PDA

View Full Version : PNW Meetup

No I'm Josh
03-04-2014, 08:38 PM
Fellow spearos and speara,
I think we are long over-due for a meetup. I'd like to propose Barview Campground and I'd like to get some feedback as to when might be a good time that is during the week? If a weekend is unanimous that is fine and I wish everyone a great time. My weekends are tied up with work so I'm hoping that we can find a holiday that everyone is free for. Whadday'all say? Oh and I'd personally like to make it an over-nighter. Lot's of room there and if we get it early season it won't be crowded.

Jeff_D
03-04-2014, 09:49 PM
April 15th tides look good. End of April look good too. May 15th maybe. I have a 26' travel trailer people could crash in if the weather turned bad...or when the weather turns bad. I like Josh's idea of during the week. Makes me feel like I'm playing hookie.

JuanBreath
03-04-2014, 10:11 PM
I agree! Great idea. Almost needs to be somewhat short notice. Makes it all the better. I'm in. Oregon coast on winter can be amazing.

Kyle M
03-04-2014, 10:27 PM
I'm in if we can settle on a date that works. I'm booked the week of 4/14, but have 5/15 & 5/16 open. I'll block them out for now and will check other dates if needed. Thanks for the idea Josh!

No I'm Josh
03-05-2014, 10:37 AM
Spring break is the 24th to the 28th of this month. What do you guys think of trying to make it happen during that time? That way we could be sure to have any school teachers in on the fun.

Kyle M
03-05-2014, 01:16 PM
Sounds good. I can make it if we avoid that Wednesday.

No I'm Josh
03-05-2014, 02:59 PM
Since no one else is weighing in here let's set the dates at 24th and 25th March. Barview campground, overnighter for anyone who can swing it. Bring your families, there will plenty of room and good times for everyone!

Jeff_D
03-05-2014, 03:17 PM
I'll be there that weekend. Let me see if I can stay a couple more days.

North Star
03-05-2014, 03:55 PM
24th and 25th work for me. Kathy and I will be there.

No I'm Josh
03-05-2014, 05:45 PM
Alright! Glad to hear it Max and Jeff! Incidentally, if memory serves me right, our first PNW meetup was also on March 24th. I tried to go back into the spearboard archives but couldn't find it for the life of me.

Darmes
03-05-2014, 06:59 PM
I'll be there starting on the 25th and lasting out the week. I'll see what I can do about getting out there a day earlier! Sounds like fun!

MikePierce170
03-05-2014, 08:07 PM
I'll be there if it doesn't interfere with a fight. I'm sure this goes without saying but we are going to be diving right?

cchen
03-05-2014, 08:26 PM
I'll be there if it doesn't interfere with a fight. I'm sure this goes without saying but we are going to be diving right?

I thought we would just hold hands and talk about how fish have feelings around the campfire this time?

I'm gonna try to make it as well! Girlfriend should be coming as well!

Look forward to diving with everyone!

searun
03-05-2014, 10:04 PM
Spring break is the 24th to the 28th of this month. What do you guys think of trying to make it happen during that time? That way we could be sure to have any school teachers in on the fun.

Man I wish... My district doesn't have spring break until April 14-18. Not too upset though because it coincides with both the Washington ling opener and a great time to be hitting Springers on the Columbia.

We should organize something closer for the Washington boys.

SR1

Kyle M
03-05-2014, 10:07 PM
See you all there! I assume reservations at the campground are not needed this time of year?

tomo
03-05-2014, 10:13 PM
Good evening,
It all sounds good, so I will be a stick in the low tide muck and mention that the tides don't look agreeable on those dates...

Darmes
03-05-2014, 10:35 PM
I knew there was a reason I hadn't reserved a site for the Monday!

tomo
03-05-2014, 10:41 PM
I knew there was a reason I hadn't reserved a site for the Monday!

Well,
Saturday and Sunday aren't too choice either. However, keep in mind that this is coming from an old fogie who considers high slack and reasonable daylight essential to diving good ol' Barview.

No I'm Josh
03-05-2014, 11:00 PM
Tom, I think getting the tide to cooperate as well might be a bit too much. For my organizational ambitions anyway.
Kyle, I think it would be good to reserve asap. Dan, can you tell us where you'll be so we can all reserve around it? I assume you know where the choice spots are being the seasoned Barviewian that you are.
Sean, if you guys get something together up your way and it falls during the weekday, I'd love to adventure up and join y'all. I'm sure we could get a caravan going.

Kyle M
03-05-2014, 11:08 PM
Thurs and Friday the tides are high at 10:00am and 11:00am. Mon/Tue it's 6:25am and 7:40 am, so I actually vote to move it to Th/Fri if folks are willing.

quattroluvr
03-05-2014, 11:19 PM
Thanks for initiating Josh. I've got out of town family visiting around then, but they might be leaving in time for me to make the 2nd day (25th), and maybe if someone else (like Dan indicated) is staying 26th or later... there's a good chance I can stay longer.
TH/FRI (and can definitely stay through the weekend) is much better for me, (better tides as Kyle points out. I have a friend that has a place in Rockaway might be able to get a free place for 2-3 guys total. Also another friend has a place in Newport.)

Got my Riffe... shot a speargun for the 1st time today!... Look for a post and a pic of my prey :-). http://www.spearboard.com/showthread.php?p=1928639#post1928639
FII class on Sunday. (Josh predicts I'll leave scuba behind once i get the freedive bug.)
Leigh (newbie spearo)

Darmes
03-05-2014, 11:45 PM
It sounds like I could potentially add Monday if that is the day. I am a proud new owner of a tent trailer so we (wife, one year old, and at least one st bernard) are staying in site 65 which is on the road side closest to the jetty. There are tent sites right across the road. Knowing my company you can reserve accordingly... The st bernard is usually quiet... I make no guaranties about the other two!

Jeff_D
03-06-2014, 12:43 AM
My wife's birthday is the 28th...she would murder me if I missed it.

North Star
03-06-2014, 01:42 AM
Thurs and Friday the tides are high at 10:00am and 11:00am. Mon/Tue it's 6:25am and 7:40 am, so I actually vote to move it to Th/Fri if folks are willing.

I am willing. Josh, make an executive decision about this. Tide matters.

North Star
03-06-2014, 01:43 AM
My wife's birthday is the 28th...she would murder me if I missed it.

Bring your wife and the cake - we will help her celebrate (and help eat the cake too!)

Jeff_D
03-06-2014, 08:33 AM
I got her Cirque Du Soleil tickets as a gift. I have to be there.

LittleGoat
03-06-2014, 09:57 AM
I'm in a similar conundrum as Jeff. While my wife's birthday is mid month, we are celebrating at the end with family. I can't do mid week because of server patching. Let us know how it goes!

No I'm Josh
03-06-2014, 12:40 PM
Like Max said, tide matters. Let's go with Thursday27th/Friday28th.
Jeff and Jarom, that's makes two days and one night we are talking about so there would be no reason to miss important events, especially if it was on the 28th. I definitely plan to be home by late afternoon on the 28th. Jarom maybe you could just cruise out for a day trip?

As for camping, let's all get as close to Dan and co in campground as possible. Like he said, that's site 65. Those are the sites in the pines if I remember correctly, definitely my favorite part of the campground.

LittleGoat
03-06-2014, 05:06 PM
Jeff and Jarom, that's makes two days and one night we are talking about so there would be no reason to miss important events, especially if it was on the 28th. I definitely plan to be home by late afternoon on the 28th. Jarom maybe you could just cruise out for a day trip?

As for camping, let's all get as close to Dan and co in campground as possible. Like he said, that's site 65. Those are the sites in the pines if I remember correctly, definitely my favorite part of the campground.

I won't be able to make it at all, for another reason than what I originally thought. Training for a new system at work finally came through (two months with no word) for that week. I'll be out of town all week for training. Oh well. Maybe next year?

North Star
03-06-2014, 05:12 PM

Josh - do you have contact info for the campground to make reservations? Better yet, reserve a site for me when you reserve yours. We have a tent.

No I'm Josh
03-06-2014, 06:37 PM
Just tried to call to reserve and got their voicemail. The number is (503)322-3522. This copied from the website:

BLUE Site Marker :
Winter Base Rate $19/night. Allows one Tent and one Vehicle (one RV may be substituted for the vehicle for an additional $5 per night). Twoextra Tents may be added to the site for $7each per night, plus one extra Vehicle may be added to the site for $5 per night. Blue Tent sites will provide for 3 each 10’ x 10’ tent areas. Campsite limit is 12 people.

