PDA

View Full Version : Pole Spear for OR/PNW Questions

JacobH
08-22-2014, 12:09 PM
Thinking about getting a pole spear but the more I look into it, the more companies and options I find.

How many of you guys use pole spears and do you prefer it over the gun? What brand do you use? What length? What kind of tips do you prefer?

Thanks for any opinions on the subject.

sixguns79
08-22-2014, 12:17 PM
I'm in Kodiak and I've got two pole spears, a 6' Biller and a 7' Gat-Ku three prong. I really like the Gat-Ku for black rockfish and greenling, it's damn fast and hits plenty hard.

cchen
08-24-2014, 12:05 PM
I started with a pole spear... they are super easy to load/get fish off. However, I personally prefer a gun. I think I would be able to harvest more fish with a gun versus a pole spear. (Unless I was scuba diving and in the middle of a big school of fish, then I'd probably be able to get like 3-5 fish with a pole spear in the time it takes to reload my gun)

juanacity
08-24-2014, 02:56 PM
I used a couple cheapy fiberglass pole spears for the first few years after I started spearfishing. They worked and it was fun. I always used three prong paralyzer tips. One time I got a replacement tip without barbs because the shop assured me it didn't make a difference: they were very wrong. Some people think it is important to start with a pole spear since its simpler than a speargun and helps you learn to stalk fish better. Another plus is I feel much safer when the people around me are using pole spears compared to spearguns. If I was going to get a new pole spear I would probably get something like the mako big game pole spear with single flopper tip. My friend has one and it works well.

That being said, when I got an 80 cm railgun, it felt like a major arms escalation: like going from a slingshot to a shoulder-fired missile. The speargun really opened up a whole new world in terms of hunting rockfish.