PDA

View Full Version : WANTED: 3 spearos to split travel costs

Tewills
02-10-2014, 10:36 PM
Well, all this snow and 40deg weather is making me edgy!

Who wants to go to Maui for a few days of spearfishing? I'm thinking shoulder season (mid-April), five days, four days of diving, two being bluewater. Got your attention? Having made this trip a couple times now, I have it down pretty well. Here are some general estimates; bear in mind this is a Spartan adventure - with low cost in mind. Accommodations are not at the Grand Wailea, and we're not eating at Kimos every night. It's mainly for one thing - giving the Hawaiian fishes a little PNW whatfer!

Airfare - $750
Condo - $170 (total per person, not per night, splitting a 2-bedroom condo)
Jeep - $155 (total per person, need a JEEP to get to some dive spots)

We'd hit Costco at the airport for staples, eat our catch everyday, I think we could get away with pitching in about $100 towards community food and drink per person. Condo would have a full kitchen, generally complete with cooking supplies and such. The resorts also have community BBQs.

Reef diving will be guided by yours truly, and the Bluewater trips will be (yet to be confirmed) $150 per person, per trip. We keep the fish, none of that boat Captain nonsense you deal with on a H&L charter. All gear can be provided on the boat trips, so don't sweat it if you don't have a bluewater gun, bungee etc. Just pack your freedive gear, 3-5mm suit, GoPro and you're golden. I'll be taking two reef guns, so that's all we really need for buddy diving. But feel free to bring whatever you want.

So in total, about $1500 per person for the 5-day excursion.

Now for some fine print; We'll be buddy diving, so interested spearos need to be Certified AIDA or Fii - sorry no exceptions on this. Once we get our foursome together, we'll coordinate to pick the specific dates. I'll coordinate all the reservations for the condo, boat trips, Jeep, and will ask you for a deposit when the time comes.

This trip is open to the first three divers only. WHO'S IN?

Nwsportsman
02-10-2014, 11:43 PM
O man! Thats what im talking about! ... unfortunately I need some dental work :(

Tewills
02-11-2014, 12:23 AM
O man! Thats what im talking about! ... unfortunately I need some dental work :(

I have a pair of pliers you can borrow :)

Blazing07
02-11-2014, 02:12 AM
That sounds like a bad ass trip!

No I'm Josh
02-12-2014, 11:55 PM
It's not the desire that's lacking Todd. Later in the year, I'm hoping nothing will be lacking at all. Be interesting to price out a Mex trip of similar duration.

Nwsportsman
02-13-2014, 12:32 AM
I was looking at trips to Catalina Island around October. Yellow tail, halibut, WSB, and the start of spiny lobster season ..flights that time of year are very reasonable... Im itching for warmer water...
:beer:

tomo
02-13-2014, 02:39 PM
Scuse me for cutting in,
But for those unable to head out with Todd, I will be putting together a day at Barview and only be charging about HALF what that Hawaii foolin' around is going to run you.

kehloken
02-14-2014, 10:06 AM
Tomo there is still going to be some on here left to stay, as not all are certified free divers.

Just curios todd why you have to be FII or AIDA, the new member that is a SSI free dive instructor would not be eligible. What is your reasoning behind this?

Kyle M
02-17-2014, 02:33 PM
Sounds wonderful Todd. I wish I could swing two trips to Hawaii this year, but I'll have to settle for the one I have scheduled in September. Tom, I'll take you up on the local alternative. Will $20 in gas money do? :cowboy:

tomo
02-17-2014, 02:42 PM
Sounds wonderful Todd. I wish I could swing two trips to Hawaii this year, but I'll have to settle for the one I have scheduled in September. Tom, I'll take you up on the local alternative. Will $20 in gas money do? :cowboy:

Gosh , Kyle,
Twenty bucks puts you at the head of the line, and 1st class treatment all the way.

kehloken
03-01-2014, 07:40 AM
Tewills Although you never answered why a certain Cert agency, I see you are best to stay in a group as 8 shark attacks have the snorkelers out of the water in Maui.

So be very aware and careful and get some great video of these sharks if you can.

http://abcnews.go.com/Travel/shark-attacks-bite-hawaii-tourism/story?id=21417074

Nwsportsman
03-01-2014, 12:25 PM
I guess the organic fish oil based sunscreen was a bad idea...

tomo
03-01-2014, 02:39 PM
I guess the organic fish oil based sunscreen was a bad idea...

:thumps::thumps::thumps:

kehloken
03-01-2014, 05:45 PM
Unless your a spearfishermen and use it as chum scent.

Jeff_D
03-01-2014, 09:53 PM
I was there in early December when a kayak fisherman was bitten and later died. It didn't keep me out of the water but it makes you wary. Olowalu has beware of sharks signs...that beach might as well be radioactive. It is one of the easiest shore dive sites on Maui so that's where I spent most of my time. Big plus...no crowds!