Looks like sites to book will be 54 and everything between 75-80 or so. Rain or shine, I hope everyone is ready to have a great time!

OregonProDiver
03-06-2014, 09:11 PM
I'm out.

I'm in Vegas that week. Damn

Slay em and fillet em though :)

Jeff_D
03-06-2014, 09:53 PM
I'll be there...just got to leave Friday morning.

LAURANCE
03-07-2014, 12:39 AM

X2 .... thurs the 25th works better for me

cchen
03-07-2014, 03:38 AM
Bummer, don't think I can make it out Thursday. Might be able to swing by friday morning...

Either way, have fun out there!:toast:

tomo
03-07-2014, 08:04 AM
Thursday afternoon's low tide will be a good one for gathering shellfish in the bay or rocky shore a little further south.

quattroluvr
03-07-2014, 09:18 AM
TH/FRI better days for me, so looks good, SAT/SUN is available too as my wife works that wknd 2-12's. I'd want to add a tent/fee to a site if someone gets one, or I can get a site and open it up to other tents. Suggest posting if you have a site and how many tents slots you have available if desired.

barview: http://www.co.tillamook.or.us/gov/parks/Documents/Barview%203%20page%20map%20for%20County%20webpage% 20updated%20Oct%202013.pdf

Other county facilities: http://www.co.tillamook.or.us/gov/parks/Campgrounds%20and%20Day%20Use%20and%20Boat%20Launc hes%20Map.pdf

Cheers,
Leigh

No I'm Josh
03-07-2014, 01:48 PM
Joe and Cliff, sorry to hear that. Laurance great to hear that you'll make it! It's been ages. Thursday is the 27th.
I'm reserved for campground site #13 Thursday night. Dan's site is a hook-up one so any of you that are planning on trailer'ing it, the whole row after him is empty. Sites 1-13 are in the trees on the left side of the road when you drive through the campground.
Each site can take three tents. Mine is full for the moment.
Check-in time is 3:30 and check-out time is 1:30.
Anyone have a contact for Lewis (LJSargeant)? Be good to see him too.

Jeff_D
03-07-2014, 01:50 PM
Josh...you snaked my favorited site!

No I'm Josh
03-07-2014, 01:57 PM
Crumbs to the slackers Jeff. See you there!

Jeff_D
03-07-2014, 02:47 PM
:) I ended up with a trailer site next to someone, but I'm not sure who he is.

North Star
03-07-2014, 06:51 PM

I have his contact info. I will get hold of him and see if he can go.

Darmes
03-07-2014, 11:07 PM
:) I ended up with a trailer site next to someone, but I'm not sure who he is.

That might be me! Nice to meet you neighbor.

Jeff_D
03-08-2014, 08:34 AM
I will be in site 66.

Kyle M
03-08-2014, 01:03 PM
OK, I finally connected with the reservation folks. I'm in Q12, right near Josh's site. Anyone else looking to set up their tent is welcome to share my site. Also, I have room for one more in my truck, leaving Portland early Thurs to catch that morning high tide. See you all there!

quattroluvr
03-08-2014, 02:57 PM
Hey Max, I'd like to sign up for a tent slot in Q12. OK? (and contribute to site fee of course.)

(Jeff, thanks for nice offer of tent slot, but I'd rather be in the tree/tent area closer to showers and the bay, than in the RV area.)

Jeff_D
03-08-2014, 03:39 PM
I would be in the trees but Q13 is the only one, that I know of, that has a driveway long enough for my trailer. (Josh is to blame) :)

quattroluvr
03-08-2014, 03:49 PM
Jeff - I'll come visit you in RV-town, armed with Norwegian jokes instead of spears ;-)
Leigh

Navanax
03-08-2014, 11:11 PM
Sorry I will miss the fun. Right now scheduled to be in Montreal for work that week. If something changes I'll try to make it.
Ken

Kyle M
03-08-2014, 11:44 PM
Leigh, I'm the one at Q12, and yes you're welcome to pitch there. Looking forward to meeting you.

No I'm Josh
03-08-2014, 11:47 PM
Ken we'll be sad to miss you.
Never did tell you that my campaign here to name our UWHockey team the Oregon Navanax did not come to fruition. Pfff, no vision.

North Star
03-09-2014, 12:59 AM
Hey Max, I'd like to sign up for a tent slot in Q12. OK? (and contribute to site fee of course.)

(Jeff, thanks for nice offer of tent slot, but I'd rather be in the tree/tent area closer to showers and the bay, than in the RV area.)

Leigh - I am staying in Josh's tent site; I do not have one of my own. I think you need to contact Kyle. I am sure that he is disappointed, and I am flattered, that you would confuse him with me.:D

Kyle M
03-09-2014, 10:46 AM
On the contrary Max. I was thinking: "Wow, I'm in the same League as Max?!?, cool!"

JuanBreath
03-09-2014, 11:27 AM
I'm confused. Are we all staying in Q or V area?

Kyle M
03-09-2014, 02:16 PM
They told me that a guy named Josh was in Q13, so I went with Q12. Maybe it's a different Josh?

LAURANCE
03-09-2014, 07:47 PM
Joe and Cliff, sorry to hear that. Laurance great to hear that you'll make it! It's been ages. Thursday is the 27th.
I'm reserved for campground site #13 Thursday night. Dan's site is a hook-up one so any of you that are planning on trailer'ing it, the whole row after him is empty. Sites 1-13 are in the trees on the left side of the road when you drive through the campground.
Each site can take three tents. Mine is full for the moment.
Check-in time is 3:30 and check-out time is 1:30.

Duh....:scratch:I was looking at the calender wrong. I'll get a hold of Lewis, his work schedule is weird though.

North Star
03-09-2014, 09:58 PM
Duh....:scratch:I was looking at the calender wrong. I'll get a hold of Lewis, his work schedule is weird though.

I did contact him, and he did reply, and was going to see if he could make it based on his work schedule.

Darmes
03-09-2014, 11:13 PM
Derailing slightly too personal safety considerations... As most of you know I am far more proficient on scuba than free, but I am excited for the opportunity to not give Josh a chance to rib me about shooting ling on scuba. Before this gathering was scheduled I was planning on a week of harvesting on scuba to replenish the freezer. I know our region is not prone to some of the things others are, but as a precaution I will say that I have already extensively used the search function on the safety of mixing free diving and scuba. My plan as of right now is to keep things shallow on Wednesday (still on scuba) so that I get a complete desaturation before Thursday/Friday so that I can have you all laugh at me while I attempt to free dive with you. I know a lot of you have experience in both so let me know if this is a foolish plan.

longhair
03-10-2014, 12:07 AM
Hey Josh its Swick. I think that I can make it!!! I'll most likely be bringing my girls so I need to figure out logistics of that but I should be able to go! I'm stoked to get out there.

quattroluvr
03-10-2014, 12:10 AM
Hi Max, <<< I meant Kyle
Thanks so much for your offer of a tent slot at Q12... However, Jeff and I both took Ian's FII level 1 freediving class today, and in the course of conversation he offered a slot _inside_ his lux trailer, so that's my final choice (no more moving around!).
Being a newbie (inefficient) diver, having a lux place to rest sounds good.
And looking forward to meeting you too :-)
Leigh

No I'm Josh
03-10-2014, 12:11 AM
Juanbreath, the Q area and Kyle there's only one Josh (in my own world anyway :D).

longhair
03-10-2014, 12:19 AM
well after finishing reading the thread and seeing the dates changed to th/Friday. I still can make but wont have my girls. I don't have a tent site reserved is there room in your spot for a small tent or I could always crash in my truck.

Kyle M
03-10-2014, 01:06 AM
Longhair, it looks like my site has room for you.

North Star
03-10-2014, 03:53 PM
Derailing slightly too personal safety considerations... As most of you know I am far more proficient on scuba than free, but I am excited for the opportunity to not give Josh a chance to rib me about shooting ling on scuba. Before this gathering was scheduled I was planning on a week of harvesting on scuba to replenish the freezer. I know our region is not prone to some of the things others are, but as a precaution I will say that I have already extensively used the search function on the safety of mixing free diving and scuba. My plan as of right now is to keep things shallow on Wednesday (still on scuba) so that I get a complete desaturation before Thursday/Friday so that I can have you all laugh at me while I attempt to free dive with you. I know a lot of you have experience in both so let me know if this is a foolish plan.

