PDA

View Full Version : cheap wetsuit

michael.friend
04-12-2014, 09:03 PM
I posted on here a while back about gun options and got a lot of feedback so thanks for that, but now I'm wondering about what kind of wet suit to get. I'm 6'3 and weigh 155 lbs so I'm not sure If I need a custom one or not. But I will be growing more most likely and I need something that is dirt cheap because I will have to buy a new one soon. Open cell or closed cell doesn't matter to me, I can stay pretty warm in a 7 mil closed cell on scuba so I should be fine. but If you guys know anywhere I could get a cheap one, it would be appreciated. :)

Also as a sidenote, where are some good spots to go? I dont think the scuba community would appreciate me spearing in their dive spots, so if anyone knows some good places to go, I would be gratefull

Jeff_D
04-15-2014, 08:57 PM
I just went through looking for a suit...Cliff suggested Aqualand for a custom suit. You might want to check them out.

quattroluvr
04-15-2014, 09:20 PM
Mako has great prices on open cell, and fits my sort of average BMI well, but with your lean tall frame, would not fit for sure. I'd guess you need a custom suit.

quattroluvr
04-15-2014, 09:50 PM
regards your request on spear sites, your profile doesn't mention location, so kind of hard to recommend anything specific, but yes, good idea to stay away from spearing at popular scuba sites, especially popular scuba shore dives. Leave those sites for sightseeing and photography is nice thing to do (although H/L fishermen often don't avoid it). A general hint is to freedive spear at more remote reefs and rocky, shallower areas that scuba is too bulky and clunky and shallow for, including difficult access trails where its not practical to lug 100 lbs of scuba crap to/from the water. Often jetties are a good place to spear, but stay away from boat traffic lanes and beware of hook and line leftovers, carry multiple cutting devices. Specific freedive spear sites don't usually get posted because H/L guys lurk and can overwhelm a site. They outnumber us by a few tens of thousands to 1, I'd guess.

keysboy12
04-15-2014, 10:00 PM
I'm almost 6'4 and weight 142 . I'm very skinny. I found that the riffe medium tall suits fit me the best.! Even thought they are a little pricey , they are very comfy and cool looking

michael.friend
04-19-2014, 02:29 PM
regards your request on spear sites, your profile doesn't mention location, so kind of hard to recommend anything specific

I live near Seattle and when I go scuba diving I usually wear a farmer john, then a pull over shortie looking thing both 7 mil

Jeff_D
04-19-2014, 03:58 PM
http://www.shorediving.com/Earth/USA_West/Washington/index.htm

http://www.theperfectdive.com/DEF-SiteList.asp?nSubRegion=0&uSubRegionN=

These are a couple of my favorite web pages for dive sites...if it's legal I wouldn't let anyone tell you not to fish. There are some great San Juan areas and West of Port Angeles. Seattle area is tough. Can't shot rock fish there. I've always wanted to chase ling at KVI Tower but you pretty much would need a boat to get there.

juanacity
04-19-2014, 08:36 PM
Here is a previous thread about wetsuits for similar sized people;
http://www.spearboard.com/showthread.php?t=152441

Mako suits are pretty awesome for the price, but I got a ML one at 6'2" 165 that is fine but not optimal fit. I don't think they make one that will work well for you.

Riffe, Yazbeck and some others make a suit that is a size 52T (aka medium tall). Those are not cheap though and I haven't ever found a similar size for a low price. I think that leaves you at custom suit options. The least expensive of those seem to be Aqualand and Oceanos. I have no first hand experience with them, but they seem reasonably well liked and you can search for more opinions.

Please update us with your choice and outcome as I too will eventually want to get another cheap suit for my tall, lanky self.

...if it's legal I wouldn't let anyone tell you not to fish.

I agree with this sentiment in general. In fact, the only place I know of where I would make an exception and self-regulate is Alki. Just my two cents.

skram
04-20-2014, 10:37 AM
********** makes suits for tall and thin people. I believe they are jakboeno rebranded but not sure. If they are they are great suits