PDA

View Full Version : Dove the Willamette

Kyle M
06-08-2014, 10:17 PM
After several years of contemplating, today I finally dove the Willamette River. Upon entry I was quickly dismayed by the sight of a 50 gallon drum lying on the bottom. But soon I took notice of some small fish that were schooled near the edge and noticed a crawfish crawling up a nearby rock, so was glad to see life in the river. I spent some time looking for a couple of bass lures I had recently lost at this location but they were not to be found. Apparently they had become loose and drifted away as they were floating plugs. During my dive I was visited by a couple of good-sized bass which was encouraging, and this location was confirmed to be a good bass fishing spot, except for all the snags. The visibility was only about 4 feet which made it somewhat spooky because of all of the wooden pilings and other man-made detritus lying on the bottom. I'll continue to track the turbidity and try again if it improves because I would like to see more of the River and find what lurks beneath the waters that I see from my office building every day.

tomo
06-08-2014, 10:26 PM
Hi Kyle,
So you can scratch that one off of your bucket list. It is cool to have the unknown revealed, usually a bit different from what one imagines. Snaggy stuff in those rivers.

North Star
06-08-2014, 10:43 PM
I don't know how strong the current is in the river at that point, but be careful about being pushed into snags and being pinned there by the current.

Nwsportsman
06-08-2014, 10:57 PM
I love diving rivers! And yes some of the deeper holes can get spooky. You never know what your going to find.

Snags / strainers can be real dangerous. But when the current starts really ripping you through class II and III rapids.... thats not diving, your flying through the water.

Kyle M
06-08-2014, 11:04 PM
The portion of the river I was in was like a lake. Almost no current to speak of. I think it was one giant slow moving eddy. And I was super cautious, especially after seeing a few twists of old cable. I appreciate the words of caution though. Feels good to have us all looking out for each other.

LittleGoat
06-09-2014, 11:18 AM
Diving the Deschutes is similar: ~4 feet viz, lots of old metal snags, a few fishing lures, mostly can and bottles. I found an anchor there once that I use on my boat though.

cdog
07-24-2014, 01:02 AM
Saw a fishing show on TV where they were sturgeon fishing on the W somewhere in the Portland Metro area.