Dan, thats all good. 24 hours is enough of a break between scuba and free diving. Nobody is going to laugh at you. We have all been there. You will do great.

tomo
03-10-2014, 06:43 PM
And. Dan,
There will be a few of us who will be able to say " Oh, yeah, I met Dan before he was addicted to free diving "

Darmes
03-10-2014, 07:32 PM
And. Dan,
There will be a few of us who will be able to say " Oh, yeah, I met Dan before he was addicted to free diving "

I still remember first meeting Tom on the jetty gearing up for a scuba dive!:eek:

Nwsportsman
03-11-2014, 12:01 AM
There is no way I can camp in the middle of the week right now. There are just too many things coming up, but missing a meeting like this would be the huge bummer...

I'm off work at 3 pm. Anyone want to carpool over from Portland to join the Party just for the evening? I could bring ceviche makings or?...

Hey Josh its Swick. I think that I can make it!!! I'll most likely be bringing my girls so I need to figure out logistics of that but I should be able to go! I'm stoked to get out there.

HOLY shit man! My favorite red neck hippy has joined Spearboard! Its about time! You should introduce yourself Mark. :thumps:

tomo
03-11-2014, 12:51 PM
Good morning on this lovely day,
It probably wouldn't interfere with other activities on this outing if anyone having "excess" gear goodies brought them along for a Barview swap meet. I could rent a U-Haul and bring it all...

North Star
03-11-2014, 01:20 PM
Good morning on this lovely day,
It probably wouldn't interfere with other activities on this outing if anyone having "excess" gear goodies brought them along for a Barview swap meet. I could rent a U-Haul and bring it all...

Sounds like a good idea. I was wanting to get one of your "barview bottom finders." I have a vacant place on my forehead to install it.

JuanBreath
03-12-2014, 12:40 PM
Just picked up Q11. Considering bringing down a Zodiak. Anybody else have a boaters license/life jacket?

Jeff_D
03-12-2014, 02:37 PM
I have all of the above. I was also considering bringing my Bombard SIB.

North Star
03-12-2014, 03:22 PM
Just picked up Q11. Considering bringing down a Zodiak. Anybody else have a boaters license/life jacket?

I have both.

No I'm Josh
03-12-2014, 03:23 PM
Just got back on ol' Spearboard for the first time in a few days. Man o man this is going to be blast!
Mark so stoked you'll be joining us! Kyle, Mark is a underwater hockey maestro and basically doesn't require breathing. Mark, Kyle does 4 minute breath holds like they were nothin'. Birds of feather!
Tom, great idea with the gear exchange. I'm in the market for a "bottom finder" as well. :D

Kyle M
03-12-2014, 03:56 PM
If the swell gets crazy I'll bring my tandem sit-on-top kayak and extra life jacket in case anyone wants to H&L fish or dig clams. Let's keep our options open, regardless of dive conditions.

Darmes
03-12-2014, 05:55 PM

I also have both

No I'm Josh
03-12-2014, 06:58 PM
Juanbreath I have a life jacket but have never even heard of or been asked for a boaters license. Is this a new thing or am I just out of the loop? Also, what's your real name again please? Tried to find the Real Name Please thread but it's buried too deep.

Darmes
03-12-2014, 08:23 PM
Juanbreath I have a life jacket but have never even heard of or been asked for a boaters license. Is this a new thing or am I just out of the loop? Also, what's your real name again please? Tried to find the Real Name Please thread but it's buried too deep.

They phased it in quite a while ago now. You can do the whole thing online.
http://www.boat-ed.com/oregon/?gclid=CMXdy6Ksjr0CFcWTfgodi0EA8g

JuanBreath
03-12-2014, 09:28 PM
Josh: I go by Henry or Brian. Long story. I'll bring boat. Rips around easily with four on board. A couple extra jackets wouldn't hurt. Will also bring big pot and burner for crab boil/fish fry. One more wouldn't hurt if we go big. Heads up on bringing firewood. They gouge you down there.

Kyle M
03-12-2014, 10:08 PM
So, are people planning to dive from boats? Maybe out near the end of the jetty? It's quite easy to just shore dive from the jetty itself.

JuanBreath
03-12-2014, 10:13 PM
Both. Boats will be fun to rip around to the other side/low tide adventures.

tomo
03-13-2014, 08:46 AM
Good morning,
While I am planning on attending this aquathon, I won't know for sure until a couple days ahead. BUT, if I do, I will use the ol' truck and bring down enough camp wood for all. Will confirm in plenty of time.

kehloken
03-13-2014, 10:25 AM
Through my Boater water insurance they give a free online course, print out the certificate, they show you the website to your state department is like $10 fee, pass it and you have your card for $10. it's also a pretty informative and great course. as soon as you're done you have a temporary card for 60 days.
Not thinking you guys need a lot for what you're doing but for the $200 year. if I need i can get towed have gas brought to me etc.

You do not need to be a member, all you do is give your email, password, and it's a go.

You need Windows 6 and above, but not Google Chrome or Mac Safari, to take the test. but you can do all of the sections of the study guide and quizzes on anything.

When you open this link and you look through it it'll put you to a beginning video and that explains everything.

http://www.boatus.org/onlinecourse/Washington.asp

Although your card does not go to every state, you can take all the states that you want that you Boat in.

LittleGoat
03-13-2014, 12:30 PM
So, my training got pushed back to April so I might be able to come after all. I would have to clear the expenses with SWMBO though. Is it going to only be free diving? I'm not much good, but I am willing to learn. I am comfortable on scuba though.

I was thinking of clamming too if people are down for it. I know of a good place on the spit that doesn't see much pressure that has some mighty gapers and tasty cockles.

Jeff_D
03-13-2014, 12:43 PM
Jarom. The offer still stands if you need sleeping arrangements.

quattroluvr
03-13-2014, 12:51 PM
Hi Jarom,
I'm a total newb to free diving and there will be other free-newbies there I'm pretty sure, so come join the fun. I just took my free-diving intro-pool class from Ian last Sunday. I'm also a veteran scuba diver and will be coming with both free and scuba gear (and my new Riffe gun). A few of us silly bubble-blowers may scuba on the Wed before the TH/FRI meetup (at least two of us tentatively plan to), and Sat and/or Sunday after the meetup, some people may stay at the coast for free or scuba. I plan on Saturday likely scuba, back to PDX Sat night. PM me your contact info if you want to coordinate scuba Wed or Sat. (I'm going to be really interested to see how Josh's prediction about the addictiveness of free-diving plays out :-)
Leigh

North Star
03-13-2014, 05:29 PM
As an aside, because it has been repeatedly brought up:

Both scuba diving and free diving in the PNW have their upsides and downsides. Both are equally valid. Both have their safety risks. Both can be a ton of fun, and both can kill you. Seems the diving community loses a lot more free divers than it does scuba divers.

Don't ever apologize for being a scuba diver. Many of us do both, based on conditions and many other factors. If you are not proficient in one or the other, then it is wise to become proficient at both. If you are weak on one, then work on the other, so you can swing either way based on the situation you are facing.

Here is a thread to read:

http://www.spearboard.com/showthread.php?t=148113

OK, back on topic.

quattroluvr
03-13-2014, 07:14 PM
Max, loved_ that post... maybe should be sticky status :-) That philosophy, and the welcome and advice I've received since joining the NW spearboard is really gratifying... Can't wait to meet the NW dive crew at Barview.
Leigh

LittleGoat
03-14-2014, 09:57 AM
Thanks for the input Max. Good advise as always. :notworthy

I still need to clear it with the Mrs. to make sure I'm not missing something I forgot about. Here's hoping I can finally make it to a get together!

I'll also bring my life jacket and clamming gear.

LittleGoat
03-17-2014, 09:49 AM
Bad news: I won't be going and My Mother-in-Law just found out on Friday that she has the Big-C. She meets with a surgeon this week and will most likely be in surgery next week. I won't be attending the meetup because I want to support my wife and Mother-in-Law in all of this (she lives with us). I would appreciate your prayers for her and her children.

North Star
03-17-2014, 03:29 PM
Bad news: I won't be going and My Mother-in-Law just found out on Friday that she has the Big-C. She meets with a surgeon this week and will most likely be in surgery next week. I won't be attending the meetup because I want to support my wife and Mother-in-Law in all of this (she lives with us). I would appreciate your prayers for her and her children.

