down the video and the times I want is so repetitive there has got to be some kind of program that can do it straight from that manual input, it doesn’t even have to reformat the files, just cut the part I want straight from the ‘folder and times’ I specify. Very simple program but where is it??
Don’t want to do any colour correction now, but will do later when I pick clips for a video so I need the same format the videos came in.
It looks as though Cineform does'nt offer that same format.. but rather processes them into something else.

I've already spent a day on it copying down the videos and times.... so you can understand how much I need this time saving program.
Please any help
Sam

SpearMax
11-14-2013, 09:00 PM
This may not be as easy as you think it should be. Here is a thought. Instead of spending countless hours doing this. Assign a reasonable hourly rate to your time and weigh that against buying a $175 or so Toshiba 3 terrabyte drive at office Depot with a fast USB 3 cable assuming your machine had USB 3.

Might be better storage in the long run.

frankt
11-14-2013, 10:33 PM
on my play station 3 is easiest way i found to save and edit footage from my go pro 3 black

SpearMax
11-14-2013, 10:47 PM
Here is a cheap alternative I just found:

http://www.muvee.com/en/products/turbo_video_cutter_software#.UoWY4fmsim4

Cut your GoPro Action Cam videos instantly. No need for video conversion, ZERO Quality Loss.

This is the world's fastest video trimming app optimized for cutting HD videos.

Cuts H264 videos from GoPro Hero, Hero2 and the new Hero 3 at upto 4K resolution.

Also supports the Sony Action Cam.

Cut multiple clips in a snap.

Post directly to Facebook and YouTube.

lordyaussie
11-15-2013, 12:50 AM
Thankyou very much guys for your quick replies, still working on Cineform atm (does it cause anyone else’s computer to crash sometimes?) and also found something else which is handy from another thread ‘Xilisoft Video editor/cutter 2’.
Xilisoft – quickly makes cuts from videos, type in mins:secs of cut in and outs, previewing performance not as good as Cineform but does come into its own in some cases. Outputs the same file/s as the original :) .

I’ve finally made up a good description of what I (and possibly everyone) really need....

I want to write up a table of data, 5 columbs, X amount of rows for X amount of clips I want
eg
No................Original video directory.................Trim in..........Trim out......................Save as whole video
1........../55spearingbridge/GOPRO0001.Mp4..........5:23..............6:44..... .................................A
2........../55spearingbridge/GOPRO0001.Mp4..........3:03..............4:12..... .................................A
3........../55spearingbridge/GOPRO0003.Mp4..........7:26..............9:01..... .................................A
4........../527Seaway/GOPRO0001.Mp4.................5:58..............8: 36......................................B

So I want to put this into a program and have it trim the files in the right places, join 1,2 and 3 together(in that order) and output it as a new file the same quality/format as the original.
I think it will be alot faster than all the similar programs out there, which are good for moving making... but not for thinning out hours of bulk footage.

I have an empty 1TB hard drive but still I’d like to thin out the videos, not only because of size but also because I can’t enjoy my footage because I need to find the good parts all the time.

Muvee looks good too, and it must be to compete with Cineform as a gopro product, definitely on my list to tryout. Thankyou SpearMax.

Playstation 3 sounds pretty rad Frankt, a mate has one I’ll have to mention it to him for his benift. Nice profile pic too.
Thanks all, anyone else have suggestions?