PDA

View Full Version : Freshwater Spearfishing Action

MikePierce170
05-28-2014, 06:56 PM
FINALLY, I was successful spearfishing for carp (the proper way). This has been a long time coming and also marks the first time I've been able to dive since breaking my hand over a month ago. It felt so good to finally be back in the water hunting for fish again!

This body of water initially caught my eye from Google Maps. It's closely connected to the Columbia and as we all know if it's connected to the Columbia it should theoretically hold carp. When I pulled up to the lake I had a quick chat with this older guy getting out. He said he'd never seen carp here but plenty of smallmouth bass and walleye. He asked me how I was going to fish for carp and I told him either by bow or by spear lol. He raised an eyebrow and told me if I see any walleye to just give them to him hahaha. Since I'd never fished this water before I asked about the depths and he gave me a quick layout of where the shallow and deep spots were.

Once he pulled out I launched my boat and found a spot that looked good and anchored up. On my first dive I saw a few trout and a smallmouth. Then on my second dive I spotted my target and blasted him. I was so excited! Once I got the fish back to the boat I had to take a moment to marvel at my accomplishment :D. The rest of the day went really well. Visibility was in the 6-10ft range depending on location. I didn't get a chance to look at the water temps but my deepest dive was 29ft. Although carp are bottom feeders I found most in shallower water and also suspended just above the thermocline. In fact one of the bigger ones I shot (15.75lbs) was hanging out with 2 other carp right above the thermocline. I ended up sneak attacking them like a god damn ninja from underneath. Poor guys had no idea what was coming :rofl:. I also set a new personal best! My biggest carp taken is now 18 pounds. He fought like a champ too.

I did learn a couple valuable lessons though. 1.) ALWAYS have a freshly sharpened spear tip when fishing for carp. There were a couple carp (like one in the video) I shot that either spun off or didn't penetrate deep enough to hold them. 2.) NEVER head shot a carp. I have a good habit of shooting fish in the head because it wastes no meat and can also kill them instantly. Carp, however, have a head made entirely of thick bone! It took me quite a while to pull my spear out of the first one. I learned my lesson after the second carp and began shooting them in the body haha. It made retrieving the spear much easier. Plus, they seemed to fight a lot harder too. And 3.) ALWAYS make sure you've got an empty SD card in your GoPro before recording. My dumbass forgot to erase the previous trips footage which is why I only ended up capturing a few shots. Sorry guys, next time! And trust me there WILL be a next time very soon. http://i244.photobucket.com/albums/gg3/Ginna_may/Dziekuje.gif

http://youtu.be/alwIYC8gzqs

Photography credit goes to Crystal Garcia at Purely Yours Photography (http://www.purelyyoursphotography.com/)

264win
05-28-2014, 09:04 PM
That looks like a blast Mike. It has been on my to do list for a couple years.
Im going to make it happen now .

Jeff_D
05-28-2014, 09:29 PM
Nice work! I forgot that my wife's cousin has a doctorate in invasive fish species. He did his thesis on carp in the Columbia basin. I just sent him an email asking likely spots to hunt. I'll post his answer here if anyone's interested.

MikePierce170
05-28-2014, 09:42 PM
Nice work! I forgot that my wife's cousin has a doctorate in invasive fish species. He did his thesis on carp in the Columbia basin. I just sent him an email asking likely spots to hunt. I'll post his answer here if anyone's interested.

Jeff I'd love any inside information on carp. I've been fishing for them for the past 2 years (mainly by bow). I've had plenty of luck and know where to find them but more information doesn't hurt.

The main guy I've talked with about carp is a fly fisherman by the name of John "Montana". His blog is here: http://carponthefly.blogspot.com/. He regularly catches 20+lb carp on the fly along the Columbia River.

And 264win, anytime you wanna go let me know. I plan on making another trip this week possibly.

Ocean
05-28-2014, 09:47 PM
Nice Carp's, what length of the speargun did you use?

MikePierce170
05-28-2014, 09:50 PM
Nice Carp's, what length of the speargun did you use?

It's a 75cm custom build with Mako, Salvimar, and Rob Allen parts. Love this gun.

Ocean
05-28-2014, 09:57 PM
It's a 75cm custom build with Mako, Salvimar, and Rob Allen parts. Love this gun.
Thank you. I planning to go spearfish for carp tomorrow but I have only 120 Pathos Carbon speargun, so I don't know is it going to work or not. Never spearfish in freshwater yet.

MikePierce170
05-28-2014, 10:02 PM
Thank you. I planning to go spearfish for carp tomorrow but I have only 120 Pathos Carbon speargun, so I don't know is it going to work or not. Never spearfish in freshwater yet.

It all depends on what kinda viz you have. Here in the Pacific Northwest we're lucky to have days where we get 20ft of viz in the ocean. That's why I use a shorter gun. And it just happens to work for a lot of the freshwater up here too.

North Star
05-29-2014, 12:22 AM
Man those are ugly fish! Glad there are 4 fewer of them. Sounds like a ton of fun! Good advice on shooting carp. Thanks for the education. Glad your hand is better and that you are back in the game.:toast:

MikePierce170
05-29-2014, 12:27 AM
Man those are ugly fish! Glad there are 4 fewer of them. Sounds like a ton of fun! Good advice on shooting carp. Thanks for the education. Glad your hand is better and that you are back in the game.:toast:

Oh there's about 8 fewer lol. I only pictured 4 :)

Jeff_D
05-29-2014, 08:34 AM
This was his response.