Wow. So sorry to hear about your mother-in-law's cancer. That is sobering. I will definitely be praying for her and you and your wife.

No I'm Josh
03-17-2014, 06:38 PM
Very sorry to hear that Jarom. We'll miss you. My prayers are with all of you as well.

longhair
03-18-2014, 02:20 AM
All right! I am stoked to get some good diving in. I have a ton of extra gear. Wetsuits, polespears, guns, ect.. If anybody need extra. Josh I'm can't wait to get under the saltwater with you.

No I'm Josh
03-18-2014, 01:02 PM
Mark me too! Can I reserve one of your pole spears? Haven't assembled mine yet and it's looking like I'll be busy busy until the meet up. I'll be bringing a surfboard too hopefully.

Kyle M
03-18-2014, 02:36 PM
Very sorry to hear the news Jarom. My father is in chemotherapy right now. I'll be spending the first half of spring break with him. Prayers to you and your family.

Calvin
03-18-2014, 07:44 PM
Sounds fantastic! I'll be there!

tomo
03-19-2014, 12:50 PM
Good morning,
It was just confirmed that I have a big job on Thursday , but we plan on coming down late afternoon with a load of my "special reserve" firewood for all. Going to bring my tree gear, maybe get Max elevated...

quattroluvr
03-19-2014, 06:21 PM
FYI, A few things I'm bringing that may be useful for sharing.
Sand cart 200 lb capacity for hauling tanks/gear,
FoodSaver machine for vacuum packing filets (BYO material).

I'm so psyched for the meetup. Can't wait.

Leigh

cchen
03-19-2014, 08:28 PM
Sounds like there's a few of us that won't be able to make the morning dive...

(Still not sure if I'll be able to make it over) But...

Anyone have flashlights/want to try their hand at night diving? :thumps:

North Star
03-19-2014, 11:01 PM
Good morning,
It was just confirmed that I have a big job on Thursday , but we plan on coming down late afternoon with a load of my "special reserve" firewood for all. Going to bring my tree gear, maybe get Max elevated...

Cool. Love some pro instruction on tree climbing. Are there any trees on the coast big enough to climb? Seems all I see over there is wind blown scrub bushes that masquerade as trees.

North Star
03-19-2014, 11:02 PM
Sounds like there's a few of us that won't be able to make the morning dive...

(Still not sure if I'll be able to make it over) But...

Anyone have flashlights/want to try their hand at night diving? :thumps:

The only night diving I do is diving into my sleeping bag!

tomo
03-19-2014, 11:08 PM
Cool. Love some pro instruction on tree climbing. Are there any trees on the coast big enough to climb? Seems all I see over there is wind blown scrub bushes that masquerade as trees.

Hi Max,
You can learn a lot about climbing without leaving the ground, but those old campground pines have some perfect practice trees among them. My harness is very likely too small for you, but going to try to borrow a larger one as well.

North Star
03-20-2014, 12:10 AM
Hi Max,
You can learn a lot about climbing without leaving the ground, but those old campground pines have some perfect practice trees among them. My harness is very likely too small for you, but going to try to borrow a larger one as well.

Tom, I just recently bought some gear, so I will bring it. I really appreciate you teaching me!

tomo
03-20-2014, 12:19 AM
Tom, I just recently bought some gear, so I will bring it. I really appreciate you teaching me!

Well, how convenient! looking forward to it Max.

LittleGoat
03-20-2014, 09:23 AM

There are some decent sized Sitka Spruce at Oswald West. That would be where I would want to get a view.

quattroluvr
03-20-2014, 09:32 AM
I'm a rock climber (and occasional tree-limber :-). If someone needs a 34-37" ish harness I can bring one to lend. Also have Grigri, ascenders, locking biners, 11mm rope retired from climbing, etc. Let me know via PM.
Leigh

cchen
03-20-2014, 08:33 PM
Are we gonna climb stuff too?

I have a harness, grigri, atcs, rope, quickdraws......

tomo
03-20-2014, 10:25 PM
Are we gonna climb stuff too?

I have a harness, grigri, atcs, rope, quickdraws......

Hi Cliff,
Max has some trees, and in the past had spoke to me about getting into climbing. And since he was going to be here, with likely some free time, I figured this would be a good time for a little practice, along with any one else who wanted to give it a try. And it sounds like some experienced climbers in the group. For those who haven't tried it , it can be pretty awkward until you build some technique, just like free diving.

cchen
03-20-2014, 11:41 PM
I've never tried tree climbing, just rocks... Sounds like fun! Do we need special shoes or anything for it?

Jeff_D
03-21-2014, 12:11 AM
I climb poles for a living. I assume you aren't using gaffs on trees. Although I have seen some loggers using them.

tomo
03-21-2014, 08:41 AM
I climb poles for a living. I assume you aren't using gaffs on trees. Although I have seen some loggers using them.

Only use gaffs on removals, or when absolutely necessary. As far as shoes, Cliff, a young Swiss guy who won the championship a few years back said he preferred going barefoot. I go with light weight and ankle support.
AND, Josh must have some influence over the Magic Seaweed folks, 'cause, for the time being at least, they have reduced their Friday swell forecast by about half. That is a good thing...
Elena and I are going to pitch a tent in a room at the hotel there in Garibaldi.

longhair
03-21-2014, 11:35 AM
Hey does anybody have extra polespear bands. Mine are getting thin in spots. I picked up a band by triton for a 6' polespear but it seems a little light. And I don't think I have enough time to order more. Well maybe I do....

tomo
03-21-2014, 12:18 PM
Hey does anybody have extra polespear bands. Mine are getting thin in spots. I picked up a band by triton for a 6' polespear but it seems a little light. And I don't think I have enough time to order more. Well maybe I do....

My 6' Gat-ku will be there for use on Friday. Band or whole thing.

No I'm Josh
03-21-2014, 05:09 PM
Mark I have bands that I'll bring. Tom would love to try your Gat-ku!

tomo
03-21-2014, 07:04 PM
Mark I have bands that I'll bring. Tom would love to try your Gat-ku!

Sure, Josh,
The 6' is much more difficult for my hand than the 9'. It should work well for you.

Jeff_D
03-22-2014, 10:25 PM
I'm at Barview right now. The vis is about one foot. I will be bringing rod and reel just in case.

tomo
03-23-2014, 01:08 AM
I'm at Barview right now. The vis is about one foot. I will be bringing rod and reel just in case.

That is about 12 times better than it often is.

kehloken
03-23-2014, 07:55 AM
So what does the viz. have to be on the Oregon coast in order to Spearfish, and being on the coast what's the depth of this like you're on that jetty somewhere the picture of Barview that I seen.

tomo what do you mean about gaffs for removal, I take it the spikes for climbing a tree so it doesn't injure the tree if it stays alive.

tomo
03-23-2014, 08:15 AM
So what does the viz. have to be on the Oregon coast in order to Spearfish, and being on the coast what's the depth of this like you're on that jetty somewhere the picture of Barview that I seen.

tomo what do you mean about gaffs for removal, I take it the spikes for climbing a tree so it doesn't injure the tree if it stays alive.

That is correct. And Barview depths where jetty meets channel bottom are 50ft. +, making it the deepest on the coast, to my knowledge.

kehloken
03-23-2014, 08:32 AM
Then there is no break in the vis at depth if it's bad at 10 feet it's bad all the way to the bottom.

So you just climb with some good shoes that's all. I seen you said a guy goes barefoot.

philip.graber
03-23-2014, 06:39 PM
Hmm, glad I checked spearboard this week. Are there still open slots for this fiasco?

tomo
03-23-2014, 06:57 PM
Hmm, glad I checked spearboard this week. Are there still open slots for this fiasco?

Uhh, "fiasco", isn't that the south of the border version of the tango?

JuanBreath
03-23-2014, 08:52 PM
Just wondering if any scuba dudes are interested in some tanks. Probably out of cert, but free! Will bring down this week if folks are interested.

North Star
03-23-2014, 10:06 PM
Just wondering if any scuba dudes are interested in some tanks. Probably out of cert, but free! Will bring down this week if folks are interested.

I will take them Jaun. Free is a good price, and I know where to get them checked. Thanks!

