PDA

View Full Version : Crazy Currents

Stodelle
04-25-2005, 03:18 PM
Man, it seems we've been getting some crazy currents around Maui. Everybody I've been talking to is telling me the same thing I've been experiencing. We all seem to be getting stuck in some strong currents.

We went out yesterday at Ironwoods and it was flat as a lake. About an hour and a half into the dive....BAM! The water turned super choppy and the currentkicked up. We ended up ahving to exit the next cove over, hike through a golf course (in camo wetsuits with guns), jump a fence, and then hike back down the beach to get to our gear.

Last week was the same. Hit 2 different dive sites and we had to call it on both of them.

hilodiver
04-25-2005, 05:57 PM
Yeah, there are big tide shifts with this moon phase, so currents are pretty strong in some places. I went out and picked about a gallon of opihi this morning when the tide was -.3'.

Stodelle
04-26-2005, 01:38 AM
We pounded opihi's the other day. Boiled up a batch of chili peppa watah and ate good. Tonight, Uhu, Nenue, and Roi! I love living here!

Troy
04-26-2005, 01:49 AM
Hey Stodelle,

Hilodiver mentioned exactly why the current is honking right now. Places like Flemmings & Ironwoods, especially by the point can have some crazy current when there are big tide shifts or during the full moon cycle.

Aloha

Stodelle
04-26-2005, 01:36 PM
I've been following the Hawaiian Moon calendar, but the main current changes are during the 'ole phases (last week). These just seem to be kicking up out of nowhere and when the seas are supposed to be calm. Like I said, we went in with it flat and it got hairy quick.

bakayaro666
04-29-2005, 02:58 AM
Yep, I was there with Stodelle. Shoulda called me "bob" by the end of the dive. I was getting tossed around in all those wind waves.

Its been really weird lately. We went out yesterday around same area it was 3-5 and the day before it was a lake. Its hard to plan anything. Just gotta run to the ocean and just check it out.
I don't think that they're any kind of swells coming in, just wind chop. I could be wrong though. It's something I'd like to learn more about. So when are the currents the strongest? I always thought it had more to do with location and tides. I don't know much about the phases of the moon and how it affects the currents.

cantshoot
04-29-2005, 06:37 AM
The tides are more extreme close to the full moon and the new moon and generally create a strong current between the high and low tides (better fishing). the weeks between the full and new moon have a smoother tide change. Hope this helps. The winds have been strong on Oahu too. :(

http://www.hawaiifishingnews.com/tidecal.cfm