View Full Version : Oregon coast diving video from OPD

kehloken
03-16-2014, 10:23 PM
Seen this else where and thought you oregonians might enjoy or might have
dove this area.

http://watch.opb.org/video/2334919238/

Calvin
03-18-2014, 08:46 PM
Ok, now I want to become a Scientific Diver. This could be cool :)

North Star
03-18-2014, 11:33 PM
Thanks for posting that. Enjoyed watching it.

kehloken
03-19-2014, 11:02 PM
welcome,

ya know where there diving at?

North Star
03-20-2014, 12:18 AM
welcome,

ya know where there diving at?

Well, not precisely, but yes, they are diving out of Yaquina Harbor, at Newport, the exact same place we dive out of. Conditions/vis/marine life were identical to what we see.

I have been to the Oregon Coast Aquarium many times. Really worth going to.

kehloken
03-23-2014, 08:01 AM
I just posted on the barview thread of the vis, and the Newport area looks nice unless it's deeper, so I'm thinking you have to have a deeper reef or something to get that good Vis.

I remember seeing a video of the Oregon aquarium where they were in a big pool raising a bunch of baby Wolfeel years ago.

North Star
03-23-2014, 10:28 PM
I just posted on the barview thread of the vis, and the Newport area looks nice unless it's deeper, so I'm thinking you have to have a deeper reef or something to get that good Vis.

I remember seeing a video of the Oregon aquarium where they were in a big pool raising a bunch of baby Wolfeel years ago.

Well we do have deeper reefs, but the vis does not get better as you go deeper as a general rule. If it is bad at the surface, it is bad all the way down. Plankton blooms are the bane of visibility around here.

kehloken
03-23-2014, 10:33 PM
not like neah bay, more like lapush, i just never dived lapush enough for a good evaluation on vis.