North Star
03-23-2014, 10:09 PM

It's about time you showed up around here. I thought we had lost you to that baby forever. Just call Barview campground and reserve a spot. Hope to see you there!

Kyle M
03-23-2014, 11:01 PM
I still have room for another tent at my spot if anyone is interested.

Darmes
03-24-2014, 12:00 AM
I will take them Jaun. Free is a good price, and I know where to get them checked. Thanks!

Damn! I don't check spearboard for 2 seconds and Max swoops on a tank deal... Oh well. Stoked to see everyone and get in the water!!!

JuanBreath
03-24-2014, 01:19 PM
Perhaps a spearoff is in order!? Hmm, me like.

cchen
03-25-2014, 12:55 AM

Hahaha biggest fish wins the tanks? :gun::gun:

quattroluvr
03-25-2014, 09:52 AM
a few things.
1. I am bringing a spare, pretty bright pistol grip light to lend (cloudy forecast = dim light u/w) ...might even prevent use of forehead bottom detector device? ;-)
2. I'll also bring some climbing gear to lend in case of a miracle dry spell, but imo climbing wet trees is not fun and not that safe)
3. anyone have extra scuba tanks I could borrow? (will pay for current fill and after fill, beers).
Cheers,
Leigh

Jeff_D
03-25-2014, 10:34 AM
I have a couple of steel 95's that I think are current and can be filled.

Nwsportsman
03-25-2014, 10:51 AM

When H&L with my buddies we would have a competition for the first, biggest and most fish. A dollar for each category worked out nicely.:toast:

To make it fair, we would only count every other fish that Josh gets ;)

kehloken
03-25-2014, 11:44 AM
quattroluvr, you must mean unsafe not using spikes or gaffs. I have big maples I need to climb and delimb but do not want to hurt in any way. So tomo must be talking repelling gear of some sort.

Looking at some info of your diving conditions and area I found this yesterday.
http://reservations.co.tillamook.or.us/index.asp

It shows the actual pictures of the campsites. And you can also see if the spot is reserved or not. looks like they just launched it yesterday.

You can reserve online now.

quattroluvr
03-25-2014, 02:03 PM
Thanks Jeff, re tank loaners, I'll email ya.

No I'm Josh
03-25-2014, 03:14 PM
Cliff, you giving away Max's tanks?
Lars, thanks for the big up but in my current state I'll be happy to just get in the water. And besides you are forgetting Mark will be there!
Kehloken, you sure you can't make it down? Be great to have some WA representation!

North Star
03-25-2014, 03:24 PM

Very funny. You rascal. :)

I'll surrender already - if Dan needs the tanks, he can have them. I already have a couple of my own. Glad to see him put them to use.

quattroluvr
03-25-2014, 04:02 PM
Damn! I don't check spearboard for 2 seconds and Max swoops on a tank deal... Oh well. Stoked to see everyone and get in the water!!!
I'd kinda like one of the two free tanks, if that's cool with Juanbreath and Dan. (Not many fill stations on the OR coast re future trips.)

Jeff (aka super nice guy) is loaning me two full/VIP'ed tanks for this event.

Leigh

cchen
03-25-2014, 06:20 PM

Haha, SHOTS FIRED!!

No I'm Josh
03-25-2014, 07:18 PM
Dagnabbit! The "big grin" icon isn't working!!!

quattroluvr
03-25-2014, 09:49 PM
I'm bringing a giant tarp that one of the tent siter's can borrow for a rain shelter and gathering place if needed/desired. I'm in gray Passat TDI wagon. Will be mostly parked over by site 65, 66 trailer sites which is Dan and Jeff respectively.
Leigh

P.S. I just packed up the car and between scuba, free, camp chairs, cooler for fish, etc, etc. I have a RIDIC amount of crap in that car. Good thing it's not a smart car. ;-) Going down tonight to dive with Dan tomorrow.

tomo
03-26-2014, 10:46 AM
My work has shifted to Friday , which looked like the divable day for moi, so we will be down early tomorrow with a load of firewood. Axes will come in handy.

tomo
03-26-2014, 07:12 PM
News flash,
Highway 6 to Tillamook closed due to slide, at least thru Thursday morning. Might have to take the long way around.

Kyle M
03-26-2014, 08:29 PM
Thanks Tom! Since I'm in Portland I'll check the ODOT site in the morning and loop north by Cannon Beach if needed. See you tomorrow at the water "resistant" tent building contest.

quattroluvr
03-26-2014, 08:36 PM
Given the rain, if some (tent?) person wants to share a place at Rockaway, 3 miles N, no cost, pm me. A friends cabin. This also opens a slot in Jeffs trailer #66, so contact jeff about that as a possibility. Leigh.

JuanBreath
03-26-2014, 11:04 PM
Currently grafting dolphin head to my forhead.

Jeff_D
03-26-2014, 11:59 PM
Given the rain, if some (tent?) person wants to share a place at Rockaway, 3 miles N, no cost, pm me. A friends cabin. This also opens a slot in Jeffs trailer #66, so contact jeff about that as a possibility. Leigh.

I do have room...so if your tent is leaky and you want a dry place to sleep I can fit a couple of people (possibly) in my trailer.

Transporter
03-27-2014, 12:16 AM
Looks like I can get away Friday morning to come down and meet up with you guys. What time was everyone planning on getting in the water? Looking forward to meeting everyone in real life.

cchen
03-27-2014, 02:48 AM
Looks like I can get away Friday morning to come down and meet up with you guys. What time was everyone planning on getting in the water? Looking forward to meeting everyone in real life.

High tide is at 11 I think, so probably sometime around 930-10ish?

PS is anyone gonna be digging clams (thursday afternoon?)

Kyle M
03-27-2014, 08:56 AM
Cliff, I'm going to say maybe on the clamming for me, depending on how satisfying my morning harvest session is. I'll have my kayak and shovel, just in case.

Jeff_D
03-27-2014, 09:00 AM
I might throw in crab gear on the low (brought the boat). I could let it soak and head to the sand bars.

kehloken
03-27-2014, 09:13 AM
Josh I am going to join you guys. I got my MRI back on my knee and the doc said I need to freeze my knee. What better way than learning how to Freedive with Oregon coast free divers. Jeff I brought crab pots also. IMN c 15 which is by the bathrooms and the host. Across from q 11 and 10. I will come check and see if your home your spot.

cchen
03-27-2014, 01:05 PM
Reports from this morning?

kehloken
03-27-2014, 02:27 PM
I went out with Mike and these Oregon guys have a really tough I managed to get a Rockfish and come back and had up for lunch. The guys are said the visibility was just so bad it's hard to get them. Regardless the diving was fun. Then it's a beautiful sunny day now.

MikePierce170
03-27-2014, 04:37 PM
Unfortunately I'm not going to be able to make the meetup this time around. Best of luck to you guys. Looking forward to the pictures and stories :)

kehloken
03-27-2014, 08:35 PM
Transporter so after today's diving am so what it be like 11 o'clock. Their prediction is like a half hour after high tide. At least that the guide over today. And this is because with scuba he can get two tanks in. So somewhere in that timeframe. But yeah please show up I'd like to meet you. I'm interested in the free diving stuff. Josh and Kyle and Josh his buddy are out right now. Their diving for crab.

Jeff_D
03-28-2014, 03:40 PM
I had fun...thanks to all!

kehloken
03-28-2014, 03:54 PM
Well the conditions weren't good for the free divers yesterday. But today Dan can say how many feet because of this I say it's it just about 20 feet quatroluvr he if he figured it was pretty good also. I and up getting six rockfish plenty for me. Never seen a ling. But Dan slayed him, of course it put his time and needed to dives back-to-back. Guys lots of energy and is a great Diver. I think when my knees are better I would climb over that rock Jetty a massive amount of times to when I come back. Corset always be rainy and wet because I'll come down here in the wintertime where I have no season for fish in the Puget Sound to speak of. So I had a great time too I guess I'm in a pack up and leave as everyone is just left so I'm glad I came down early.

quattroluvr
03-28-2014, 05:38 PM
More trip report later, but vis was pretty good today for a change, and tons of rockfish. Speared my first fish ever today!!! Woohoo. 4 rockfish. Riffe mt 1s gun was awesome. One band was plenty powerful out to 14 ft. Also did my 1st ever saltwater free dives. Thanks to everyone for all the advice and encouragement, and special thanks to Dan, Jeff, Josh. Next meetup!? Leigh.

kehloken
03-28-2014, 06:21 PM
You got nice out so I decided to stay another day.

tomo
03-28-2014, 08:16 PM
It is fantastic that it cleared up for you fellows! A great couple of days at good ol' Barview. Standing out at the mid parking area B.S.ing. Henry, Thom, and Willie, I laughed more than I have in years.
And Leigh, nice to meet you, sounds like you are off to a great start!
Jeff, I apologize for not stealing your outboard as requested.

quattroluvr
03-28-2014, 09:48 PM
Kelohken/Tom and I are plannin to dive scuba tomorrow, but the wave energy forecast by hi tide time at Barview is pretty bad. Other site ideas that might have fish? PM me with suggestions? Tom has a small zodiac. Backup idea is crab dive at Netarts. Leigh.

