PDA

View Full Version : Morningwood trip 4/5, Jax.

slipknot
04-06-2003, 08:46 PM
As I loaded the truck,and headed for the boat,and slipped in my Drowning Pool CD, I had a feling it was gonna be a slay day. Not a slay day, but not half bad.
The crew was Bluegun, Mrs.Bluegun, non-member,and myself.1st. drop was BG, 80",. he missed the barge but came up with an AJ of 20lbs.Myself and NM next , we repositioned on the barge and after thorough inspection,and no shooter bottom fish ,I took a 10lb. AJ on the way up.I just wanted to kill something.Vis was 25-30ft. We moved out 8mls. to a ledge,and I managed 1 barely legal Gag.Next stop was a tug and Bluegun found a 25lb. Gag to feed some lead,but nothing else.I hit some culverts in the same area and BONED OUT.No shooter fish anywhere,saw 1 fair cobe on descent, but did'nt offer a shot. Last spring we did real good in this area.Last dive was myself, saw some undersize Gag's,and shot a 9lb. genuine.Then shot another gen. with about 5 more lbs. on him,but he shook the spear after he got in some steel plates.
I did'nt see a big fish all day,and Bluegun only saw that one.:confused:
Seas were 2-4,but laid down as the day went on , we hit one rouge roller on the way out that did'nt have any bottom,that sombitch hit HARD! .Well, as it turns out after further evaluation at the ramp, we broke a stringer on the outer port chine.So,on Monday, down to the insurance guy,we go.(I think we hit a log;) ) .yes,it was definitely a big log.
Bluegun should have some pic's in a follow up post.Not a great day by any means,but I'll take it.It was nice to get wet.
And we did'nt even have to dodge any egg sinkers,imagine that.Some of that West coast courtesy must be wearing off on us?
NNAAAAAAHHHHHH!!!!!!:D

100days-a-year
04-08-2003, 04:28 PM
Glad to see you fellas gettin' out .How long for the repairs?I think this weekends gonna be nice 2.

slipknot
04-08-2003, 04:49 PM
Don't know,Bluegun should of dropped it off at TNT fiberglass today.The insurance guy said "take it in , get it fixed,pay your $250 deductible,and I'll pay the rest". SAWEEEET!
Yeah, this weekend is looking allright for now. We will be fishing a Bluewater tournament out of St. Augustine.
Sounds like you had a similar day to ours, might have to try farther out on next trip. I hear the Jodi Lynn is HAMMERING the Gag's, & Genuines 35 mls. out.:mad:

blue gun
04-09-2003, 12:12 AM
slipknot with some dead fish

100days-a-year
04-09-2003, 04:31 PM
Jodi Lynn? They hate seeing little boats but they usually just fish a spot for a short while.I might go that way this weekend.Do you figure the tourney will f%ck up that excuse for a ramp at Vilano with traffic?

blue gun
04-09-2003, 06:24 PM
I think the tourney is striking fish only so it should be only BIG boats out of the conch house ect.... I see it's 3-5 now but that will most likely change by thurs. night

slipknot
04-09-2003, 06:52 PM
Where's the Grouper pic Bluegun??

100days-a-year
04-10-2003, 04:40 PM
Thanx,Bluegun....I think Mayport might work if NOAA is even close.