PDA

View Full Version : Upper Keys Spearfishing

Bolton
06-02-2005, 10:32 AM
I was under the impression that it was illegal to spear north(or east) of Marathon. But I recently talked to someone who says he does it regularly and goes out on charter boats and does it. What gives?? Anybody know what is legal or not? Thanks

Bolton

smilinmatt
06-02-2005, 10:58 AM
He's either going outside State Waters, or he's south (west) of the boundary. I believe the proper way to do it is to stow your gear and not make any stops in State waters. The no spearing boundary is the south (or west) end of Long Key. That gives a little more than 10 miles between Marathon and the boundary.

Denny
06-04-2005, 05:59 AM
You only have to be three miles offshore before you can spear. Pennekamp park is a forbidden zone for spearfishing gear, as are a few areas that are small and well marked (Research Zones marked with huge yellow buoys which are off limits to any fihsing activity).

normanhghntr
06-04-2005, 04:52 PM
make sure if you spear you do not stop in any park or preserve with speared fish! also if you have no fish and guns on board , unloaded and stowed in any state park preserve or no take zone have fun