Kyle M
03-28-2014, 09:56 PM
Well, I don't have much fish activity to report on, as the vis was about 2 ft the one time I got out. But, it was really great to spend time with so many of you. Let's see, I think there was: Henry, Willie, Mark, Josh, Leigh, Dan, Ian, and Tom, Tom, Tom. Did I miss anyone? Oh, somebody said Cliff stopped by. Let's hope to avoid the monsoon next time!

Kyle M
03-28-2014, 09:58 PM
Oh, yeah Jeff was there as well. Looking forward to next time!

tomo
03-28-2014, 10:29 PM
Kelohken/Tom and I are plannin to dive scuba tomorrow, but the wave energy forecast by hi tide time at Barview is pretty bad. Other site ideas that might have fish? PM me with suggestions? Tom has a small zodiac. Backup idea is crab dive at Netarts. Leigh.

Hi Leigh,
Netarts may well be your best bet, but, if the incoming tide shows signs of decent viz, you might enjoy taking the boat to the Painted Rocks area, which is the grouping of rocks between Barview and Garibaldi. Once upon a time there was good fishing there. And now you could get into crab, perch, cockles, and who knows. Have to dive slack and not get blown away from your boat. Good luck

kehloken
03-28-2014, 10:50 PM
Well first off I want to say free divers are nothing but a bunch of pussies. So it rained a little the visibility was shit. In the morning they all decided to go home. But the visibility got better. I quit drinking for a little while. I seen a few people had beers with them so I said I'll go get a few beers and a couple pints of liquor. We had a good time Josh made ceviche. And I was did Turman to go diving but wasn't sure and dan said you want to go. I said sure I've had Kahlúa from Brian. Well then didn't want to go diving with me. But we met up and went for a dive and visibility was ****ing awesome. And as usual now that I know Dan. It had to go for a second dive and you got to laying on a second dive with his Rockfish. Well I posted and now Leigh stop by and he is thinking that because of the wave energy we should go to another place to dive. And I'm all up for it.
Tomaro thanks for the wood I have Dan's left over and Plentywood and I'm just Burningwood like crazy. I cook my fish on it and boiled my crab on it. The weather is beautiful right now no moon no it's dark as hell. So I am going to go put some more fish on. And have a shot of tequila shot a Sinfire and have another IPA. So I think I need more Kahlúa in the morning so I'm ready to go diving again with Leigh. He stop by for about an hour and will do great conversation and a good time with a beer together in a couple shots.

So I'm sure everybody understands my actions in life and knows that when I said that free divers are bunch of pussies it's all in fun LOL. I did not get the free dive with these guys but maybe sometime. I did meet Ian. Glad he did stop by just to say hi in the morning when we set underneath Brian's tarp in the rain.

One things for sure as I'm sitting here using dictate on my iPhone. I am toasty warm with this fire and all the fire what I have here.

Cheers to all I'm even Cliff and his buddy that stop by and drop the magazine off.

Darmes
03-28-2014, 11:16 PM
Very funny. You rascal. :)

I'll surrender already - if Dan needs the tanks, he can have them. I already have a couple of my own. Glad to see him put them to use.

Thanks Max! Sorry you couldn't make it out. You missed some classic early spring NW diving. Saw one of the best Barview lings I've ever seen today. I left it as brood stock... that and I didn't have a shot worth taking. :)

Darmes
03-28-2014, 11:49 PM
So I'm finally sitting down from getting home, unloading, and vacuum packing the fish. It was great to see everybody and meet a lot of new people! I'm glad so many braved the conditions. It would have been nice to have the weather hold out, but that's the PNW in early spring. Leigh, nice work breaking in that gun! Tom, good diving with you and I hope to take you up on that offer to come dive up north. Juanbreath, thanks for the tanks and it was good to see you out there again. Josh, thanks for setting everything up and for the cerviche! Tomo, thanks for the firewood and the usual flare. Since I haven't seen many pictures yet I thought I should post a couple. Can anyone identify the bone I found? Its going on the wall of my classroom.

kehloken
03-28-2014, 11:58 PM
I have to admit that when the guy across from my campsite had three tanks sitting close to the road and I said how come you're leaving those there he says there up for grabs for anybody that wants them. Being Diver for many years I didn't realize he was giving away a really good tank for my case in general. He had an old 120 2550 tank. I told them what I do with the larger capacity tank. I filll with pure oxygen and then make it 40% nitrox. This way I can open the valves full to fill my Trimix of desire. I currently use beachaut 140s. And I seen that somebody wanted the other tanks here on Spearboard. I was calling Dan Mike first but I realize that he was the one that wanted the tanks. It is a 1986 tank. And someone put a new valve on it cause it's for din only no insert.

So again Brian thanks for the tank. I know it doesn't eggs and a couple bags of ice doesn't really cover it. But if you and all you guys want to make it up to Whidbey Island in more than happy and welcome to you all to enjoy the diving that I have here.

kehloken
03-29-2014, 12:08 AM
So since all the divers are gone at the meeting the fisherman. And they're all going out to fish the Rockfish on the high tide right now. I know I've been sitting by the fire drinking but I feel like climbing in the water and do little spearfishing for some rock Fish or lingcod. I didn't really think about doing nightdive I have dove before when I had to when I was drunk. I guess I'll sit here by the fire and think about it.

North Star
03-29-2014, 04:13 AM
Dan - No problem. I opted out due to the severe weather warning put out by NOAA for the coast: 30 mph winds and a couple inches of rain, and me having to sleep 3 people in a tent, I thought it would be more of an exercise in survival than in fun - plus the vis reports didn't look good at all.

What was the wind actually like?

But, I was really conflicted about not going - I really missed meeting you all, but the 3 hour drive to visit for a couple of hours and then 3 more hours home just didn't make sense to me.

Glad to see the fish photos. Guess there was some vis on Friday? We need to schedule another one of these in September - usually really nice conditions then.

And Kehloken - please don't dive when you are drunk. Sleep it off and go later when you are sober.

kehloken
03-29-2014, 07:00 AM
Northstar only had a couple beers and a few shots of tequila and Sinfire while cleaning fish and having dinner. Yet I didn't think about doing a dive that night as these guys suggested you can only dive here at the slack tide. So I got up to Do a.m. dive which is also a night dive I heard and feel the wind. But when I went out to the jetty holy shit. I thought it was a complicated entry for almost old coot when it's calmer. It was just so nice a few hours ago. Warm No wind quiet now there's gust drying the wet suits off quite well though.

I'm up ready and ripping rare to go with those waves or hit the rocks hard. So I went up to the entrance by the gate where joshing them guys go yesterday and it's just as bad there. So we'll have to see how the day turns out. I really want to do a night though. Not sure when you got to prediction is a 30 mph winds Northstar but they're here now.

kehloken
03-29-2014, 07:10 AM
Oh by the way if you do have a few drinks and had to go for a dive for whatever reason ya had you can do the dive, basically if you're used to narcosis it's not much different. But what really gets you is as soon as you exit the water or should I say when your head pops to the surface and you hit the air in a minute you need to have water extremely fast because the biggest hurtful hangover you've ever felt hits you instantly. And I'm talking a pounding headache, so you need a bottle of water with you or on the Anchorline and as soon as you surface you need to suck that whole bottle water in order to avoid that dehydration headache. Not sure if that would work for everyone but it did for us when we had to do emergency diving on our time off.

kehloken
03-29-2014, 10:04 AM
I ended up going for the dive anyways. I took my video light from my go Pro and visibility was pretty good. No lingcod again. I only took two Rockfish didn't feel like cleaning a bunch of fish today.

kehloken
03-29-2014, 03:47 PM
Today is just beautiful suns been out during my dive I got my Ling and well the suns out I'm pack up as everything is drying out real nice. And visibility was the same as it was yesterday just fine. lot of fishermen out there today. Well I'm not going to complain 10 fish misspent about $400 with camping fishing license Kraben license gas couple six packs a couple pints liquor eggs hashbrowns and muffins.

