PDA

View Full Version : Spearing from Outer Banks, NC in May?

Distraction
04-11-2003, 10:16 AM
My family, some friends and I are taking my boat down to Avon, NC for a week in mid May.

My buddy and I want to know if there will be any decent spearfishing that time of year, around that area. If so, what are some good places to go?

Thanks!

Matt

frogman
04-11-2003, 10:31 AM
I have heard that spearing offshore Hatteras is GREAT: Tons of groupers, pelagics, african pompano and permit (which are legal to spear in NC). The depth are 60-100 FSW but the only drawback is that the good spots are WAY offshore (30-50 miles). I would ask a local about #'s (maybe Charlestondiving is willing to part with some)

Charlestondivin
04-11-2003, 01:15 PM
Thats WAAAAyyy north of my stomping grounds.

frogman
04-11-2003, 01:24 PM
I thought so but it was worth a try. Anyway, North Carolina/South Carolina=same difference for us down here.

bob_marlin
04-15-2003, 10:51 PM
Try around the jetties at the Hatteras Lighthouse, some spadefish and sheepshead around there, maybe other stuff, if you can get to the Diamond Tower, there will be larger fish out there, along with larger sharks! Bouys may be a good place to look for cobia, along with other smaller creatures. Have a great time, it is one of the best places to go! Bring surfboard, and take a fishing charter with John Onley in Hatteras Landing, ggood marlin that time of year, also many species caught in the surf of you have a four wheel drive. Drink a beer at the Sandbar, good place to go. Have fun

TEAM LEAKY TIKI

Distraction
04-23-2003, 05:04 PM
Where are the lighthouse jetties? Are they right at Buxton Point?

Anybody else ever spear out of there? Really trying to stay within 20 miles of the inlet just for travel time, but if I'm not going to find anything good there, I'll travel farther.

Also, has anyone been in the Sound? I would think viz would be pretty low, but there must be some good flounder. Any thoughts?

Thanks again!

Matt

bob_marlin
04-23-2003, 05:43 PM
The lighthouse Jetties are where the lighthouse used to be (they moved it, believe it or not) > when you go to the Nat. Seashore, keep going till end and turn left, its right over the dune, just watch out for surfers, (the jetties are actually groins, metal plates) , Ive acually caught flounder in that area. They are in Buxton, but they are not at the are tghat is usually called the point. That is Cape Point, also in Buxton about 1 mile south of jetties, only accessable by (a damn good) 4wd, and trust me, spearfishing is NOT an option there. I dont know about diving in the sound, the VAST majority of it is less than 8 feet deep and the water is dark and coffee colored, most of the fish that i have seen caught there are small as hell. Out be the inlet (also only accessable by 4wd) you may be able to jump in, but the current is very strong, LOTS of water moves through that inlet. Reply if you have more questions..................

Distraction
04-24-2003, 07:20 AM
I do have a 19' center console that I'm used to taking about 20 miles or so out in the ocean...I'd prefer that to shore entry, since I don't have a 4x4.

If I could wave a magic want, there'd be a place with 40-50' viz that's only a 30 minute or less boat ride from hatteras inlet, that's fairly shallow for longer bottom time. Maybe AR 220?

junior
04-24-2003, 08:09 AM
Let me know what you find up that way. My brother lives in NC and we are planning on an Outer Banks trip sometime this summer and plan on hitting some of the fabled wrecks up that way along with the requisite impaled fish or two.

kabo123
04-27-2003, 10:01 AM
well first of all you well probly be launching out or orgen inlet, it' s the closest to the inlet. the flounder spearing can be great if the (giggers) havent cleaned them out the night before. Be careful of the water there the wind and waves pick up pretty quick, it might be alright offshore but the inlet well be bad! you can get #'s from any bait shop< the chart cost around $20. if you have a good east wind the water well clear right up and you well have be ably to shoot just about anything. check out the wrecks in 70-90 ft of water for big amberjacks, kings ect ect. the drop offs inshore for those big flounder, or just off the beach if the water is flat (rairly is). i have shot 10 and 15 lb flounder along with nice trout and blues just out of the surf line in kitty hawk.
be careful there are alot of sharks, use your head.
kevin