PDA

View Full Version : West Palm Beach Trip

junior
04-12-2003, 07:11 PM
A buddy of mine just moved to West Palm Beach from the keys. He's got a 28' Catamaran and I'm going over to visit in a few week and do some spearing and maybe some trolling, but the dude does not know the area yet.

What are some good spots around the area for spearing? I dove WPB a few times and the reefs were excellent, but I was on a charter and don't know the exact locations. I'm sure he's got a bottom machine and we could find some decent stuff, but wanted to hear it from some of you local guys. Thanks.

Denny
04-13-2003, 07:56 AM
It is easy to find good spearing off of West Palm. The hard part is finding the divers afterward. There is only drift diving. You could never anchor and return to the boat. One of you should be equipped with a SERIOUS surface marker, a torpedo float like all the charters use. DO NOT kid yourself into thinking that you can drift along and follow the bubbles. It won't happen that way. Also, a Dive Alert and visible signal device, such as an inflateable tube, are needed. Do a charter dive the first morning you are there and get a feel for what is happening. I like Jim Abernathy's Dive Group.
Good luck, kill fish and stay alive to lie about it.
Dennis
OFFSHORE HUNTER- Waypoint management software for the Offshore Killer
www.offshorehunter.com

junior
04-13-2003, 09:00 AM
Thanks Dennis. I believe we met at the boat ramp at Maximo Park a few weeks ago. You handeded me a business card with the offshore hunter software logo. We were cutting fish at my boat. Anyway, thanks for the info on WPB. I worked on a boat in Ft. Lauderdale and it is the same deal on the drifting thing, but a little less current than WPB. I'm setting up a drift buoy before we go. I dove the Breakers, Trench and some other stuff a few years back and you are right about the current ripping, so not a problem getting the right stuff together. Thanks again. Doug

rusty
04-14-2003, 08:11 AM
Watch that current! Did 4 dives there yesterday, current at the Governers Walk (row of 4 wrecks in a N-S line with the current). Saw a pair of nice hogs on that dive, probably 15#'s each, in the sand, between the wrecks. Didn't have any guns with us:( , but did get to it and touched it by hand, before it swam away, I kept hoping I would find a lost gun on the bottom that I could use.

Back to the current, typical drop dive in WPB, current was ripping, over 5kts near the bottom, just saw the wreck, and was blown down current. We surfaced immediately, boat picked us up, and re-dropped up, went down fast and joined the group on the second wreck, several divers had their masks almost blown off.

Vis ranged from 25-50', I think the water temp. was around 73.

Spearchucker
04-14-2003, 09:16 AM
Rusty - Why would you dive without a gun??????? Are you Canadian?

rusty
04-14-2003, 02:16 PM
I brought it, they just wouldn't let me take it on the boat:confused: Something about a group of college students doing the open water checkout dives and guns not mixing...

But the scenery both above and below was nice.

Tried to hookup here on the coast for some spearfishing, but weather last week blew the vis. And I had 4 tanks that wanted to get wet.

Hogwild
04-14-2003, 03:41 PM
Guns and college students mix great. They just complain when you run that stringer through their eyes. :rolleyes:

kabo123
04-15-2003, 02:25 PM
well the diveing is great here if you can find spots that dont already have divers on them. I scuba north of the inlet or up in jupiter.
if you need a current, vis, or even a fish report you can email me before you get here and i'll try to help you out.

kabo123@yahoo.com

the current has been pretty slack and the vis is only 40 ft
if the current picks up the vis well improve.

junior
04-15-2003, 08:46 PM
Thanks kabo, I'll let ya know before heading over and see what the story is.

Hey Rusty, what boat did you dive over there?

rusty
04-16-2003, 10:30 AM
SS Minow, Renee was the Capt.

kitefisherman
04-16-2003, 11:06 AM
The problem with a lot of the Palm Beach dive boats is that the dives are lead by a divemaster. You basically have a follow the leader type dive, and it is hard to stop and catch lobsters, etc. if the rest of the group is moving on. Such an arrangement may make sense if there are a string of wrecks in a more or less North-South line so that all of the divers can find and visit each wreck. The system is designed for sightseeing and for visiting divers who may not have local knowledge or extensive dive experience. It is not designed for underwater hunting, and hunting may be banned if it may make some of the other divers uncomfortable or just banned altogether.

Twenty or so miles further South (in Boynton, Boca and Pompano), the dive boats usually let you break into groups of your own choosing (or may even let you dive solo), put each group on their own dive flag and let each group pursue their own activities at their own pace. When you come up from your drift dive, the boat comes and picks you up. Currents to the South are typically less than what I hear about up in Palm Beach although they do rip here at times. I strongly suggest getting this information before you book any charters.

On a related note, if you are looking for Palm Beach dive conditions, I suggest going to the Scuba Club site http://www.thescubaclub.com/ and clicking on the Daily Dive Report. It contains daily info from the club's West Palm Beach dive boat on water temp., clarity, current, etc. Note that these conditions may not translate exactly up and down the coast, but they will at least give you a general indication.

junior
04-16-2003, 11:16 AM
Thanks for the info. I'm going on a buddies boat when we head over that way. I dove with Koller's Reef a few times and they were a pretty cool outfit...3 tanks and lunch gig. Don't know if they allow spearing though.

Diverdave76
04-18-2003, 10:30 AM
Junior,
If you run a little north towards the Ft Pierce area, there are some good wrecks up that way. The Rincon and the Amazon come to mind right off the bat. I've taken some nice fish off each. Recently saw some huge Cobia on the Amazon. The only problem is that vis drops a bit as you go north.

Dave

swathdiver
04-24-2003, 01:11 AM
I live in Boynton. E-mail me a few days before heading over and I'll dig up some numbers for you guys.