So now I got to go back to my reality is no more drinking alcohol losing weight eating nothing and go get a job.

Cheers to meeting you all thanks juanbreath for the scuba tank Josh for the raw dinner. Tomo for the wood. And most of all Dan for show me how to dive the jetty where to go and how to do it tide wise.

Cheers to all.

quattroluvr
03-29-2014, 07:21 PM
Gaper clams, yum recipe...

Clam Chowder ala BarView
Ingredients:

2 bottles clam juice
2 cans chicken broth
1 pound potatoes, diced 1/4-inch <<< I sub'ed sweet potato and loved it
5 slices bacon, 1/2-inch diced
1 small yellow onion, diced small
3 stalks celery, diced small
3 bay leaves
1 tablespoon freshly chopped thyme leaves
1/2 stick butter
1/2 cup all-purpose flour <<< I sub'ed cornstarch to make it gluten-free and it had a nice thickness
2 cups heavy cream
2 pounds fresh or frozen clams, diced <<< I pounded them with hammer and much more tender
2 tablespoons freshly chopped parsley leaves
Kosher salt and white pepper

Directions:

Bring the clam juice, chicken broth and diced potatoes to a boil in a large soup pot. Cook until the potatoes are tender. Set aside.

To make roux: In a pot, render the bacon, until crispy. Stir in the onion and celery until it's translucent. Add bay leaves, thyme and butter and let it melt. Whisk in the flour and let the roux cook until it turns golden brown, about 3 to 4 minutes.

Bring the clam juice and potato back to a boil. Whisk in a ladleful of clam juice into the roux then gradually whisk the roux into the soup pot until it thickens. Then whisk in the cream and heat to a simmer while whisking. Add the clams and let simmer for 2 to 3 minutes. Then add the parsley and kosher salt and pepper to taste. Serve hot with oyster crackers.

quattroluvr
03-29-2014, 07:51 PM
Couldn't find Josh's recipe but I cruised the Recipes part of the board and put together a compendium of the better looking ceviche recipes... pick and choose your favorite ideas and make your own twist on it.
Leigh
================
It has to marinate in small pieces in lemon juice or lime with a drop of gin or tequila for about an hour.
Then throw away the fluid and season with onions ( red are better, washed in water for 5 minutes ) vinegared capers, oregano, cilantro, dried chili and fresh jalapeno peppers diced, 1 or 2 fresh diced tomatoes, a good olive oil . Add salt at the last minute....lots of toasted bread and of toasts
===============================
Here's a great ceviche recipe.

1 lb of fresh Hogfish – (you can use any white meat fish or shrimp, scallops etc)
1 lg. red onion
6 fresh limes
5 or 6 stalks of celery
4 garlic cloves
2 beefsteak tomatoes
2 cups Clamato Juice
1 jalapeño
Hot sauce of your choice (optional)
Fresh cilantro (to taste)
Box of flat Tostada shells - 6" one's
Lousiana Hot sauce

Cut fish into small chunks making sure to remove any dark meat. If you are using shrimp they must be peeled and deveined first. Spread fish over the bottom of a glass casserole dish. Try to make sure there’s only one layer of fish. Squeeze limes over fish. Be sure all of the fish is coated as this is what will “cook” the fish. If all of the fish isn’t coated, go get more limes. Place dish in fridge for 15 minutes.

Coarsely chop onion, celery and tomatoes.

Finely chop garlic, cilantro and jalapeño.

Remove dish from fridge and stir in onions, pat down to one layer and put back in fridge for another 15 mins.

Remove from fridge again and stir in remaining ingredients using only one or two squirts (or more) of hot sauce.

Chill for a half hour. (You and the dish)

Spoon onto Tostada shell, squirt on a dab of hot sauce and enjoy.

================================================== =
Recipe from Peru, which is like the birthplace of ceviche...I always thought it was Cuba, but oh well!!

Ingredients

2 pounds white fish fillet (preferably sea bass), cut into small pieces
¼ cup fresh lime juice (or more, if needed)
2 onions, thinly sliced
1 Tablespoon olive oil
1 Tablespoon fresh cilantro
1 clove garlic, crushed
1 to 2 chilies, finely chopped
Black pepper
1 teaspoon salt
Procedure

Mix the lime juice with the onion slices, oil, cilantro, garlic, chilies, pepper, and salt in a mixing bowl.
Place the fish in a shallow glass or ceramic dish just large enough to hold it in a single layer. Pour the lime-juice mixture over it. The fish must be completely covered with the mixture. Add more lime juice if necessary.
Cover tightly with plastic wrap and refrigerate for several hours (or overnight) until the fish is "soft cooked." (Make certain it has marinated long enough.) Serve on lettuce leaves garnished with onion rings, thin strips of pepper, and sweet potatoes and/or corn on the cob.
any kind of fish or shellfish cut into small pieces
===========================================
- fresh garlic
- sweet onion
- nice red tomatoes
- jalepenao pepper ( or a GOOD hotsauce -NOT tobassco or Red Hott)
- cilantro
- fresh limes
- olive oil
- salt/pepper

fish:
any kind of tasty white fish, cut into small chunks so that it "cooks" faster. amount depends on the total amount you want to make. i find that a mix of 3cups of fish and 3cups of salsa makes a good proprotion and enough to feed 4 or 5 hungry guys. now if Mobile Diver is along...make a batch just for him.

put the fish chunks in a bowl and squeeze fresh limes over it. i use about 2 limes per cup of fish. add a good amount of salt and if you want a clove or 2 of garlic.
note: the salt and garlic are optional, best done if making it at home, but i usually make the salsa at home and do the fish on the boat with FRESH fish...i mean still flipping! so i don't have those ingredients handy.

salsa:
take the seeds out of the tomatoes as best you can, just squeeze them over the garbage, this prevents too much liquid in the salsa. dice them as fine as you can get them. finely dice the onion and add to the tomatoes. i find a 50/50 mix of tomatoes to onion works great. if you like less onion...alter to your taste. FINELY mince the jalepeno pepper (don't touch your eyes after) and add it. i find a single large pepper works good for a 6cp batch of ceviche. if you use hotsauce instead of the pepper, make sure it's a GOOD sauce. not some vinegary crap like Tobassco. theRing of Fire Hot Sauce is my favorite.

dice up fresh cilantro, a good amount. some people don't like cilantro so adjust it to your taste. i usually do about a half handfull, add some and mix it all together then let it set and the flavors mix before adjusting it. and add a clove or 2 or fresh garlic and add to the mix. squeeze one fresh lime over the mixture and drizzle a little olive oil, maybe 2 tblspoons or so, and add a good pinch of salt and black pepper. mix well and let it set in the cooler or fridge for a few hours to mix all the flavors. shake or stir occasionally.

when the fish has "cooked" draiin off the juice and add it to the salsa. stir it toghether and for best taste let it sit for 20 or 30 mins to let the salsa flavor penetrate the fish.

i like to enjoy it with Saltine crackers...not the generic shit...the real stuff...trust me it makes a difference. or a nice hearty tortilla chip.

=============================================
other great ideas

fish tacos:
make the ceviche the same, but cut the fish into larger chunks, or stripes...you'll probably have to let it "cook" longer. make sure to use a strainer spoon to scoop the ceviche out so that it isn't too liquidy. throw it into a soft tortilla shell and wrap it up. add grated cheddar if you want or some pepper-jack for more heat.

other ingredients

things i've found good in the ceviche are green or red peppers for a little crunch, or a seedless cuccumber for texture. and if you find normal onions a bit too strong, cut the ammount in half and add a good helping of diced green onions.
try adding some diced cucumber to the mix. Serano chiles have a much better flavor than jalepenos do. About a cup of Clamato also goes well if you drain the juice off before serving. I like the ceviche much better if all of the ingredients are mixed before adding the lime.

Keez is right on the money about the proportions though. 1:1 on tomatoes and onions and 1:1 on vegetables to fish. I like to use white onion as a base, as it has more flavor, and use the red or sweet onions for color, and of course to tone down the bite of white onion and garlic, which I always use.