"The loop on the downstream side of hood river behind the island, out behind SDS lumber in the weed beds (there is a bay there) and there is a big bay next to the highway below John Day dam."

LittleGoat
05-29-2014, 09:39 AM
The main guy I've talked with about carp is a fly fisherman by the name of John "Montana". His blog is here: http://carponthefly.blogspot.com/. He regularly catches 20+lb carp on the fly along the Columbia River.

It's funny you mention him because I was about to caution going to the "main" spots for carp in the surrounding area of PDX because of these fly fishers. They catch and release all carp because they want bigger carp to catch next time. You might run into conflict, but you of all people can probably handle yourself the best if the worse happens. ;)

quattroluvr
05-29-2014, 12:36 PM
I'm going to my Hood River house this wknd. Might have to check out that tip from Jeff. Mike's spot looks like east a bit as well. If you want company Mike, I'm up for it, including during the week.

Also looking for nearby carp spots to start teaching my adult son in the evenings in free spearo, as he only has Sundays off to get to the coast. Anyone know of places with any workable viz and carp convenient to Portland?

Mike, can you PM me with this location if that's OK? We met recently re the Riffe.

I keep watching for Clackamette/lagoon to clear up for carp hunting... you can check the turbidity online at http://nwis.waterdata.usgs.gov/nwis/uv?site_no=14211010... OH, it's clear right now! Turbidity below 1.0 is good. the most recent hourly reading this am is 0.7 update now 0.6. Water temp is in the mid-50's. Anyone up for checking it out today, this afternoon? txt to 503 for ate for 7 oh fiver 6

UPDATE: I also looked for turbidity website for the Columbia, but strangely, NOAA doesn't seem to measure that river :-(
http://waterdata.usgs.gov/or/nwis/current/?type=quality

Cheers,
Leigh

MikePierce170
05-29-2014, 01:21 PM
It's funny you mention him because I was about to caution going to the "main" spots for carp in the surrounding area of PDX because of these fly fishers. They catch and release all carp because they want bigger carp to catch next time. You might run into conflict, but you of all people can probably handle yourself the best if the worse happens. ;)

Yes I'm a member on the OregonFishingForum as well. And all those carp guys know exactly who I am lol. John "Montana" was one of the first guys to start giving me tips on what to look for and where. Him and I have actually been out fishing a couple time together. He also kicked my ass at racquetball and table tennis. That's another story though lol. But John isn't like the crazy fly guys you mention. He knows the carp populations are more than sustainable and has no issue with people harvesting them. He does however despise the people that kill carp and just toss them on the bank. John has actually defended me on the forum several times because he knows I actually use the carp. No, that doesn't mean I eat them lol but I do have a use for them :). John does refuse to take me to his "A water", as he calls it. I told him sooner or later I'm going to run into him on the river and then he's screwed. Cuz I'm gonna shoot all the 30lb carp I can see hahaha.

I'm going to my Hood River house this wknd. Might have to check out that tip from Jeff. Mike's spot looks like east a bit as well. If you want company Mike, I'm up for it, including during the week.

Also looking for nearby carp spots to start teaching my adult son in the evenings in free spearo, as he only has Sundays off to get to the coast. Anyone know of places with any workable viz and carp convenient to Portland?

Mike, can you PM me with this location if that's OK? We met recently re the Riffe.

I keep watching for Clackamette/lagoon to clear up for carp hunting... you can check the turbidity online at http://nwis.waterdata.usgs.gov/nwis/uv?site_no=14211010... OH, it's clear right now! Turbidity below 1.0 is good. the most recent hourly reading this am is 0.7. Water temp is in the mid-50's. Anyone up for checking it out today, this afternoon?

Cheers,
Leigh

Leigh, yes I'll PM you the location. And yes it is a little east of you but only a 35min drive.

I know for a fact that the Clackamas Lagoon holds carp. I've seen some monsters in there. I've attempted to bowfish and spearfish it with no luck, but I only tried once. I went in late summer a couple years back and viz was atrocious. I'm totally down for trying it again.

quattroluvr
05-31-2014, 09:14 PM
Regarding "out behind SDS lumber in the weed beds (there is a bay there)" if this is SDS Bingen vs SDS Longview... I checked out the only bay by SDS Bingen today and it was pea soup, maybe 1 ft viz. Basically anything directly connected to the Columbia is going to have shite for viz.
Leigh

MikePierce170
05-31-2014, 09:56 PM
Regarding "out behind SDS lumber in the weed beds (there is a bay there)" if this is SDS Bingen vs SDS Longview... I checked out the only bay by SDS Bingen today and it was pea soup, maybe 1 ft viz. Basically anything directly connected to the Columbia is going to have shite for viz.
Leigh

Yeah it's really hit or miss with the Big C. I think I'm going out tomorrow to try a couple spots that are just off the Columbia. I'm hoping for conditions similar to when I shot this video. Crossing my fingers :)