PDA

View Full Version : Securing Kayaks to roof rack

Blazing07
05-17-2014, 12:39 AM
Last weekend on the way to Astoria on a camping trip my Kayak came off my vehicle on I-5. I secured my 15' kayak using ratchet straps to my factory roof rack. I also have Yakima bars and saddle kayak racks. I've done this many times placing the hooks on the factory roof rack and tightening. I was also pulling a tent trailer with bicycles on top of that. My wife's brand new beach cruiser... Anyways we are going down the road I had just checked the straps on the kayak to make sure they were tight and boom the kayak flies off and strikes the beach cruiser and then goes down the road. Bike was broke in half. Kayak has a nice hole in the nose. The roof rack bolt stripped out of the top of the vehicle. Way bummer. The roof racks are not designed for that kind of force. If you can secure your Kayak to the bars. Use straps in the front and rear to keep wind from picking it up also. Lesson learned. Next Adventure Paddle plastic welded the hole together for about 40$. Not bad could have been worse.

Be safe,

Don

North Star
05-17-2014, 04:18 AM
Wow. Good advice out of a bad experience. That was a bummer. Thanks for the heads up.

steepNdeep
05-17-2014, 12:06 PM
Brutal. Ive had my windsurfer do the same. Cheap rack came right off the car. Glad they could fix it. A rope securing the nose to the front of the car would help...

VangysWay
05-17-2014, 12:44 PM
What a bummer sorry to hear that. I drove my 14' from LA to SD last night with it ratchet strapped straight to my roof... it was a long ride to say the least

MikePierce170
05-18-2014, 04:37 PM
Yeah I made a habit of always securing the front and rear of the kayak with ratchet straps. I have a Tule roof rack system for my truck and use the Tule Load straps to secure it in the middle. I either go through the scupper holes or through the handle. It takes a little longer to load and unload but it's cheaper than repairing a kayak, or hitting a vehicle behind you.

I remember leaving Tolovana this one time following Todd and Don and all of a sudden one of the kayaks slipped out partially on the drivers side. The kayak was dragging on the road haha. They quickly fixed it but it's still scary.

Moral of the story, as Don hinted at, more tie downs won't hurt.

Blazing07
05-18-2014, 05:05 PM
Good advice Mike! I need to grab some load straps.

Kyle M
05-19-2014, 12:39 AM
My once slipped back about six inches and I pulled over and routed my straps through the scuppers. No problem since then. Glad no car behind you got hit.

Blazing07
05-19-2014, 03:50 PM
Just got my Kayak back from Next Adventure Paddle. They did a great job repairing the hole and painting it. They also fixed the rudder side that was crushed in. I did not ask them to fix that. It also looks great. All for $40. Amazing!