Key limes have more acidity than regular limes and will cook the fish faster and won't require so many limes. Salt is a key ingredient! You wouldn't dare shoot tequila and lime without salt, would you?!!

I like to use the Tostistos white corn "scoops" to eat the ceviche with. Traditionally, ceviche is served on a tostada, but that can turn into a big mess real fast. The scoops allow one to dip into the bowl without having to use utinsels or having the tostada falling apart after the first bite. The corn totillas have a much better flavor with ceviche than crackers do, IMO. Of course, no ceviche is really good unless enjoyed with an ice cold cerveza! Pacifico happens to be my favorite!
=======================================
Tried going 'islander' a bit, and added some Mango and Pineapple.
I wanted to post a quick step by step tutorial to make one of my favorite appetizers “ceviche”
It’s a perfect lunch for your diving day , very simple , and leaves you feeling satisfied , not full and lethargic
================================================

Ingredients youll need
Tomatoes = it really makes a difference if you get sweet Beefy tomatoes , are local roadside fruit stands are a great place to score great produce , its allot cleaner then the stuff the call “ organic” at Vons etc
Purple Onion
Cilantro
Lime
Lemon
Sea salt
Red Jalapeño Peppers
Olive Oil
Fresh homemade corn Tortillas or the ones made daily at your local Mexican market
Peanut Oil
Fruete avocado

Step one
Start with 2 Bowls one to mix the veggies & the second for the fish

2., Heat the Peppers on a medium heat with a little olive oil , heat them until the skin burns
You can remove the burnt skin or leave a little for a little smokey flavor
If you cant find mild red jalapeño , make sure to de-vine and remove all seeds ,

3, Cut your tomatoes in half and remove all the seeds and gooey stuff

4 chop all your veggies and set them in a strainer

5 cut your fish , make the cut like you would for poke

6 Salt the fish , sprinkle a generous amount of sea salt , let it stay in the salt for a good 10 mins to get it nice and firm

7 place the fish in a separate bowl

8 add the Lemon and lime to the fish stir for a good 3 mins , I like to use 2 Limes for every lemon
Let the fish stay in the lime for 15 mins

9 Strain the lemon /lime from the fish ,,,,

10 Mix every thing together

11, make some home made tostadas = very easy just deep fry your corn tortillas in peanut oil
untill there nice and crispy

12. Serve it up with a little Fresh Furete avocado on top , crack open a ice cold pacifico , and MANGIA
Attached Thumbnails

================================================== =================
½ inch x ½ inch cubed fresh fish meat . I used striper but would like to try black sea bass and trigger.

1 cup fresh squeezed lime juice
1 cup fresh squeezed lemon juice (optional)
Put these ingredients together in the fridge for 5hours or more

Ring out most of the juices
Chop ½ red onion diced small
fresh garlic clove smashed and sliced
Chop one fresh tomato
Small amount of fresh parsley
Salt/pepper to taste
Combine all ingredients and chill for a couple hours or overnight.

Serve as is or with chips or a taco
Ultimate Ceviche

Juices: Tangerine, orange, lime, lemon.

Vegetables: Onion, cilantro, tomatoes, pasillo chili, red bell pepper, green bell pepper, yellow bell pepper, tomatillo, cucumber, mango.

Sauces/spices: Garlic salt, sea salt, pepper, ketchup, tapatio.

Jetty Knight
03-29-2014, 07:58 PM
So I'm finally sitting down from getting home, unloading, and vacuum packing the fish. It was great to see everybody and meet a lot of new people! I'm glad so many braved the conditions. It would have been nice to have the weather hold out, but that's the PNW in early spring. Leigh, nice work breaking in that gun! Tom, good diving with you and I hope to take you up on that offer to come dive up north. Juanbreath, thanks for the tanks and it was good to see you out there again. Josh, thanks for setting everything up and for the cerviche! Tomo, thanks for the firewood and the usual flare. Since I haven't seen many pictures yet I thought I should post a couple. Can anyone identify the bone I found? Its going on the wall of my classroom.

Hey Darmes, looks like a left scapula, possibly a seal's? Google search seal scapula and they are pretty similar. But I am not sure, I am just a student physical therapist!

Jetty Knight
03-29-2014, 08:00 PM
Hey Darmes, looks like a left scapula, possibly a seal's? Google search seal scapula and they are pretty similar. But I am not sure, I am just a student physical therapist!

Nice haul by the way Darmes, looks like you guys had a blast. Hopefully me and Searun can make it down to one of these sometime.

Jeff_D
03-29-2014, 11:47 PM

My wife took one look at the bone pic and said scapula. Good call.

North Star
03-30-2014, 02:15 AM
My wife took one look at the bone pic and said scapula. Good call.

Tie a stick to it and use it for a kayak paddle. Got to repurpose everything, right?

kehloken
03-30-2014, 07:43 PM
The end of the dive I ran into Darmes wondering what in the hell he was dragging around with him, my first thought was the piece that goes on outboard help it plain.

Darmes
03-30-2014, 07:57 PM
Thanks for the feedback. I'm thinking maybe from a sea lion on the scapula, it is pretty big. I do have a sit on top with no paddle so I might have to put Max's idea to use. I've got it in a hydrogen peroxide bath now to clean it up a bit and then it will be displayed in my classroom. I have found some cool pictures of tribal carvings on similar bones, if I get ambitious I might try something.

kehloken
03-30-2014, 08:01 PM
Well I did not take too many pictures just busy doing other things but when I took a picture of quatroluvr first fish for him, I went and took a picture of my BOOTY that day, and a couple more pics when quatroluvr stop by. And a couple of the campfire that night which was like my own little bonfire with all the wood that I had from Tomo.
Also a picture of the sun being out with not very many clouds the last day I was there.203462

North Star
03-30-2014, 10:28 PM
Thanks for the photos! Glad you finally had some deliverance from the rain.

quattroluvr
04-02-2014, 09:33 PM
Hi guys,
Laid up for a few days after a knee treatment, so finally getting around to posting my "1st adventures" report from the meetup, thanks to y'all's support and advice.

Personal 1st #1: Speared my first fish! :gun: Didn't get any lings but still happy as a clam to get some rockfish. The viz on Friday high tide was pretty darn nice, which correlated super well with the 5X improvement overnight in lower 'wave energy' metric. 50% hit rate including several stoned. One hit at 10'. Used my new Riffe MetalTech 1S 38" gun. Gun comes with 3 bands, only installed 2, but I quickly determined it is plenty powerful with only one band.

Personal 1st #2: Jeff was nice enough to go practice free diving with me on TH at Netarts high tide (we took guns too but wishful thinking ;-) which had at least triple the vis as Barview. This was another 1st for me, i.e free diving in salt water. Got my weights better dialed and did some drops. Lots more work to do on an efficient entry move.

I'll be avail for mid-week OR coast spearo trips after about 4/8 ish*. Next 3 wknds are N/A, so April 26 wknd is first wknd avail.

Leigh

(BTW if anyone has joint cartilage damage and wants a surgery alternative, shoot me a PM re PRP treatments. Just got my last of 3 cartilage regrowth treatments)

Jeff_D
04-02-2014, 11:41 PM
When you get well maybe a few of us can go to Tolovana.

quattroluvr
04-07-2014, 10:51 AM
Hi Oregon guys (+WA Tom)
The forecast is for quite low wave-energy at the coast before and during this TH 4/10. Sunny on TH too :-) Regards wave-energy Dan's guideline at BarView is 3,000 or less... eg Tolovana is going to be as low as 1/8 of that level of wave-energy. :-) Low wave-energy on Tues lowering into Wed and TH means near shore waters will have several days to settle and clear up for potentially great viz. Moderate winds from the North, swells from West. High tide is ~10am though other sites aren't nearly as current sensitive as barview.

Anyway, who's in for TH at least? looks like some of the best conditions for Spring yet. I might be able to do Wed and/or Friday AM too... or go down the night before. I have access to a free cabin at Rockaway. The wave and weather forecast looks great, could be worth more than one day. (I'm N/A for wknd.) Let's coordinate via email.

I'd be freediving only this trip.

Leigh

mr dot leigh dot anderson atsign gmail

Darmes
04-08-2014, 12:10 AM
Wish I could join you , but have school and our my class has their first checkout dive weekend this weekend so we will be headed up to hoods canal. Good luck!!